Trails In The Sky

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trails In The Sky

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 pm

It seems like there are more Contrails out this time of year when the weather is colder. I saw 6 or 7 of them parallel to each other running north and south. I remember when I was little straining to identify the plane making them. Planes were always something cool that was around in the sixties in the countryside in Indiana. It was always amazing to me that man could touch and make such a mark on such high skies.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails In The Sky

Post by willy3486 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 am

I was talking with someone one day about airplanes and we got to talking about the SR 71 blackbird. They wondered why we still don't use them. I said think of it like this. There had been about 60 years between the Wright brothers flight in 1903 and the design of the blackbird. I then said there has almost been the same amount of time from the Wright brothers flight to the sr71 as there was from the design of the sr71 to today. I said there is no telling the technology we have today in place we don't know about.

I worked one place and a fellow there had retired from the Military. He had been in charge of the SR71s at a base. I learned a lot of things about them from him. They were really interesting planes. As far as planes goes back in the 80s I told my wife if I ever found a shell of a plane I would cut it down and turn it into a building to do repairs in. I said I would call it the fly by night fix it shop.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm

You know they experimented with an interceptor version of the SR71, called the YF-12A.
It was to boogie at mach 3+ to a bomber--or formation of them--and launch unguided nuclear tipped Genie rockets at it/them.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:55 pm

That was supposed to be the original purpose of that overall design. ICBM's rendered the intercept mission moot. Nice to see you around, Ragwire! There was a SAC installation near where I grew up that operated B-58's. Those would give the trails and shake your windows, too.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Several reports that they still fly out of Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson.

I don't live too far from there and if so, you can sure hear it as it traverses the entire open sky in less than a minute but is never visible.

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top