I need TV advice!!!

Go down

I need TV advice!!!

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Guys, this past spring, I visited a newly renovated and under new ownership antique store. There was (don't know if it is still there...but been thinking about it) an RCA Victor just like this one:

http://r.ebay.com/9XNCzY

Again, I don't know the model number of the one in the store, or its working status, but it was all there and in good shape and looked like the one in the above eBay auction (just with a different color scheme on the cabinet). Had a price of $65.00 on it.

IF it is still there, would this make a good project?

Bill, anyone? Are these metal housed "portables" total disasters or good sets?

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: I need TV advice!!!

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:24 pm

I'd be interested in that answer, Doc. I would like to get into TV as my next stab in antique technology.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:35 pm

WC,

This set I think would look great in my mid century modern kitchen sitting on the top shelf of my vintage Costco wheeled serving cart.

I haven't really played with TVs since my tech education back in the early 2000's. It would be s good review, but don't want to get hosed on a money pit if you know what I mean!
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 pm

My understanding of those RCA TV's like the one you posted are a PITA for a first time restoration.  My understanding is that the chassis stands vertically with the neck of the CRT running thru the chassis.  Some models you can take the top of the cabinet off for service.  In each case the CRT has to be removed to work on the chassis.  The yoke (I think!) or whatever sticks to the neck of the CRT.  My understanding is that these sets are good performers once you get them right.  My guess would be that you should not have any major issues going thru one, once you developed the plan.  For $65, I don't see much way for you to go wrong, if the CRT is good.  I have a little Admiral with much the same setup that I want to start on in the Spring.  Bill Cahill is the man to talk us thru these projects.  Hopefully, he will chime in and give you some idea of what to do.  He is having some health issues, so patience will be a virtue.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:58 am

Actually, it's a stacked chassis set. Two chassi's, one above the other. PTA tv to work on. You'll need lats of patience with that set.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down