Another Use For The Trusty Weller Soldering Gun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another Use For The Trusty Weller Soldering Gun

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:18 pm

I have an old Westclox Travalarm clock that had become really balky in operation. One of those things you don't want to just throw away. It would run about 10 minutes and quit. I put it in a drawer for about 2 years and last weekend I had a Idea. I had tried everything to get that clock to run and it wouldn't work so I remembered two things. I remembered watchmakers having open face transformers at their bench, but never knew why. I also remembered reading about old techs using a soldering gun to degauss color CRT screens in a pinch. That made me realize why the watchmakers had the transformers. To demagnetize watch and clock movements. I got my soldering gun and made a number of passes over the clock to make sure it got a good treatment. That clock has run steadily since doing so. I had set the speed regulator almost all the way fast to try to get it to run and it was still wound from 2 years before. I have the speed set to halfway now and it runs like it had never stopped.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Use For The Trusty Weller Soldering Gun

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 am

I use a soldering gun to fix a Telechron clock motor. I will heat the case of it and the heat will allow oil to seep into the motor. I have had some that would not spin and this allows the oil to lubricate it. No issues so far doing this.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:35 pm

I have tried this with an old timex wrist watch that has never ran since I've had it. it is running and has run for 16 hours. I also tried it with an old wall clock that used a balance wheel and would not run, even with battery power. it runs and keeps accurate time.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, 75. Very Happy

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:04 am

I'm curious, what exactly does the soldering iron/gun do to the clock? As my mom has had an old windup clock for years and it would run, but not keep time correctly and always go fast. Then one day it just quit running. The spring is still wound and has been for a number of years but hasn't even made 1 tick since it quit.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:17 am

It puts out a alternating magnetic field, negating any magnetism in the ferrous portions of the movement.  It is present on each side of the gun.  You could probably do the same thing with this...

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t3946-a-cheap-eraser
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 am

I need to try this out, thanks for the info.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top