Need suggestions on a record player.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need suggestions on a record player.

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I have a truetone 1845 from the late 40s I am fixing for a friend. So far I have it almost done except for the record player. I got lucky and had a smaller NIB ceramic cartridge than it originally had. It seems to put out a great sound so I probably will go with this. The last issue I see with it is the speed of the turntable. It seems to be going around 40 to 55 rpm instead of 78. I took it apart and the idler was dry and not gripping. I expiremented some and I found out a O Ring will fit it perfect and right thickness. The old rubber tire came right off like the way old VCR tires did. I can put it on and it runs and seems to grip. The shaft of the motor seems to have a wire wrapped around it for some reason. It is pushed down the shaft and does not make direct contact to the idler wheel.

Other than my zenith I use this is the first record player like this I have worked on in 30 years. So I have forgot anything I knew. This is a family heirloom so to speak so he wants this original one working, no newer replacements. With that said has anyone had a issue with these old players being slow and what are the usual fixes? Here are some photos .

Here is the player

Idler and motor.

new tire

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Need suggestions on a record player.

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 pm

My only suggestion would be to take the motor apart, soak the bearings with lacquer thinner overnight, then re-oil with turbine oil or synthetic motor oil (or whatever) and see if that helps. Are there any rubber mounts on the motor assembly? Are the mounts still pliable and soft? It looks to me like you have the rest pretty much covered. Magnavox/Collaro changers have a spring on the motor shaft. It's job is to space the fan on the motor and the drive shaft for the platter drive. You have to make sure the spring is on correctly or the fan will fall into the motor and make a racket, or the drive shaft for the platter will not be positioned correctly, affecting the speed. For what that is worth.....

Good luck, Willy.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks. I think when I get home tomorrow I will take the motor apart and clean it as suggested. Then put it back together the next day.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:23 am

Keep us posted, Willy.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Yahoo! I got it!! I went through this morning and took the motor apart completely. I didn't have the thinner you mentioned but I did have some clipper blade cleaner used for hair clippers. I dipped the plates that house the motor bearings in there. I had to go to town for a few hours and when I got back I put it all back together. I made some new rubber motor mounts out of some grommets I had. I was able to put one in the hole on the motor frame and then cut a different size grommet in half. By doing this it put it at the exact height. I then put on idler with the O ring on it and assembled it all back. After this it seems to be correct speed and will eject.

In the video below you can hear it playing. I still need to adjust the head so it will land on the record good. Then I need to glue up some pieces and then wax the outside. Thanks for the advice Wildcat it was spot on. Even though I worked on tube stuff for years I went on a hiatus for 20 years. Also adding to issues I am seeing now is stuff like SMD, crystal cartridges going bad, and more issues with rubber rottening. Back years ago what you saw was a radio that quit working so you would find out why. Now not only do you have that you have issues with problems caused by age. Any I am well pleased. Thanks again Wildcat

Last edited by willy3486 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you, Willy. It is always fun to hear them working again. Very Happy

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks. I forgot to mention I had a cartridge in that junk I bought a while back. It was probably the only cartridge any good and it fit and played good.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top