The lawn mower won't start

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The lawn mower won't start

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm not impressed with this engine, that's for sure. They want ten bucks less for a new carburetor for this POS than they do for a good old Quantum brand new. This may get an engine transplant. Or haul this thing back home and bring one of my 20+ year old mowers out here. I need something I can depend on. All my tinkering tools are back home and service quotes out here make my nose bleed!

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 pm

I may have been a tad precipitous in my assessment of my lawn mower engine. I got it running. It started on the first pull after my miracle repair. I forgot the first rule in lawn mower repair. I forgot to exercise my best cuss words. This time, I pulled it all apart, borrowed an air compressor and gave it a good blow, AFTER I used my best cuss words. There is NOTHING in this carburetor. Nothing to really go amiss. There must have been a little chunk of something that got where it did not belong. It runs like a new one so far. Thanks to all of you guys who gave input. If this happens next year, I know what to do.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:15 pm

This is exactly why I like older things, especially engines and appliances. Older engines may not meet all the pollution standards or may not look as nice as the newer ones but they sure run better and longer. I used to work on older Briggs engines and they usually only needed carburetor work or a head gasket. I had a 5 HP Industrial Briggs side shaft engine that was in a flood, I removed the carburetor to clean it good and put a new head gasket on it after removing the soot and gunk off the piston and valves. After all that it fired right up and still will to this day if I put fuel in it. That was a mid 90's model.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:37 pm

I have a Toro push mower that my grandpa bought new in 1959. I have pushed it a million miles. It has worn out two sets of wheels. The three horsepower Briggs on it still starts on the first pull. This new one runs nicely and has plenty of power for my little yard. I have heard stories about these engines not wanting to run after they set awhile. I still don't know what was fouling it up. No matter, I guess. It runs now.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 am

So glad you got it running WC.  This could have been a life changing experience if you couldn't get it to work. Very Happy
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top