It is warmer in Missouri.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It is warmer in Missouri.......

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:52 pm

.....than it is here! Shocked

We have friends visiting from Missouri. It is cloudy, spitting rain, and cool here at 52 degrees. It is supposed to be 67 and sunny in Missouri today. The wind blew our cats claw off the back fence last night sometime and it is laying in a soggy heap on the ground. "Cats claw" is a green vine that grows like a weed and attaches itself to a concrete block fence like we all have in AZ. It is typically quite durable. The wind must have gotten under this one and just pushed it off the top of the block fence. We put it back and weighted it down so it will stick back again. Our guest brought shorts and flip flops to wear. They made a mad dash to Walmart this morning for warmer clothes. Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: It is warmer in Missouri.......

Post by willy3486 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:44 pm

I think it was close to 70 here in Tennessee today. It has been really nice here the last couple of days.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:46 pm

It will warm up around here sometime in April.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:44 am

It got up to 68 here on Saturday afternoon. We shattered our previous record high of 62 degrees from, I think 1965. Also the last time it was in the 60's on December 12, was 2008. This coming week is supposed to have most days in the upper 50's. I think I seen somewhere online that the main reason certain parts of the U.S. is experiencing such warm conditions is because the Polar Vortex is hovering above Russia currently.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:59 pm

73 here today. Sat on the porch and cleaned up on my receiver.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:55 pm

It got up to 64 here today, somewhat more than had been predicted. I washed the car and tinkered outside all afternoon. Nice and sunny and very pleasant, if a tad cool.

Our friends who were visiting from Missouri drove their Pontiac Solstice, a black one, 2011 (?) I think. They drove it instead of their Impala because the weather is always nice here (?!) and they wanted to go to a car show out here. We went to a cruise-in last evening at a local hamburger joint. They drove their Solstice and we took the MINI. They had a ball even though there were about only 100 cars there. Nothing like that in Missouri where they live. They left this morning just after breakfast. They wanted to go up over the Rim to Interstate 40, then go west to California. It snowed in the high country last night, but they figured that the roads would be cleaned off by the time they got there, and the man had driven on slick roads before, so they took off. We got a call a couple hours later from them. They hit a patch of black ice, did a 360 in the middle of the road, and put their Solstice backwards into a revine. They must have broken something important, since the car was leaking "pink stuff" on the ground. Sometimes, a plan just won't come together. They rented a car and are continuing their trip to California. They will have to come back and pick up their Pontiac on the way home. I hope it is something simple and not something terminal.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 pm

It sounds like they could of possibly leaked out some coolant. As I know sometimes GM used some types of coolant that were different from the typical green stuff. The only other thing I could think would be transmission fluid and it mixed with snow to turn it "pink"..
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Nobody was hurt and as far as I know the airbags did not deploy.  They "went in" butt first.  I'd bet they hit a rock or something on the way down.  I don't know if there was any body damage or how bad if any.  They had to change their shorts, I'm sure.  They went about 30 feet off the road down a pretty good grade.  A mile on either side of where they went off, and the result would have been considerably more serious.  They picked about the only spot to go off the road that would not have them falling off a considerable precipice.  They were lucky.  My guess was they put a hole in the transmission pan, messed up a trans cooler line, or busted the radiator or a hose somewhere. My understanding is that it still runs and the wheels spin. They had to be towed back onto the road, then towed to town to a GM dealer.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:05 pm

It is 44 degrees here at nearly noon in sunny AZ.  I don't know how warm it is in Missouri, but my brother has not called this morning to brag.  I hope it gets warm enough that I can get a couple things done outside that are on my perpetual "honey-do" list.  It was cold enough the last couple nights that the cold got at least the upper flowers on the bouganvillas.  The flowers by the wall don't look so bad, but the ones above the wall are black.  The cats' claw is black, too, so it will have to be cut way back.

My neighbor from MO with the crashed Pontiac called last night and informed me that the insurance company wants to total the Solstice.  Apparently there was hidden damage done to the bottom and sub-frame that was not readily apparent.  The transmission case was broken.  Must have hit a rock on the way to the "bottom."  The rear valance panel was pushed in when it landed.  He is really bummed.  Swears he will never darken AZ again.  That car was his baby.  I warned him, but he thought he knew best.  Stuff happens, but I feel bad about it none the less.  AZ is not all desert and sunshine.  It was colder in AZ night before last than anywhere in the continental US, -11 at the Grand Canyon.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 pm

It's 63 here today with the rain slowly moving out My neighbor got a lot of his lights up, but not the manger before it started to rain. When You mentioned pink in the car crash, I thought it had to be the transmission or cooling lines. You ought to tell him that Tod and Buz were the only guys that could pedal a roadster cross country in all weather. If he likes the Solstice, he can keep the Solstice. As a salvage. A true custom.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 pm

I took the mutts for a hike and the thermometer said it was now up to 51. The weather may warm up enough to wash the car this afternoon.

There is a Saturn model that is the same as a Pontiac Solstice. I can't think of the name right now. Anyhow, I hated to hear about the little black Solstice. That is one of the cutest cars GM ever made, but really little. And, apparently not appropriate for snowy weather in the mountains, in territory that you are not familiar with. Black ice is nasty regardless of what you are driving.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top