Sparton 880

Go down

Sparton 880

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 pm

This old radio is one I bought at an auction with my Philco 40-180. The Philco had been painted John Deere green and this old Sparton had been painted pink pickle paint. I refinished it and it is one of my favorite sets. Uber-dependable and not crabby about its operating conditions. The antenna is a tad directional, but that is a small gripe. The eye tube finally got pretty dim, so I decided to bring one out and replace the old eye tube. Simple, right? The correct procedure would most likely involve removing the chassis in order for the eye tube to clear the electronic push button tuner. I'm too lazy for going thru all that, so I removed the bezel on the cabinet, which allowed enough wiggle room to get the tube out, change it and then put it back in. This was not a very exciting repair, but the frau is glad to have the green eye back so she can listen to ball games with a good eye tube. Little things impress me as I get older.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Sparton 880

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:52 pm

Sounds nice WC, might you post a picture or two?
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:26 am

You know Jerry, yes I sure could.  And I just might.  The frau hot-rodded the grille cloth and the ARF guys would have a heyday with something like that.  But, hey, she likes it and it can always be redone.  I have no idea what the original cloth should look like.  What was in it when I got it was from an old pair of P-jays that somebody wore out.  I had to take certain artistic privileges when I refinished the cabinet, since I could not get all the hot pink paint out of the end grain.  I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it and post it.  Thanks for your interest.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 am

Me, too.........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Let's try this:

This is not a very good picture for some reason.  It now sports a set of matching black knobs since this picture was taken. The end grain is painted flat black, which I'm sure is not correct. And, yeah, it has semi-gloss polyurethane on it. Everybody who sees this radio in person likes it, whether they like old radios or not. It has fairly exotic grain for a fairly inexpensive 8-tube console with a 9 inch speaker. This is the second best radio I have as far as performance goes. The Philco 40-180 is the best one I have, probably excluding Hallicrafters sets.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Nice looking radio WC, if the frau likes the grill cloth that is all that is needed! Thanks for the pic.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:55 am

There are certain concessions that I must make when it comes to radios. The poor woman has radios sometimes three deep in her house and still makes room for more. Hot rodding grille cloth is her contribution. She dislikes the original style cloth for some reason. Other than Philcos, I don't think I own a radio with correct grille cloth. She likes the grille cloth on Magnavox for some reason. Sparton radios seem to be well built and are good performers from what I have seen. Thanks, Jerry.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down