A Source for Transistors?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Source for Transistors?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 pm

I am curious if anyone knows a good source for transistors that is not outrageous or has outrageous shipping costs? I may end up looking into to replacing the transistors on 1 side of my Yamaha Receiver. Each side uses two C3182's and two A1265's. I looked on eBay and Amazon, they were a bit on the pricey side on those sites. I also looked on Parts Express, Radioshack, Mouser and Digikey along with a few other websites that were supposed to be dedicated to just transistors, and none had what I'm looking for. Any help would be great, thanks.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: A Source for Transistors?

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:09 pm

I have a bunch of transistors at home I would sell. My guess is that they are all older, but I don't know that.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 am

Do you know if you have any of the type I would need? If so, what would you want for them? In the event I go through with a repair attempt.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:47 am

I don't know what type you need. That is the problem. If you could identify what you need, we could go from there.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:54 am

I don't know how much the sources you mentioned ask, but they appear to be available on Ebay. Enter your part number on the all categories search.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 am

Each side uses two C3182's and two A1265's, those are the numbers on the transistors.
On eBay the 3182's were 10.00 for two, but only avaliable like that from one seller, and they only have that one pair. The 1265's were 8.00 each. Of course those were sellers in the U.S., Chinese sellers were a bit cheaper but not by much.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 pm

I use to get a lot of stuff from MCM electronics but switched to allied electronics since they usually carry more caps and have what I need to recap a radio.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Mezlaw, I seen that listing. I rather not buy from a Chinese seller, if I don't have to. Stuff from China can take upto 2 weeks to get over here.
Willy, Allied does not carry the transistors I would need. Even if they did, some of their similar transistors were between 7 and 8.00 each, not including shipping.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:45 pm

I forgot to mention Digikey. Through the years I have always bought a few extra pieces when I get parts. So now after decades doing this I have a selection of items. One of the best learning expirences I ever had was working in a few repair shops. I learned a lot on pricing and such. Now What I do is look in my parts bin and then when I get low on enough Items I usually buy in bulk, last order a few weeks ago I bought 200 worth of caps. By doing away with that you get stuff cheaper and can get more. Since I mostly do tube stuff on my own I buy very few transistors. Last time I actively bought transistors in any amount was about 20 years ago.

I don't do a lot of repairs but I do some. I am very selective so as to weed out the trouble customers now. I usually do 2 or 3 a year but that usually pays a big part of my radio show trips. If you enjoy doing this as a hobby slowly build up a stock. You don't have to buy a lot just here and there. Back when I was in tech school I had a fellow with a second hand shop I checked out his TVs he got. As payment I got a lot of old tube stuff and the guts to dead TVs. Neither of us would rip the other off so it worked out good. I would also pick up dead TVs and such. I then could fix mine I found and many times get from my junk pile. When I got married I had probably 2 or 3 truckloads of TV parts. But that made me a lot of running around money selling stuff I found and fixed.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:00 pm

I went there too, apparently they don't carry transistors at all. When you search, it does not bring up any results, just flashes the homepage. I figured it'd be easy and cheap to get transistors, but apparently not. It seems like if your audio equipment is not Tube or IC, good luck on fixing it. I say that because it sure seems like you can get almost any output tube for stereos easily and most of the time cheaply and it seems like IC's are common too.
Most of the stuff I've taken apart usually has IC's in it, and thats something I won't mess with.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:19 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:
Most of the stuff I've taken apart usually has IC's in it, and thats something I won't mess with.

What I do a lot of times if I am building something or repairing something I will install a IC holder on it then put the IC on it. I don't burn up the new part and I can replace it easy the next time. I mostly design and build with 7400 series,586s and other older IC and it works great like this.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Well after 3 days, it had 3 watchers and nobody made the move, at 120.00 OBO. So I relisted it one final time for 105 OBO, then a buyer offered me 60.00 right after the relist, and I obviously declined the offer. So if i can't get at least 95-100.00, it will be time to start looking into the issue. WC, if you could look to see if you have the transistors I need, that would be great. If you hve them and I can afford them, I'll get them regardless to have on hand, just in case. Thanks
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 pm

If you are not in a big hurry, I will be happy to set you up with any that I have that will work. I will never use them. It will be a couple of months before I get back home, but they will be cheap. Maybe free if you cover postage.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 pm

That will be fine. It will be awhile before I look at it and troubleshoot it. Thanks.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top