Radio Coroner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Radio Coroner

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Had a guy bring in his radio for repair this evening that was soaked through and through. He said it was in his backpack and got wet. You don't know what a load that is off my mind. Usually they bring in a radio like that then later on they will tell you it fell in while they were pulling their pants up. UGH! The unit had already begun to corrode and was uneconomical to repair. Now I get to explain this to each person in his chain of command. He had his smartphone in there too. I told him it was a goner.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Radio Coroner

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 pm

The radio may be a goner, but the phone may be able to be saved. You have to pretty much put it in a container of rice right away though. Taking the battery out can speed the process along too. However sometimes a phone is too far gone before it gets put in the rice. By covering it in rice and sealing the container, the rice should absorb the moisture from the phone but if the phone was wet too long the damage could already be done.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 pm

If it was wet the same time as the radio, it is too late for the rice treatment. He said it was acting a bit funny. He walks and inspects the tracks and must've dropped his pack in a pool alongside the rails.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:49 pm

If it was acting funny, that means the water was probably shorting out different circuits inside the phone. If it was dropped in a pool, then the damage is really done because of the chlorine.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:09 am

The kind of pool I'm talking about is standing water along a railroad grade. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:37 am

As a radio coroner, how do you give a smart phone a decent burial? I suppose they recycle them somehow, yes?

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:04 pm

That or sell it to a repair place for salvage parts.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:46 pm

I guess I am a computer coroner. At work I see spills quite a bit. Usually the rice bit doesn't work on the ones I see. The funniest thing I see when this happens is the attitudes of the people that do it. All the way from " I don't know how that happened" to the irritating " its dead now get me another". Thankfully I don't have to bother with getting them others. One fellow who drops by from the college one time brought me this four week old top of the line Macbbook pro. He came back after a week and asked about it. I told him you must me a deep water baptist. He said why did I say that. I told him because he held this computer under water until it really repented. He laughed and told me that he had bought it for his girlfriend and her son dropped it in the bathtub. It was so bad when he brought it to me it had happened two weeks before and I still found water in it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 am

willy3486 wrote:I guess I am a computer coroner. At work I see spills quite a bit. Usually the rice bit doesn't work on the ones I see. The funniest thing I see when this happens is the attitudes of the people that do it. All the way from " I don't know how that happened" to the irritating " its dead now get me another". Thankfully I don't have to bother with getting them others. One fellow who drops by from the college one time brought me this four week old top of the line Macbbook pro. He came back after a week and asked about it. I told him you must me a deep water baptist. He said why did I say that. I told him because he held this computer under water until it really repented. He laughed and told me that he had bought it for his girlfriend and her son dropped it in the bathtub. It was so bad when he brought it to me it had happened two weeks before and I still found water in it.

My favorite was;"the printer in er stopped printing, we don't know why" well this large glass of water that came pouring out if it had something to do to make it stop.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Sometimes I feel like firemen I know. They live at the firehouse for a day or so. They can't do much except for sit around. Then they get a call and go out to work putting a fire out. I will get a bunch at one time or nothing to do. When there is nothing to do I usually play coroner and gut computers for parts. My most aggravating time on a printer was this. I get a call from a teacher about 20 years ago. Her printer wasn't printing and I asked if she had paper ,she said yes. I told her I was working on a report and I wouldn't be there until the next day. Ten minutes later the principal calls on same issue. I tell him tomorrow. 30 minutes later the Director of schools asked. I said I am working on the report but if you want me to go I will, He did so I left. This was the most remote school we had and it took me 30 minutes to get there. I want in the room and she starts fussing about how she spent hours trying to fix it and she needed it badly and how she couldn't wait. I got it going and told her it was running. She said that was fast she had tried everything and asked how I got it going so fast. I told her easy , I just put paper in the printer. I said that and every kid heard me, I turned around and walked out.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm

I did warranty repair work to fill in at the Motorola shop where I worked. Water damage was the first croaker, followed by driving over the device. There has been particular strains of mold identified that thrive on the materials used in SMD based circuits. If the initial wetting doesn't take out the item, the corrosion and mold infiltration will.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am

I have fixed many a printer by simply turning it on.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:49 pm

I was the AV director for the Doral Country club in Miami.  One time I got a call at home that there was a problem with the sound in the dining room.  Now this was a big deal since a live band was playing.  So I got up and drove over to the club.  Yep- there was definitely feedback.  I went up on the stage and messed with the microphones, nothing.  Then I went back to the main amplifier and one at a time turned down the controls.  It still didn't stop.  Then I unplugged the whole amp and the sound still didn't stop.  It turned out to be some bored debutante twirling her finger on her wine glass.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:01 am

One of the best stories on fixing an items was this. When I worked in Nashville at a corporate HQ there was a server that the logic board died. We were a hospital chain and they sent the tech in a limo to the airport. He flew out asap when he got there to Texas. He went in another limo to the Dell factory and picked up a replacement logic board then back to the airport to the jet. He got a first class round trip just to pick a single logic board.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top