The lawn mower won't start

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The lawn mower won't start

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

I have a Murray push mower with an OHV Briggs and Stratton engine on it that I bought in December of 2014. I stored it with a new coat of wax, sharp blade, in the garage, covered with fuel stabilizer in the gas tank. It will not fire a shot. It will run on carb cleaner squirted in the intake. Soooooooo.......I think the needle is stuck in the carburetor. I have mowers as old as 1959 that will start on the first pull. This is the FIRST time a Briggs that I owned failed to start. I'll take the carb off and apart, free things up and go from there. My neighbor has a mower with the same engine as mine, and his did the same thing last winter. It will take me ten minutes to mow the lawn and three days getting the mower started. I have sent my first hate mail to Briggs and Stratton. I have used their engines nearly exclusively for almost 60 years. This one is one of those OHV jobs with a plastic carburetor. I'm not sure how impressed I am. It runs well and has gobs of power when it runs. I certainly hope this is a fluke. If not, this mower will find itself on the curb next time.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The lawn mower won't start

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:54 pm

When it costs them so much business, why do these companies cheap up on their reliable technology?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:26 pm

You really have a lawn in AZ WC? Shocked Even further North, no grass. None anywhere around our home in Sedona. I hate mowing and have not had a lawn mower for 20 years. The last I had in CA would run well but the gas tank would fall off half way through the lawn. I always carried tools with me!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Our HOA rules require grass in front of the house. If I park my MINI in the front yard, I have more MINI than yard. We have a little patch of grass in back because our Golden Retriever will not pee on dirt. I could go all winter without emptying the catcher. I mow all winter on a mower tank of gas, and have some left over. We have to plant winter grass, so I have to mow. We have a landscaper come once a month to blow leaves and clean up more than I can.

The particular Briggs engine on my mower is notorious for this problem. I thought I was smarter than anybody else. I use Sta-Bil in the gas and store it "by the book." I put oil in the cylinder, clean it out underneath. The thing looks like brand new. Briggs may end up on the short end of the stick with this engine. The warranty is out already, so I get to play Mr. Goodwrench again. It won't be the first time.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:33 pm

That sounds like an ideal job for an electric. It's always ready to go.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I tried an electric one time with less than stellar results. I considered one this time, but they want a fortune for electric mowers around here. I have not had a problem with a gas mower in the past........ Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 pm

You might have a look on Craigslist, They usually have a couple at decent prices. A Black & Decker is a good unit.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:54 pm

I haven't had the opportunity to tinker with one of these particular engines.  This will be one of my grand adventures...... Shocked

I'll probably have to drive 40 miles to find a lawn mower parts place, though. Napa may be my friend, perhaps Question

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:58 pm

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks for the link, 75.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:17 pm

I had this happen to me as well. It was a clog in the carb. that every one of these darn engines seems to fall pray to. Thank you EPA for sticking your nose in the lawn mower business!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Do you think I might have deeper problems in the carburetor than a stuck needle/float?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:04 am

If it was bought in Dec 2014, then you should not be out of warranty. Before you take anything apart, an action that most certainly will void any remaining warranty, why not first ask your local warranty service centre what they think?

Was it running well when you put it away?

EDIT : can you get the model/type/code from the engine and post it here for us?

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:36 pm

It ran perfectly. Started first pull always. I stored it by the book.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:18 pm

My engine does not have the model, serial and type stamped in the blower housing like Briggs has done it for eons.  This one has a sticker that you are supposed to scan with a cellphone with the information on it.  All I know is that it is the "EX" series, 6.75 horsepower and it won't run.  I took the carb apart, the needle was for sure stuck.  No improvement.  Won't fire a shot except by squirting carb cleaner in it.  This will be may last of this series engine.  It is either going to a shop or back where I bought it.  OR to the dump.  I have worked on small engines for almost 60 years and this is the first Briggs I could not get running.  I will have to reluctantly declare this engine a piece of junk and move on.  I'd give my right arm for a good Quantam.  I may haul this thing back to Missouri and fix it back there.  I'll see if someone will make it run under warranty.  I have a couple months left on the warranty.  If not, I'll do an engine transplant.  I'm not going to put up with this each year.

Giving credit where it is due, this engine is the easiest to work on ever. I reckon because it needs it so much. There are hardly any cooling fins on the engine. It would be impossible to stop it up with grass and junk.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Sorry to see it. They should make them to last longer. Wonder if the ethanol may have had anything to do with it?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Come on WC and poney up for an electric. If you have a small lawn it is much easier. By the way you did say your front lawn was so small it could be covered by you Mini. Did you buy one? Congrats, how do you like it, I know you were shopping.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

The EX 675 engine appears to be an L-head engine? Regardless, the most recent choke system that Briggs uses is an auto-choke with a bi-metal spring limiter for hot restarts and an airvane for choke pulloff. There are some issues with the bi-metal spring, and if you are in a hot area, it may need to be adjusted. I am sure that the numbers we need are stamped either on the shroud above the spark plug (under the plastic shroud) or on a flange of the metal shroud over the exhaust. Having the numbers would allow me to get you a pdf of the auto choke adjust bulletin.

CrazyCanuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:02 pm

It is an OHV. The only stamped number I see is the DOM. 4-11-2014. I have not found the traditional numbers stamped anywhere. It will fire on carb cleaner, but will not stay running. I can't pull the rope and cover the intake at the same time (more safety crap that gets in the way!) Briggs makes at least two versions of OHV engines. One with the carb on the plug side and one with the muffler on the plug side. This is the latter. I have one of the other type on a log splitter and it is a dandy. This is surely a simple problem. There are no adjustments period on this carb that I see. I like all the o-ring seals instead of gaskets. That is a good idea. How could it get a speck of dirt in the wrong spot sitting all summer? This thing says "No choke, no priming, EZ start."

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:It is an OHV.  The only stamped number I see is the DOM.  4-11-2014.  I have not found the traditional numbers stamped anywhere.  

I dug a bit deeper and found that the 2015 version of the EX engine is the EXi and yes, it is OHV. I wonder if there is a mouse house under the shroud holding the auto-choke open?

CrazyCanuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:45 pm

No mouse house.  Not even any dust.  There is a spring-loaded butterfly valve in the carb intake that is kinda sorta closed.  Not very tightly, though.  How hard should those chokes set?  Are these engines crabby about choke settings?  How does one adjust that choke?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Do you think I might have deeper problems in the carburetor than a stuck needle/float?  

No....it should be quite easy to fix. One of the young guys that maintain my farm fixed mine after a friend put him onto what the problem was. I will give him a call and see if he remembers what it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:57 am

Thanks, MEZ, I can use all the help I can get.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:06 am

I hate the OHV engines.. I had a Craftsman that had been junk since I got it from sears. I could go at a angle down a hill and it would pour white smoke out so bad you couldn't see. That was when it was new. I found out later you have to adjust the valves. My MIL has a Murray with a OHV B&S motor as well. I got it to half way work though. I got my old craftsman and drug up about 3 other old mowers I had. I sold them on a page like craigslist. I then bought a 20 year old snapper with one of the old fashoned B&S motors. I need to have it tuned up but hopefully it will last for a few years more.

I have a chipper with a B&S motor I got about 10 years back . The needle stuck and when you would start it the thing would pour gas out the muffler. The gas had varnished in the carb so I had to clean it and change the oil. It worked after that. I wish they would go away from all the new OHV stuff. It doesn't seem to last and my expirence probably pollutes more. I think its because of all the hoops they have to do now.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top