NOS parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NOS parts

Post by willy3486 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

I have a question on NOS parts. Years ago if I picked up new parts from a old repair shop I wouldn't think twice. But with age of parts, location,mice,etc Now I wonder if I should toss the parts. I don't replace all the parts when I work on a radio but I do replace any wax or oil caps. My question is over some parts I picked up. I bought out a car trunk full of old parts that looks to be from a shop that probably closed in the 50s or early 60s. Now the wax caps is a no brainer. But there were quite a few of the items like resistors and epoxy caps. There were quite a few of the sprague brand epoxy orange caps I got. I am wondering if these can be used. What would you keep and what would you toss. These were in a shed but in a damp area. Some parts look good and some of the parts need to be tossed.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: NOS parts

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am

The orange drops, and, that, need to be checked for leakage. You can build yourself an easy to build tester using a power transformer, a silicon rectifier, and, a sensitive neon light. Use good test leads.
I'd pur an on-off switch on primary of transformer for safety sake.

A lot of the old orange drops, and, such, are still good. Including the Mallory. But, occasionally, from a crack in the lead location, or, a hole, leakage will get in.

Most other plastic caps, including the old Sprague black beauties are usually junk.
Keep terminal strips,etc. I always need them, and, the new Chinese made ones are flimsy, and, easily break.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:43 pm

A question on this stuff. I have never had a issue with transformers used as chokes in circuits. There were a lot of transformers made like this

transformer

I looked quickly and most of these seem to be chokes. Is their any need to save these? Or would I be better off to send them to the recycler. One thing I want to do in my workshop is clean out stuff I will not have a need for. I got anywhere from 25 to 50 of them in a metal tray that looks like refrigerator drawer. These transformers are about the size of a transformer you would use to build a 12volt 3 amp power supply. I don't mind keeping them if they have value but the weight would be too much to ship.

I have one of the Sencore cap checkers I use. Let me see what I have Bill as I didn't get to look that good that day. I saw a few things I could use so I made an offer on that. If they seem to be good I will probably send them your way, I will warn you these parts stink. There could be anywhere from 1 to 100 or more. I just tossed them in as it was a mess there. I had to worm my way between the cabinets and a farm wagon. I had maybe 16 inches to work with and it was about to get dark on the end. Let me dig through these and sort the stuff. At this point I don't know what I have. I hope to get it sorted in the next few weeks hopefully. It will depend on the weather and honey do lists.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Original Sprague orange drops will last a century in storage. You can test them, but I'm betting very very little to no leakage.

I'd be hesitant about trashing the chokes. There are a lot of old time power supply and transmitter projects in vintage magazines that required chokes that aren't easily obtained today--if they are encased (shielded construction) as shown in your picture, they are of premium build and surely someone will find them useful for modifying some 1920s resto project or building a project from scratch.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:13 pm

I realize that space is a premium, but I would hesitate to throw anything away. There is a butt for every seat. I would post what you are considering getting rid of to see if anybody has a use for it. That is sometimes easier said than done.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 pm

I'll bet some pics would get a lot of ground covered.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:20 am

I don't have good pics yet as it all is in bags. It may be a few weeks before I even get to get started sorting. I have to get a few things done before the cold gets here. I also have to sort it to see what I actually have. This stuff is really nasty as well. I can't be around it long due to that. Mice had been living and running through part of it. I do have some pictures on facebook but thats it and you can't tell much other than its some kind of parts.. As far as the parts go what I did was to dump each drawer in a garbage bag. Then I would place the bag in a container. Right now I transfered two of the containers to two computer shipping boxes due to reuse of the containers. I do have another container I haven't touched yet. What I think I will wind up doing is to put a couple of the bags into the lid of a copy paper box and letting them sit to air out. Then in a few days sort the lids.

What I have found out is about a third of the weight is dust. As far as getting rid of parts I won't throw away anything that could be used by someone. I will throw away anything ruined or damaged. For example there were lots of record cartridges. The bad is that almost all of them look to be ruined due to dampness. I did find one that looks like one of the flip RCA type mono cartridge and I need one for a RCA 45 record player. Hopefully it will work. At the rate I get to work out in the old shop this will probably be a winter project to go through the stuff. There was a new dial wrapped up in philco printed paper . I think this will scan and clean up great so I plan to scan it and post for anyone who is a phlco fan.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top