I have been busy the last two days.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have been busy the last two days.

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 pm

When I was a kid I loved to work on old radios when I got a snow day. I hardly ever take any days off except a couple of times a year so I usually take a day off when it snows here as there is almost no work to do at work. I took yesterday and today off. First was a phillips radio. I was expecting it to be the hardest but I believe it was the easiest. It was made so well and has such good components I didn't have to change much. The next one was a silvertone 13 that had afew parts loose. I almost didn't work on it but I finally found a schematic in my computer files from the rider volume 23. I have up to the 20th volume. The next was a green Arvin. It was a simple recap and new cord. Those 3 were fixed yesterday. Then today I got a Philco 36-250. It was probably the biggest pain to do. Someone had been in it before. I got it from a fellow who I got a few that were worked on before. This one at one time had someone to add terminal for a extra speaker. Then they tinkered around with the antenna wires for some odd reason. After I got it back together I tried it and was picking up stations. The riders I had for it was for a PM speaker and this had a coil for its magnet. But I was able to figure it out. I will need to strip all the coats of latex paint and then fix the busted cabinet. Then I think I will paint it ivory as I found some on the web done like that.

The last one was a Air Chief S-7426-5 . This one is my favorite. It was given to me by my aunt back in the 80s. It needed a simple recap. I also need to do a lot to its cabinet as it is comming apart. But it is in good enough shape I should be able to fix it up. I have videos of all these playing on the link below. I have started to post videos of all the ones I restore. I also have a video of a Traveler radio I fixed over the weekend , the Truetone record player and radio I did for a fellow,and a couple of RCAs I have done since Christmas. I have some older videos as well. Ignore any talk radios as that is all I could pick up at the time. Anyway I thought some of you would get a kick out of the videos.

My youtube channel

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I have been busy the last two days.

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

It's good that you are getting back into your radios. I am glad that you are spending more time here on the forums. We always appreciate your input, Willy. I have the complete Riders on CD at home.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Tinkering on radios is one thing that relaxes me. I really need that with all I have to deal with. When I find some pdf or similar file on anything radio related I download it. Even if I have no need of it. I have found out if it is here today it can be gone tomorrow. I do enjoy being here but I am swamped at times. Sometimes at work I pop in. With work sometimes I can pop in. I can have 5 computers reloading and I can't do any thing else so just sitting drives me crazy.

Usually in the winter is when I have free time for radios. I would work on them in the warmer months but there is too much to do.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 pm

My wife sends me to the garage to get me out of her hair. I don't tinker as much in winter as I do in the summer. I don't have the room here. About all I do here is triage something in preparation of taking it home for restoration. And take care of little things that happen to the stuff I have here. That keeps me busy at times. My wife's mobility is not as good as it used to be, so I have to play help out more.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top