Making rubber parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making rubber parts

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 am

I have a question for folks here. As with this hobby sometimes we have to get creative to fix things. One fix it repair I have read about is if you need a rubber belt is to use one of the o ring maker kits where you cut the length you need then glue with crazy glue. Another is to take a piezo element and then adapt it to a record cartridge.

With that said has anyone expirimented with forming rubber? What I would like to do is to figure out a way to rebuild the idler wheels and turrets. One way I thought of is to use the rubber replacements that go on VCR wheels. I just can't see paying anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks for a part or two so I can fix a record player that has less than that value. Yes this is a hobby and I don't expect to make money but I do not want to put in a lot on a item I will not use much and a piece that has little or no value.

Does anyone have any expirence on casting new pieces or know of a site that has info?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Making rubber parts

Post by CrazyCanuck on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:12 pm

When I think of casting rubber, I think of a very smelly process (heating, melting, pouring etc.). Instead, I wonder if some of the new Silicone molding blends might be available with a hard enough texture for things like idler wheels, tuning cap grommets etc? I think may Dupont? is a leader in that field.

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:04 pm

I used to work with DOW Corning RTV silicone materials. They came in different hardened consistencies. We used them for potting compound in high voltage wiring terminals. It worked like epoxy with the rubber fluid needing a added catalyst to form the finished product. Some were quite soft, others hard and some were hard but would crumble with force. I wonder if rubber tubing could be cut and bonded to the solid idler components for an easier solution.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 pm

75X11 wrote:I used to work with DOW Corning RTV silicone materials.

Yes, that's it. I was thinking Dupont, but it's Dow.

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:04 pm

We always had to have a completely bubble free casting, so we used a vacuum chamber to put the item in and evacuate the chamber. That would eliminate any voids in the potting. It's hard telling who makes the stuff these days, the way companies change hands. I was working for Sperry Univac at the time. It dosen't exist any more, either.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top