International Harvester and AMC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

International Harvester and AMC

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:16 pm

There was a comment made on "that other forum" about AMC 401 engines in IH Travelall vehicles. I was fully prepared to question the comment. But I Googled it instead.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_Travelall

I was aware of a connection between IH and AMC. I had no idea that AMC 401's were ever used by IH.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: International Harvester and AMC

Post by 75X11 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:25 pm

I didn't know of the connection. Theirs was such a limited line, they stayed under my radar, I guess.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 am

I ran three IH 1800 series trucks back in the day.  I had two new '74's and a '75.  They were powered by 392 V-8's with the largest Carter AFB carburetor I have ever seen.  Those engines were powerful, quiet as a Rolls Royce, never used oil, dependable, but they were arguably one of the worst engines on fuel ever built.  5 mpg was a good day.  I could buy those cheaper than a Chevrolet/GMC and we had a good local dealer.  The most unique feature of an International V-8 was that they were timed off number 8 cylinder, rather than the traditional number 1 cylinder.  They built several size engines using the same basic block.  266-304-345-392 and 404 cid displacements.  The difference was the blocks were sleeved for the smaller displacements and bored out for the 392 and 404 cid units. They mixed and matched pistons and cranks for the various versions.  They were eight cylinder versions of their 6 cylinder industrial and farm engines.  International offered more transmission, differential and wheelbase combinations than anybody else.  International put the engines used in the 460 and 560 series tractors in combines and trucks thru the early 70's.  IH built tractors, a full line of farm machinery, and even offered appliances for a time.  My grandparents had an IH freezer for years and it is still running.  The compressor is belt driven from a horse and a half electric motor.  The condenser fan is on the pulley end of the motor.  IH built the freezer themselves.  The radios in IH trucks was basically identical to those used in contemporary Fords.  They used Saginaw power steering and Bendix or Delco Moraine brakes.  They rode horribly bad.  We used to say in the business that a good International would wear out ten drivers.  IH trucks were much like Mack.  They rode bad, drove bad, were slow, drivers hated them but they would run forever.  Parts were expensive if you ever needed parts.  IH built a big 549 V-8 that was used a lot in concrete mixer trucks.  They were perfect for applications where you did not go far.  They used so much gas that you could not get more than a few miles from a gas station.  I knew a guy who used one to haul grain.  It would run with contemporary diesels, and it had 200 gallons of gas on board.  He could not haul much grain because he had to carry so much gasoline in order to get home without having to hitch hike home.

AMC built some pretty crappy cars after Nash and Hudson went bust.  Lots of cheap plastic.  They had bulletproof seven main 6 cylinder engines and a version of the Chrysler Torque Flight automatic transmission.  The drivetrain would run far after the body rusted off.  The worst problem with the engines was the plastic valve covers would crack and the exhaust manifolds were not very good.  They got a bad rap and the auto unions were not any help.  They had high overhead in Kenosha, so they could not compete with the front drive craze in the early 1980's.  They partnered with Renault and sold the horrible Renault Encore.  Chrysler came calling in 1987, after the Jeep nameplate.  The rest of AMC died.  It remained in business known as AM General and built the first Humvee military vehicle, and also built mail Jeeps.  GM bought that division and renamed it Hummer.  GM dumped Hummer in its bankruptcy reorganization.

A feature of AMC V-8 engines is that they had the oil pump in the aluminum timing cover ala Buick and Cadillac. For some reason AMC had better results with that setup than GM did. The AMC 360 V-8 remained in production for a number of years after the Chrysler merger. It powered Jeep Grand Wagoneers up thru the middle 1990's.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top