Mornin' Officer......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mornin' Officer......

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 pm

We are fortunate to have an effective and even friendly Sheriff's Department in our county. Although considered a rural county, it has experienced explosive growth since the 2006 redistricting. The Sheriff's Department is comprised of over 600 individuals who are not only active in drug offender apprehension, but have a Sheriff's Auxiliary. The auxiliary encompasses the Citizens' Patrol and other initiatives. There is always a Deputy stationed at every school crossing, morning and evening and it seems like the cops are everywhere. We recently attended the annual car show that benefits the auxiliary and its myriad charitable causes.

Today was car cleaning day. The frau is in the process of putting out her Christmas decorations. My only input to this project was to go get the tree, and run the CD player for Christmas music. She gets to do the rest. I was outside in the driveway working on car cleaning when she announced that I would have to take her to Walmart to pick up something she needed for her project. I was working on her car, so we decided to hop into the MINI and go get what she needed. The store she wanted to go to was about six miles from the house. We made it there and found what she needed.

On the way home, we had to stop at a light. There was a newer EcoBoost Mustang that pulled up beside the MINI at the light. The driver rolled the passenger window down on his Mustang and motioned for me to roll my window down. I did and he asked me if the MINI had the BMW engine in it. I said that it did. Was it a three or a four cylinder. I told him it had the four in it. He asked "how's it run?" About that time, the light turned green. I climbed onto the throttle on the MINI and we were off and running. We had to go thru an approximately three mile stretch of flat straight road, bordered on both sides by cotton fields. The fields had been harvested and large bales of cotton dotted the roadside. Beside one of the cotton bales, unseen from the road, sat a Deputy sheriff in his Tahoe. The Mustang and my MINI passed by the hidden deputy running at a pretty good clip. The deputy got out onto the road and lighted us both up. We pulled over. The deputy got out of his cruiser and came back to our car. He asked what my hurry was and did I know how fast I was going. (81+mph in a 50 mph zone, just for the record. Rolling Eyes ) I told him that the guy in the Mustang and I were "wringing them out" and meant no harm. The deputy asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance and went about checking the VIN on the MINI. He glanced at the Sheriff's Auxiliary sticker I had on the windshield. Then he grinned. He asked if I had booze or dope in the car. Nope. Did I have any illegals or dead bodies in the trunk? Nope, no trunk. He handed my documentation back and said that he thought I had outrun the Mustang, for the record. He told me to be sure and wear my seatbelt, slow down, take it easy and have a great day. And.....thanks for your support. The Mustang driver got a ticket. I won't be so lucky next time........ Shocked

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Mornin' Officer......

Post by Conelrad on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 am

Luck was with you.

After the ticket, I just say "Bad cop, no donut".

Twisted Evil

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:38 am

The Mustang driver always gets the ticket.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I thought about you, 75. I had seen this Mustang at a couple local cruise-ins. I had never spoken to the owner or anything. It is black with twin white stripes going over the top of the car. Really nice looking Mustang with a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. It ran pretty good, probably as fast as the original 5.0's were back in the day. It was an automatic and had 19" wheels. I may not be so lucky next time. The sheriff's office is really pretty good. We don't have a lot of orneriness going on around here like burglaries and things like that. There is a deputy who sets at the end of our street keeping people from cutting thru our community cutting the traffic light. I need to act my age. It was a stupid thing to do and really out of character for me.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't know, Isn't Barry Weiss around your age? Smile
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 pm

I don't know. Probably pretty close. He has more money than I do. Embarassed

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 pm

He's got a load of pavement skinners too!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:16 am

Reminded me of my misspent youth. My old supercharged MR2 was frequently "tested" by Mustangs. It never failed to outpace them on the short runs, but they had more overall power in the long runs.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm just amazed at the performance that they can now get out of little 4 cylinders. Are the days of V8 engines doomed for passenger vehicles? I'm certain 45's Mini could out perform the V8s of the early years with lower gas consumption. Sorry 45 I was suggesting looking at the VW Diesel, another bad decision I made but love the car/performance and fuel economy.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Pound for pound, the Mini has more horsepower than my old Buick.  The Buick has to pull almost 5000 pounds with 325 horsepower.  The 189 horsepower Mini engine has to pull around 2700 pounds.  If you would have told me in 1966 that I would one day own a four cylinder foreign car, I would have laughed at you.  Computers, fuel injection, multiple camshafts, four valves per cylinder, better fuel, better ignition, (just better everything, really) makes a four cylinder engine as powerful as a V-8 in the good old days.  I have often wondered what kind of power would my old Buick V-8 make if it had direct injection, turbocharging, computer controls and all the technical advances we take for granted today.  Is 800 horsepower out of the question?  The BMW Mini 2.0 liter engine makes 189 horsepower at 6200 rpm, with max torque of 245 lbs/ft at 1600 rpm, all out of 122 cid.  The version of the Mini engine found in a BMW car has twin turbos and puts out 265 horsepower.  We are running engines in passenger cars that would have been considered racing engines 30 years ago.  Mustang has a big V-8, dubbed the "Voodoo V-8" that uses a flat-plane crankshaft and puts out something like 600 horsepower out of less than 400 cid.   Chrysler puts the "Hellcat" version of their Hemi in the Challenger.  700 horsepower.  GM has a fire-breathing pressure aspirated V-8 used in the Corvette, Camaro and a Cadillac model.  There is a truck version as well.  The V-8 is not dead in passenger cars.  The little four and six-cylinder powerplants with turbochargers and superchargers are smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient and just as much fun to drive.  V-8's will be around for quite some time for truck use.

My belief is that common passenger cars take off faster from a stoplight today than our old V-8 cars did on the starting line at a drag strip. It would be interesting to be able to prove that theory.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top