"Whisperin'" Bill Anderson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Whisperin'" Bill Anderson

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:39 pm

This is an artist we don't hear much about anymore. He still hosts a segment of the Grand Ole Opry on WSM. Bill Anderson's main claim to fame was as a songwriter. He actually wrote a fairly recent song, recorded by an unknown modern "singer" "Get A Little Mud On The Tires." Bill Anderson's singing style was half-spoken and half- whispered. His style was unique and he was accompanied by one of the best bands in the business, The Poor Boys. I have one of his albums from 1963 titled "Here is Bill Anderson" on Decca, recorded in the Nashville Sound "hyper-stereo" recording style. The liner notes for this album were written by the producer, Owen Bradley. Bill Anderson was one performer whose career actually during the Nashville Sound's introductory year. "I Get The Fever" which features an uncharacteristically rambunctious piano riff by Floyd Cramer, "Mama Sang A Song" one of his signature numbers he has performed thousands of times, "I Love You Drops" one of his biggest hits ever, "The Reverend Mr. Black", and "City Lights" a ballad he wrote for Ray Price that has been recorded by several other artists.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Whisperin'" Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am

RIP

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Would this be the person you refer to? If so I have heard of him over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Anderson_%28singer%29
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 pm

That would be the gentleman. He is now 78 and still working. God bless him. I sure enjoy his early material. He recorded a few duets, the best of which were with Jan Howard. Jan Howard was married to Harlan Howard, one of THE premier country song writers during the heyday of "country and Western" music. Bill Anderson, Willie Nelson and Hank Cochran were three country recording artists who actually got their start as songwriters.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:12 am

Does anyone remember who, besides Johnny Cash recorded "I've got stripes"? He was a country singer that sang with a male group.
He was on78 rpm records. I want to find it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 am

I'm also looking for "Cigaretes, and, whisky, and, wild, wild women" By Grandpa Jones.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:32 am

Interesting question. I was unaware of anyone else recording "I've Got Stripes." I have several Grandpa Jones 78's but not the one you asked about.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:17 am

Too bad. My grandfather, when I was a boy, took me to the bar in Toledo, Ohio. Him for a beer. Me for ginger ale. They had a beautiful 78 RPM juke box there playing that record. I was deeply impressed with the deep bass part in the background.
I used to have the other record by G J. I lost it.

"I've got stripes. Stripes around my shoulders.. I've got chains. Chains around my knees..."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:18 pm

The Johnny Cash version was somewhat of a "rock-a-billy" type of arrangement. I'm assuming the Grandpa Jones version would be more of a bluegrass styling. I'll keep my eyes open for that song.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top