Hiring a handyman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hiring a handyman

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm not as young as I was 30 years ago. There are some odd jobs around the old ranch coming up that I'm not sure I can handle by myself. General contractors in our area are not interested in "day labor" type jobs. I can understand that. My only other option is to hire one of the myriad "handymen" that advertise in the local blab that comes out on Wednesday. Many of these people are uninsured. They work pretty cheap as a rule. They can't afford liability or worker's comp insurance with what little they charge. If I buy insurance to cover them while they are working for me, that will raise the costs sufficiently that a general contractor with insurance will actually be cheaper, even if I would have to "expand" the project to make it cost effective for them. What should I do in this situation to cover my butt? Having a handyman sign a release of liability in case he got hurt seem like an "unclean hands" deal to me in the eyes of the law. This may be a good question to run past the family lawyer, but I thought it might make for a good conversation. I'm surely not the only person facing something like this. There are no regulations about unlicensed contractors working on private projects. In Arizona, you have to be registered with the Registrar of Contractors or face fairly serious sanctions. Missouri has no such rules. Anything goes. You can't even sue a handyman in small claims court if he messes something up. There are no small claims courts in our county back there. You can get a group of your stout (and well-watered) buddies to pay the guy a visit, I suppose. I would hope for a solution that was a tad less dramatic.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Hiring a handyman

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:22 am

I could only suggest to ask someone that has rental properties or ask around at the home depot or lowes. Some of the staff are in tune with the goings on from talking with thew customers.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:28 am

75X11 wrote:I could only suggest to ask someone that has rental properties or ask around at the home depot or lowes.  Some of the staff are in tune with the goings on from talking with thew customers.

This and get the advice locally to you. Laws and rules can change from state to state and even from town to town. As far as those professional contractors be careful with them as well. When we built our front porch I got our contractor who built our house. I never liked this clown but to keep peace with the better half I went with him. His exwife and my wife grew up together. We got him to "help him out " to pay child support. Anyway this clown was taking forever to finish a porch that shouldn't take over 3 or 4 days from start to finish. He would work a few hours then disappear for weeks.  I called many times and finally got tired of the run around. I contacted the state as they now have new laws in Tennessee against stuff like this. Come to find out he had lost his license.After a few months of no work being done and being ignored I filled a complaint. He never answered the issue to the state. I had to finish what was left which was little and the biggest kicker was the state person told me to be careful on what I said on him or he could sue. I told the state person all I was saying is exactly what he didn't do. It seems the state allows this mess to continue and flourish. When we did the back porch I got my wife to agree with a new contractor with a good reputation. He did what he said and at a fair price. The only time when he left for a few days not to work was because he had to have the siding special ordered and the supply company made a mistake that held up his work. Sometimes saving a buck can cost you twice in the long run.

Good repairmen that are economical are out there but you have to do homework. When we got this last one we did our homework. We contacted one place out of Nashville that advertises on TV and has a good reputation. What we found out they are twice the price and will hound you to death. Even a year after we have our porch finished they still call wanting to do all kinds of things. We have told them to quit calling .This guy we deal with now has done three things for us. He built the porch, We then got him to put siding on the new part and his partner wanted my old mazda truck so we worked out a deal where he framed stairs for me. It worked out good for both of us.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:07 pm

There is a local guy who has as good a reputation as anybody. I know people who have used him, and they seem well-satisfied. They guy looks homeless, like he takes a bath and changes clothes when the old ones fall off. I'm sure he does not have liability insurance. Might not even have auto insurance on his car. Like Willy mentioned, there is no accountability. They can get your money then skip leaving you a mess. Many handymen want money up front. Ostensibly for materials, but then they blow the money and want more. I'm used to doing my own work, so this will be different than anything I've done in the past. Writing up a simple contract with exactly what each party will contribute might be a good idea.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Most of the ones I have seen have their own contract and they have t written to their advantage so read it over well. You might even tell them you want your lawyer to check it out. If they object it may be a warning sign. If they say go ahead they may be good contractors.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 pm

If the guy I mentioned has a written contract, it is written on a scrap of paper.  Most guys come over, estimate the job, want money up front, then go from there.  Everything is verbal.  I'm not giving up-front money under any conditions.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Do at most half front half after. Buy the materials yourself. I have seen problems that these things could remedy.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:46 pm

That is a good idea. But with all due respect, if I have to pay for the materials up front for the job, I'll just do it myself. I figure if the guy doing the work does not have enough money to actually do it, he may cut corners elsewhere. I would rather pay after completion. Work to a certain area, then pay a third. And so on during the job. Final payment after the job is done 100% and done to my satisfaction 100%.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:41 pm

I wonder if the big box joints have provision for limited accounts. You would specify the limit on the contractors' spending. He obtains the necessary items and you don't pay for account padding.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:54 pm

I had not thought of an arrangement like that. Might be worth looking into.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top