Transistor totables

Go down

Transistor totables

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm

I have always liked the Bigger transistor radios for Power and sound quality, the newer ones are no match for the older ones Sad
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Transistor totables

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am

the only transistor radio i have is mabye from the late 60'S? And you would never think the music is coming from that!... Although no match for a tube
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:16 pm

I like the big portables also. The GE Superadio II has been my daily driver in my work van, but it will soon be retired to home baseball duty.
After 24 years I am finally getting a van with a radio AND air conditioning! I just won a Telefunken Bajazzo which looks cool in pictures, but
will have to wait and see how well it sounds.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:25 am

Many years ago I got one of those nice Nordmende portables at a hamfest for next to nuthin. Man, it was a great radio but had a nylon ball-and-chain drive for the SW bands that was broken and seemed irreplaceable at the time.

I wish I had it now!

I'm not a big fan of solid-state or chinese anything but my little Kaito KA1103 is a shining star in my shack.
exray

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:02 am

Bill, The Kaito 1102 is pretty amazing too for a little pocket radio. One of these days I'll have to try
one of their larger models.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

totable radios

Post by bill alexander on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 pm

I have two radios I use all the time and they are not tube Radios..One is a older
Panasonic am only Model R-1559 best one I have used, runs on four 1.5v batteries or ac..pulls the stations in like crazy..saw one on e-bay and the guy took pay-pal only so I had to pass..Have a Older GE Model7-2880B The first generation Super-Radio Paid
5$ at a garage sale..took it home CLA and it works like new..beats all the other DX
radios in the house...OH by the way the Panasonic was selling for One Dollar, I plugged
it in at the Sale and it did not work, the guy gave it to me for free, after I soldered
a new battery holder in and cleaned the switches,,it worked like a Trooper. felt so
bad I drove back and gave the guy his dollar....
bill alexander

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FM Refugee on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 am

My modest radio collection currently consists entirely of this type of large portables. I have:
--A Grundig Satellit 205 (Transistor 5000), the original Satellit model (that was being sold as a 'parts' radio because someone had destroyed the first IF can; I was able to construct a substitute out of the remains and get it working)
--A Panasonic RF-880L (European version; bought it through eBay-Germany several years ago...has LW instead of MB on it)
--A Nordmende Globetraveler IV (my personal favorite...see avatar!)...needs the VHF tuner fixed...but in near-perfect physical shape...
exray wrote:Many years ago I got one of those nice Nordmende portables at a hamfest for next to nuthin. Man, it was a great radio but had a nylon ball-and-chain drive for the SW bands that was broken and seemed irreplaceable at the time.
...I've also got one like that: a Type 191 'Globemanager' (German domestic model; US equivalent would have been a 'Globetraveler super')...curious to know which one yours was...
...also have a Panasonic RQ-222 cassette recorder thrown in for good measure (the older version with the 'slide-in' case)...ok, so it's not a radio, but it has a special place in my memories...

...I'm always on the lookout for a few other goodies; wish list would include the likes of:
--Zenith Royal 7000 (the earlier ones, not the Taiwan R7000)
--Panasonic RF-3000 and/or RF-5000
--Panasonic RF-2200 (to replace the one I lost earlier this year... Evil or Very Mad )
--other Nordmende Globetrotter/Globetraveler models (II, III, Pro, TN6001...)
--Sony CRF-5090 or CRF-5100 'Earth Orbiter'
--Sony ICF-5900
--Sony CRF-150 or CRF-160
--Schaub-Lorenz 'Touring international 101/102/103' (only find those in Germany...shipping costs affraid )
...I'm not asking for too much, am I? lol!
FM Refugee

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by FM Refugee on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

...update...

...in the past couple of months I have actually filled in a couple of things on my 'wish list':

--did succeed in replacing my RF-2200. It was an eBay BIN for $160 (they typically go for considerably more, BIN or otherwise), and there was a reason for it: the telescopic antenna had been replaced at some point, but it was done reasonably well (the antenna rod had been replaced with some type of 'universal' replacement, but it fits properly and, more importantly, it works), and the 'gyro' antenna has a piece of plain metal on it instead of the original graduated dial plate (but it was perfectly fitted and does not affect the actual operation of the antenna). It will need a few drops of Deoxit and perhaps a little RF and IF tweaking, but it runs, and it's nice to have one of these again...I got a lot of mileage (literally!...it went with me on all my international travels...) out of the one I bought new in January 1978 and had until last year...

