Widescreen HD CRT TV's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Widescreen HD CRT TV's

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:39 am

As some of you know just a few months ago I bought a nice Sony Trinitron 32" CRT TV. Well it's still working great, but I'm considering replacing it. At the ReStore we currently have 3 or 4 Sony WEGA HD CRT TV's, with a single HDMI port in them. I believe all 32" models from around 2006 or 2007. If I could catch one on sale for 50-75% I would seriously consider getting one, but I'm not certain how well they would perform in HD. So I'm curious if anyone here has ever had a HD CRT TV? If so, I'd like to hear how they perform in HD via the HDMI ports. I have never owned an HD TV or even one with a digital tuner in them. The closest I have ever came to an HD picture is using Component cables(the ones the separate red, green and blue) on a Standard Def TV. The component cables produce just a slightly better picture than composite or S-Video as far as I'm concerned. However I would just like to be able to enjoy watching cable programs without 3 inches of blackness above and below the picture and be able to watch widescreen DVD's without having the picture being super small because the rectangular picture doesn't fit in my square box very well.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

If you DO choose to get one... download the manual

Post by Greg Davis on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:17 am

Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Bear in mind, these are old HD standard

Post by Greg Davis on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:18 am

720p or 1080i.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Widescreen HD CRT TV's

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 am

The problem I see with an HD TV is that most of the programming I watch is not in HD. HD TV sets that I own have a worse picture on most programming than my old CRT sets have. My belief is that digital HD TV is a farce for the most part. There were millions of perfectly good TV sets junked for what? My 1992 RCA 32" Home Theater console is still the best set I have ever owned in almost any criteria. And the sound on flat panel TV sets is horrid, in my experience. External speakers are required for good sound. Digital TV is the electronic equivalent of Cash For Clunkers. I don't get in on the Smart TV craze, so I can't help you there. I use a TV for a TV, a phone to make calls on, and listen to a stereo for music. Melding technologies is not my kettle of fish.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:37 pm

I will be fine with 720p or 1080i, I read that most can not tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. Any of those are better resolution than 480i. Before I choose a model, I will look it up online to find an owners manual.
Where I'm at 99% of the programming is in HD, even if you watch it on an "SD" channel. When you watch what they consider an "SD" channel, they will either squeeze the picture down to fit, which cuts off the the sides or shrink it down which produces blank spaces above and below the image. I know Flat Screens have horrible sound for the most part. You have to have them cranked almost full blast to hear anything. That is because they have crap for an amp circuit in them and most have speakers that are made of that plastic material instead of paper cones. I think smart TV's are the dumbest invention ever. Most people that own them either never use the applications in them or only use Netflix or Hulu. The way I see it, if you just want either of those applications, just buy an inexpensive Roku or an inexpensive Blu Ray player with those built in, as either is cheaper than a smart TV.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I used HD with my led/lcd flatscreen for about 6 months. I was limited to a block of programs on cable but many weren't hd. your cable outlet also may charge you differently for HD service. mine went up about 15 dollars, and I lost about 7-8 channels.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Time Warner has had HD programming for quite a few years now. A majority of their programming is in HD and they do not charge extra for it. I believe all their channel lineup is in HD with the exception of a few small Broadcast networks and a few cable networks. About 2 or 3 years ago, they basically forced HD programming on all customers, by putting HD format on the "SD" or normal channels instead of a separate block of channels.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:23 pm

I did a bit of reserach on Wikipedia to see which models had the HDMI port and it narrowed them down to about 10 or 12 models. So I wrote them down along with the sizes that were in 16:9 and 4:3 resolution, so I didn't get one with 4:3 resolution since it's pointless to have 4:3 upscaled to 16:9. So if the one I want is still there next month when it's 50% off I will buy it for 25.00. The one I am looking at is model KV34HS420 or the KD34XBR970. Both are 34" monsters in 16:9 resolution with an HDMI port. I'm not certain what the difference is between the two models, but I think one has an NTSC tuner and the other has an ATSC tuner and I'm thinking the XBR has the ATSC tuner.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Just an update: I ended up getting the KV34HS420. It wasn't my first choice but It was there when I had the money so I bought it. I got it for 25.00 and have yet to get it. It was manufactured May of 2005 and appears to of been well taken care of. I was just reading up on it in an owners manual and it appears that the CRT is actually 2" larger than the size of the TV, which means I will have a 36" TV. Since it is a 36" that means I finally reached my goal of owning a 36" CRT. Now I just gotta get this 194 pound monster and figure out what I'm doing with my current 160-170 pound monster.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm

Good luck!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 pm

I have a great Phillips 27" flat screen. It not only has HDMI but it is digital. I only watch over the air for free. I also get digital HD.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:47 pm

About the only benefit I get from cable is TCM. Most of the rest of what they offer could fill vacuum tubes.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm

I get a movie channel and they have some pretty good movies. You do have to live with commercials though. We also have a channel, 32.2, that shows old TV shows like Twilight Zone and CHIPS.

I kept cable for TCM too, but the rates just got outrageous.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:24 pm

I'll bet they start getting more competitive with all the subscribers they are starting to lose to the other alternatives.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:01 pm

I got a cable box again, and hooked it up via Component cables but a majority of Timewarner's HD programming is only 720p. I only know this because the box displays the cahnnels resolution on it's display. There are a few that are in 1080i but those are few and far in between. It would be the same even if I had a newer TV that could display 1080p because their boxes max out at 1080i. BTW this TV has an alright display, the last Sony I had was much better. However if I get another used TV, it will be either a DLP or LCD depending on the age and price.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top