George Cook

Go down

George Cook

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Who? Shocked

A friend gave me a stack of 78's awhile back and I found a Decca record, in really good condition, by this artist. George Cook and the Polecats, polka band extraordinaire. I had not heard of this artist before nor since. He had a competent polka band, though. "The Turnpike Polka" and "Working on the Railroad Polka." Both numbers written and arranged by George Cook. "Male Vocalist with accompaniment". "Working on The Railroad Polka" is basically the song we sang in grade school, arranged appropriately for a polka beat. "Turnpike Polka" is interesting in that it has the best banjo part I ever heard on a polka record. My guess is that Mr. Cook's band was basically a western swing band with somebody playing a concertina and calling the band a polka band. There was a steel guitar, drummer, rhythm guitar, as well as a trumpet, banjo and the squeeze box. This record is one of those gems I run across occasionally that makes finding and collecting 78's fun for me.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: George Cook

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 am

Thats one I have never heard of. I have quite a few 78s myself. I need to get them all together in one place, I have some in a drawer , where I store my records , upstairs ,etc. I got into collecting LPs as well. I have got a ton of them at goodwill. I may have had 5 LPs at the most a few years ago now I have a couple of hundred. If you go to goodwill and buy 5 to 10 a time they add up. My favorite LPS now are the ones from the 50s to 60s, I have some Como,Julie London, Sinatra, Dean Martin ,Sammy Davis,etc. I picked up a LP with Tito Puente  doing Oye Como Va years before Santana did it. I think its better than Santannas version. On 78 I have found some good ones recently in the last year. I got some Kay Star, Artie Shaw and a few others. One artist I have found over the last few years is Billy Eckstine. He has a very distinctive and smooth voice.  Another one I have found is Jonah Jones. He played the trumpet and how he is not known like Louie Armstrong is beyond me. He really is a great trumpeter. Any way if I see a 78 at a decent price I always get them .

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

Here's one on Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Polkas-by-GEORGE-COOK-with-NORM-KNUTH-LP-Delta-/190419150861?hash=item2c55dda80d:m:m48alYAExWnrKspp2raDVXA

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 am

MEZLAW wrote:Here's one on Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Polkas-by-GEORGE-COOK-with-NORM-KNUTH-LP-Delta-/190419150861?hash=item2c55dda80d:m:m48alYAExWnrKspp2raDVXA

I bet that would be a good one to get. It has a organ on it as well. Thats something else I have gotten in is organ music. I have this record and it is one of the best and most relaxing organ LPs I have. It has a great mellow sound.

I also have quite a few Lenny Dees albums.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:41 pm

OMG!  What one can find on the Internet.  Wonder what happened to the Pole-cats.  I looked again, there is a hyphen in Polecat.  In stereo yet!  I kinda like the guy's music.

I looked at the link again. "Georgie" Cook. Wonder if it is the same guy as plain old "George" Cook? It appears that George or Georgie is a banjo player. The album in the link has an organ player with George. I wonder if he "borrowed" the Pole-Cats for the record I have?

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down