VW Diesel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VW Diesel

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, you all know about the famous diesel gate scandel. Not going political, what was done was done. I did receive a nice letter from VW US to "assure" me that all was being done to address the issue. The nice part is that with registration with them as the owner of the polluting little beast they will provide a $500 credit to us for work at a VW dealer (nice as we have a transmission service due in another 8000 miles) and a $ 500 Visa debit card to use any way you want. The two should more than cover our 40K service need.
They also indicated that of course "that this is an emissions issue and the the EPA has stated they your car remains safe and legal to drive."
No doubt correct however it does raise the question as to it can be register in CA or for that matter any other state when the registration expires or in our case if we wish to move the registration to CA from AZ in the future.
VW will no doubt fix the problem and being a major player in the car market here and in Europe it is going to cost them.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: VW Diesel

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:29 pm

VW will escape this escapade unscathed.  

If I owned a car with only 40K miles on it and it needed a thousand dollars worth of work, it would be for sale.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:42 am

WC, this is the point for an oil change, transmission oil change and brake and cooling cooling change. A little over $800. It would cost that much or more for a transmission replacement. Welcome to the world of new cars and German cars. These cars are not your old DIY cars to work on, even your Mini.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 am

So basically this is a fluid change/service, done at 40K.   $800 I could live with.  The fluids for these cars are expensive.  Everything is synthetic and long-life.  Things should last longer with better fluids in them.  That part I like.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:07 am

Yes WC, every 40K a major fluid change. Every 10K, an oil change. So far those are free so not certain what the dealer charges for their expensive oil and filter. I do know they have to take off the shroud under the engine to do it! More labor than our Camry.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Those service intervals could be staggered in order to soften the blow, I would think. Do new cars have a fuel filter?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:53 am

Good question WC, as we know older gas cars had inline ones on the fuel line (most).  The other diesels I have had, a Cummins (sp?) in our motor home and the two Perkins in our boat had them as a filter and water separator.  No idea on newer cars but it would seem important for those with injectors.  
As for staggering service requirements, every 10K for oil is not bad, every 40K is somewhat of a blow for the other service "requirements".  I will just go with the flow for the time being.  Heck, I may not be around for the 80K shock!
Best,  Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 am

I just answered my own question.  The filter is in the fuel tank on my MINI.

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME6105/Mini-Cooper-Fuel-Filter-Oem-R55-R56-R57-R58-R59

Wonder what mileage I should replace it?  I do my GM cars once a year.

Another tidbit of useful information: When your MINI gas gauge gets below half, you'd best buy some gas. Mine has a 10 gallon tank. When it gets down to "four slashes", it takes 7.6 gallons. GM gauges lie pessimistically, my MINI gauge lies optimistically.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:03 pm

OK, WC, you made me curious so off the the internet. The TDI has a cartridge type fuel filter and it sets right up on the top of the engine with easy access. I watched a video of changing it and certainly looks easy. No mention of "priming" the lines to the injectors. Other views talked about a complex priming sequence. Perhaps this is required if you ran out of fuel. The Perkins had a manual lever you would press up and down with one line cracked open until you got the air out.
At least I now know where it is! Service interval is still in question.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:46 pm

My step son has driven German cars, mostly VW and Mercedes for 30 years.  He put over 300,000 miles on a 1978 Rabbit.  One of those cars with the carburetor mounted on rubber that nobody else could keep running for any length of time.  Remember those?  He told me that he and his mechanic have developed their own service intervals, based on his driving habits and ambient temperatures.  He has had very little expensive problems with his cars.  He is not a stickler on maintenance, either.  He makes sure the fuel filter, spark plugs, and coolant is changed yearly.  He also services the transmission yearly.  He changes oil every 3,000 miles, mainly because he does not believe that synthetic oils are worth the extra money.  Synthetics are not a lot more expensive than regular oil anymore.  We have run Mobil 1 5W30 in our Tahoe since it was new.  We run 5,000 mile change intervals.  My investigation has revealed that people who have lots of car problems bring much of it on themselves.  Improper maintenance, aggressive driving habits, and just plain being hard on things (they could break an anvil with a feather duster) are the main ingredients in their misery.  People do not want to take responsibility for their own fate.  They want everything under warranty and want it repaired for free with little to no effort on their part.  I want to thank you, Jerry, for your patience in talking me thru my recent foray into "German engineering."  I feel more confident in not only the probable reliability of my car, but also of the possibility of developing a strategy to help it live a long (and economical!) life.  Peace of mind is a precious gift.

I twisted wrenches for many years. We always had a "foreign" car guy on staff, so I worked on GM and Fords for the most part. Nobody wanted to work on Chrysler, but I digress. The German car mechanic was a guy named Carl. He always told me that German cars developed their own personality, while domestic cars were too homogenous for his taste. They were all alike. Carl did not enforce the same service intervals for every car. Each car had its own personalized "needs." He was a gifted mechanic and worked miracles, especially on Mercedes. I though he had jumped the rails with his "personal needs" claim for German cars. I am beginning to understand his point of view. Even the manufacturers espouse this theory. That may be why there is little maintenance information in the owner's manual.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 pm

WC, I would guess that the mini will provide free oil changes for some period of time, the VW, every 10K for 30K. Let them do it. There after for other changes required, dealers are expensive but the should know what they are doing. I'm getting letters from organizations for extended warranty, of course that doesn't cover routine maintenance. I figure just follow the recommended and pay the price from someone who should know what they are doing. We put a lot of miles on the VW, most freeway back and forth between AZ and CA. Probably the easiest type of mileage. No stop and go.
No experience on the Rabbit other than a neighbor many years ago that had a diesel rabbit. He did a lot of long distance travel and added an addition fuel tank that took up most of the trunk. Claimed he could go from OC to SF and back on one fill up!
Enjoy that little pocket rocket, it has to be a blast to drive. Fun driving is important!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:35 pm

The only gripe I have so far is frigid cold head rests. Leather interior is nice looking and durable. I guess the heated seats option also heats the head rests. I don't have that. When I get in of mornings and my head hits the headrest, it feels like a ice cube on my neck. I solved the problem courtesy of a lady at work. I bought a couple of kids toboggans (knit caps with a ball on top) to fit over the headrests. Headrest muffs if you will. It helps to keep the leather clean and is warmer on cool mornings. The frau thinks it looks cute.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:59 pm

WC, the muffs should work well! Our VW does have heated seats but not the headreast. I hate it when the frau has been driving it and left them "on". Fire up the car and take off and in a few minutes my butt and back are baking. She never complained about the heat rest (not heated to the best of my knowledge).
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top