Robbed Electronically

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Robbed Electronically

Post by 75X11 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 pm

I sat down to do a couple of bills online yesterday and the online banking statement had a pending charge of $1 to a gas station brand I never use. I thought it would be a good idea to notify the bank and dispute it. When they saw the situation and the nature of the transaction, they voided my debit card and assigned a case number. In that length of time the pending charge went from $1 to $100. But that curtailed any further activity with the card. I can't believe the luck in checking the account right then and finding this charge as they made it. I can still pay my bills. This charge happened at least 1000 miles away from here.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Robbed Electronically

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:22 pm

I've said it before, and, I'll say it again. Bill paying, and, banking on line, Very bad idea.... Some bills you can't help, like using pay pal to pay for ebay bills, But, without a doubt, you are too vulnerable to theft otherwise. That's why I never bank online, or, pay bills online.
I'm glad you caught it in time............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:45 pm

A lot of these charges are from pay at the pumps. Thieves will sneak a code reader inside the pump and get your numbers. My wife has that to happen once. Watch out for pumps without the sealed sticker on it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:08 pm

I got hacked at a gas station for $1900 about 10 years ago. The attendant got my number and went on a shopping spree. I don't trust online banking myself. Our bank and credit union is close, so I go in person. I know, I'm an old goat out of touch with technology.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm sure this was a hack. I have to either use online banking or use the atm after hours. I will not do that without carrying around here. Doing it at home is still the better option. I am still working so i have to use these things to conduct my daily affairs.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:27 pm

My dad solved the problem many years ago before it was a problem. He only dealed with cash or checks. It is certainly easier now with direct deposits, the wife scans incoming checks on her phone and dumps them into the bank. Very little need to visit the bank. Yes, auto pay for things like utilities and it saves the time and money for posting checks. So far (cross my fingers) no problems with scams. She does monitor our accounts almost daily (God love her as I have no idea where they are at) and never a problem. Maybe we don't have enough money for scammers to worry about?
Sorry for you problem 75 but glad you caught it in time.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top