Speakers 12 ohm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speakers 12 ohm

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:03 pm

I recently got a new receiver, a Harmon Kardon HK395i and it has been performing quite well unitl today. I was trying to watch a movie with my old 8" speakers hooked up that I found on the curb about 2 years ago. I just assumed they were normal 8 ohm speakers, but my receiver was cutting out with them every time the bass would hit, even though the bass was flat or down. So I unhook one and measure the impedance with my ohm meter and I was getting around 12 ohms. Just for comparision I did the same on my Fisher speakers and got a solid 8 ohms. Now the manual for this receiver said to use 8 ohm load only, but I figured with them being a higher impedance it should be just fine, but lose some power. Now I also have stuff on top of it, but I'm using 2 3.5" HDD's to allow enough room for venting. So would the 12 ohm speakers cause me problems or should I give it more ventilation?
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Speakers 12 ohm

Post by CaptainClock on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Usually squakers that are rated for 12 ohms like that are usually speakers meant for a tube amplifier because tube amplifiers are often rated at oddball impedances like 3.5 ohms or 6 ohms or 12 ohms or even 36 ohms, which is because tubes are known for having oddball impedances for their output transformers and output stages in general. When a Solid State amp says it wants an 8 ohm load only you use an 8 ohm load because otherwise you can risk damaging your output transistors. If you have an old stereophonic tube amp, use those 12 Ohm speakers on that instead and find another set of vintage speakers that are rated at 8 Ohms to use in their place on your H-K receiver. By the way, your speakers aren't affected by ventilation as speakers don't emminate heat of any type (unless you're over powering them well beyond their rated power but then your voicecoil on your speaker would either catch on fire or they would just massively deform and cause the speaker to be non-functioning anymore because of a warped voice coil) but under normal use speakers don't give off any heat and thus don't need ventilation, and thus the ventilation point you bring up is not even necessary in this situation.
Hope this helps.

Levi

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top