--joined the 'Zenith T/O club' by picking up a Royal D7000Y. Judging from component code dates, build date was early- to mid-1974. Another eBay BIN, this time $120...could have done better pricewise, I'm sure, but from what I've seen on eBay I could also have done an awful lot worse!...bearing in mind, of course, that these sold new for close to $300...This one is in very good cosmetic condition, but had a couple of issues at first (seller was up-front about them): no dial lights and no reception on FM. Dial lights turned out to be a dirty light/battery meter switch; a little Deoxit took care of that in very short order. FM problem turned out to be a bad oscillator transistor; replaced that and all is well with the FM again. It could use some battery tubes, and the log/chart book is missing (seller was up-front about that, too; I know that reproduction log/chart books for these are available, and there have been some good suggestions on ARF about making your own battery tubes)...and man, is this critter heavy...

--and finally, I actually succeeded in getting hold of one of those ITT Schaub-Lorenz models I mentioned: a 'Touring international 103'. It's a German domestic model (everything on its dial is in German only), but it is 100% compatible with US operation (it has the 'complete' 88-108 FM band and it can be operated on 120V AC by removing and reversing a cover over the line cord receptacle in the back). The radio came from eBay-Germany and was not terribly expensive considering it had to be shipped overseas from Hamburg, Germany; total cost was 53.50 Euro (35 Euro was for the shipping). These don't seem to be particularly rare in Germany (I usually see several of them on eBay-Germany at any given time), but they certainly are not something you see every day over here. It is in good cosmetic condition, but it also had issues: only received on FM and one of the SW bands (it has four) and low volume, dial lights didn't work, on-off switch didn't work, and needed a thorough cleaning (apparently had been somewhere where people smoked; it had that telltale tobacco smoke film on it). When I first tried it out, I was getting FM and all of the SW bands, but no MW (AM) or LW. Also plenty of volume, but if I jiggled the bandswitches I would lose some (out came the Deoxit again...). Also the dial pointer for the AM bands was broken (fixed that with a staple and heat). I gave the case of the radio a good cleaning to get rid of the tobacco film when I had all the innards out of it, and then found out why the on-off switch didn't work: the internal moving contacts were missing and someone had just bridged across it. The original on-off switch was a rocker switch with a rather elaborate system for moving the contacts: an arm on the rocker engaged a plastic slider which moved two contacts. I got a little DPDT slide switch from RS, ground down the actuator and put a notch across the middle of it for that arm, then super-glued the switch into the original switch casing, connected the wires correctly to it and super-glued the whole thing into place. Although not original, it functions like the original again. Also put two new bulbs in for the dial lights and got those working again. But now I have a new problem: I have no reception at all Evil or Very Mad . I get the normal background noise on FM, but no stations. Sounds like no oscillator. Also no activity or noise on the other bands. I suspect Suspect I have lost the voltage regulator transistor for the RF and IF circuits (T305)...I have a copy of the schematic for it (thanks to Radiomuseum.org); I should eventually be able to track this down... study
FM Refugee

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tube radio on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:42 am

I just bought this one for $2.00 seems like it has everything imaginable on it.

Radio Shack SW-100 MultiBand Radio

Has: AM - CB - SW1 - SW2 - TV1 - TV 2 - Air - Weather bands

Battery or AC Operated.

TUNING/BATTERY Meter DIRECTION FINDER Telescoping Antenna.

I found the manual on line but no pictures.

Lee

tube radio

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mbird97x on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Those Kaito/Degen 1102's and 1103's are a lot of bang for the buck. Plug in a pair of amplified computer speakers and you would think it's a console. I have an 1102 Degen version.
mbird97x

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Naddy69 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Yeah the 1102's are nice. I have Degen and a Kaito. Both are amazing performance in such a small package.

Naddy69

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down