What other hobbies do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What other hobbies do you have?

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm not sure we have ever discussed this topic here. IT might be fun to find out what else members of this forum spend their time on. Tell what kind of "radio" things you work on as well as other hobbies you may have.

Besides radio related items, I also collect Buicks, electric fans and Sunbeam Mixmasters.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: What other hobbies do you have?

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:08 pm

I like to restore old Ford trucks, Ford cars, and Ford tractors.

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Film photography and gardening. Last fall we finally bought and assembled our first greenhouse, 10' x 20', unheated, not for year round use, just for extending the growing season a month or so.

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm a book nut and have collected a decent library over the years. I also do a bit of wood carving and woodburning (pyrography).
ve1arn

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm

I also collect and restore old jukeboxes, telephones and vintage appliances for starters.
Tony V

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:07 pm

I collect license plates, antique and out of service ones I have 2 Ohio 1956 and a Michigan 1954. Antique pop bottles and I particually like the Bicentennial bottles. I currently have the set of 3 Pepsi ones empty and 1 full. I'm attempting to get the other two full sometime. I also collect antique phones, out of the few I have the most unique and probably the most valuable is my 1950's WE 5304. That is a variation of the 5302, which was Western Electrics way of modenizing the 302 to look like the new 500's for the rural customers that couldn't afford the 500 and use extra parts they had on hand. I just like that kind of stuff and generally don't spend much money on it.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 am

I didn't think about gardening as a hobby, but I do this also and I'm presently collecting heirloom seeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 am

MEZLAW wrote:I didn't think about gardening as a hobby, but I do this also and I'm presently collecting heirloom seeds.

I know, it seems a bit odd to consider gardening a hobby, but .... we don't preserve anything for the winter, and we don't have any real plan for the garden except to enjoy it. It's never the same, year after year, we're always changing something in it, moving things around, so I think for us it's really a hobby.

Collecting heirloom seeds is an excellent thing to do. I have never done it, but the reading I have done on it has been interesting. Have you had an opportunity to donate to the heirloom seed repository in Svalbard?

CrazyCanuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 am

Have you had an opportunity to donate to the heirloom seed repository in Svalbard?

I didn't know about it.

BTW.......gardening is an excellent hobby. As I get older I plan to do raised beds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Do you have a link to the repository in Svalbard?

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 am

MEZLAW wrote:Do you have a link to the repository in Svalbard?

I think this should work :

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/food-fisheries-and-agriculture/landbruk/svalbard-global-seed-vault/id462220/

CrazyCanuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am

It does work, good to know and thanks! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:30 pm

I started out with tube stuff then I got into computers. I got tired of dealing with people on old tube stuff and got into redoing my old truck. It took too long and cost to much. I don't ever want to redo a vehicle. I then got into fixing up old power tools but quit after I got a shop set up with saws,drill presses,lathes,etc. It wasn't bad to do. Fairly easy and cost was not bad, most vintage tools could be bought for the same or less of the new Chinese made tools that don't last. I think the highest was 100 for a metal lathe. I quit rebuilding them as I had a shop set up like I wanted. I also fix anything old as a hobby. I have all kinds of hammers,shovels, etc I have fixed up. I also have redone Victorian furniture to go into our Victorian looking house.

Due to elderly relatives we help with about 10 years back I got a vintage camper to restore so we could go on "vacation" at a park 15 minutes from home. I rebuilt a scotty and a Aristocrat. I quit as I have no more room for more. I may build a teardrop later. Since I have fixed up so much stuff I cut back on restoring anything other than radios. After our daughter graduated HS and we had more time I got back into radios. So now its mainly radios. I do gardening and well as raising chickens. Chickens are comical to watch as they are not the brightest creatures to ever breathe.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 pm

I collect radios, Telephones and and firearms. I have built a FAL type semiautomatic rifle from loose parts and did the metal finishing on it. I do much of my own auto repair work.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:33 pm

I also collect coleman Gas power Appliances (Lanterns, stoves etc)
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:52 pm

I am surprised no one said they collect these

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:30 pm

willy3486 wrote:I am surprised no one said they collect these

Good one Willie! Just yesterday I was telling a few friends; "I am now into collecting money."

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Here is a pic of the rifle I built...

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 am

Where do you get the kits? Do you need a back ground check?

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:48 am

On The kits, you can get pretty much all the parts of the rifle, except for the receiver, which is considered as the firearm, as it carries the serial number and is the portion subject to the FFL regs for purchase.  Also, there are regulations on the number of domestic new manufacture parts required to be included in the firearms' construction.  Those are required under the 922(R) regulations. Here is one popular source of parts kits and accessories.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 am

I work with a fellow who likes to work on and  makes his own guns. He has bought a bunch of the recievers and he mills something on them. He has the mentality he needs them, more than just the 2nd amendment rights which I won't go into details here. He seems to be the paranoid type. He thinks these fake photos of 50 foot giants are real and that the Mississippi river will have an earthquake that causes a 50 mile split down the middle of the country.  Now he thinks someone is trying to recruit him for some secret organization that will not let him know who they are. If you have seen the movie a beautiful mind you get an idea. So he builds up his arsenal. I asked him if it could be a sting with the ATF since he has bought so many gun parts. He said no but I wonder.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Another of my hobbies is railroading. I belong to the C&O Historical Society located in Clifton Forge Virginia. I collect railroad lanterns as well as oil lamps.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Another of my hobbies is railroading. I belong to the C&O Historical Society located in Clifton Forge Virginia.  I collect railroad lanterns as well as oil lamps.

If you ever get down my way check out the Tennessee valley railroad museum in Chattanooga. I have been there a few times and its great. They even restore the trains there.
http://www.tvrail.com/

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 pm

I collect telephones, obsolete currency (especially proofs), pocket watches and wrist watches.  I also make knives, some of which can actually be used to cut something.  Many of the early knifes could better be described as craft projects.

I also collect coins, have tried my hand at painting with oils, and repairing watches.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:15 pm

I also collect phones, military and home types, and clocks. I do much of my own auto repairs too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top