Zenith 12-H-670

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zenith 12-H-670

Post by Don_S on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:17 am

Anyone here have this radio? I have the opportunity to get one in the $300 range.. is this a good price for this radio? Is it a good performer? Also any information on the zenith 10-S-567 will be appreciated. What would be a good price for one in very good condition?

Don

Don_S

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Zenith 12-H-670

Post by Timaaay! on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 pm

I don't own either, but found the following info :
12-H670: is a super-het set with 12 tubes. It sold for $129.00 new in 1942. My book lists the value as (2002) $125.00. Last year three on e bay, the prices were: $91, $122, and $150.00 (last one was not sold)

10-S-567: Super-het, 10 tubes. It sold new, in 1941 for $90.00.
Radio collectors guide lists it at $225.00.
Two on ebay last year, both sold. $244, and $191
Hope this helps.
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Eliot Ness on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Good info from Timaaay on recent eBay sales of those sets.

The 12-H-670 doesn't do a lot for me style wise and I think $300 is a high price for that set. Remember that it will have rubber wire that needs to be replaced and some of the cabinet is a "photo-finish" that can be difficult to properly restore if required. As a 12 tube Zenith I'm sure it would sound and perform nice when properly restored. I have read that the dial glass (real glass) and band selector switch (steering wheel style) fetch high prices on eBay.

The 10-S-567 is a more attractive radio to me, but will share the same wiring and cabinet concerns as the 12-H-670.

My guess is if these are local and the buyer doesn't have to hassle with shipping or delivery then you're in a better position to bargain, especially in today's economy.

Good Luck,

John
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Don_S on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Thank you both for the excellent information. The radios are both in excellent to mint condition and the 12H670 plays well. Actually, neither cabinet design appeals to me as much as the 12-S-265 or the 12-S-267 which I think are two of the most beautiful radios ever made (and they have the shutter dial and motorized tuning to boot). But I'm not sure if I'll ever find these radios, so thinking of getting one of these which are available now ("A bird in hand.....")

Don

Don_S

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Eliot Ness on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Don_S wrote:..........the 12-S-265 or the 12-S-267 which I think are two of the most beautiful radios ever made (and they have the shutter dial and motorized tuning to boot). But I'm not sure if I'll ever find these radios, so thinking of getting one of these which are available now ("A bird in hand.....")..........
Yeah, those are very nice sets but they are 1938 (perhaps the most popular year for Zenith collectors) and like you said have the shutter dial/motorized tuning. That equates into stupidly high prices being asked for these sets. Twenty years ago I bought a rough 12-S-265 at a large flea market and left it to go look around. Another collector had the seller describe what I looked like so he could chase me down and try to buy it from me. The radio was in fairly rough condition and someone had already stripped the cabinet, but it was all there and no veneer was popping off. Since '38 is my favorite year Zenith I have kept it and what I paid even back then was dirt cheap. If you do a search there is one in Atlanta on Craigslist for $900. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the dial paint might be crazing on that one.

If you like the '38's the 9-S-262 is an easier set to find set. That was my first '38 that I also found at a flea market up in Ohio. After a power transformer transplant I spent a lot of time listening to that one and it is still in my collection. Although these don't go cheap anymore either, they are easier to find that the 12 or 15 tube '38's.

The one '38 that I'd still like to find is a 15-U-269. It is the cheapest of the 15 tube sets for '38 but I really like the cabinet style. I have run across at least a couple over the years but wasn't willing to give up my first born.

Good luck finding that special Zenith. The consoles do sound pretty nice.

John
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm

I DON'T THINK I CAN ADD TOO MUCH MORE THAT WHAT JOHN (ELIOT NESS) SAID EXCEPT TO SAY THAT IF YOU WANT A PARTICULAR RADIO, ESPECIALLY ONE OF THE BIG ZENITHS, THEN BE PERPARED TO SPEND A FEW BUCKS. I WILL HAVE TO ADMIT IT IS HARD TO BEAT THE BIG, BASS SOUND THAT COMES FROM ONE OF THOSE 12 TUBE CHASSIS WITH A NICE 10 OR 12 INCH SPEAKER. I TOO HAVE A WISH LIST OF SORTS FOR A ZINETH WITH A 6T5 EYE-TUBE. UNFORTUNETLY MODELS WITH THAT EYE-TUBE ARE WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE RIGHT NOW AND THE 6T5 EYE-TUBE ISN'T GETTING ANY CHEAPER EITHER. I HAVE A 12-S-345 CHARSIDE (6U5 / SHUTTERDIAL) THAT WILL RATTLE THE WINDOWS. IT WILL HAVE TO DO FOR RIGHT NOW.
VANT

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm

It appears what I was about to say has already been said.

That 12-tuber is a 1942 model. Personally I like the square-dial appearance of these, but of course the round dial is much more popular. Also these radios are somewhat shunned by collectors because they have a photo-finish cabinet, and because they are tougher to restore -- thanks to good ol' rubber wiring. If you like the radio, and are willing to spend time rewiring the thing, I personally think it's a nice piece. But I also believe $300 is a bit much considering the fact that the older ones are much more desirable.

Something else that seems a bit strange to me: I see these radios everywhere. They seem to be as common as dirt. Isn't that a bit unusual for a 1942 model? I suppose they made a lot of them up front, and when production stopped they had plenty in the warehouse.
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top