Take a break folks!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Take a break folks!!

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 pm

I love tinkering on tube radios. I got into them as a kid because back then they were junk to most folks. It was a fun way to get into electronics. This lead me to a good career in repairing electronics then computers. I continued and repaired them as a hobby as a adult. I ran into a couple of folks who burned me out on them  because I repaired their junk. I should have sent them on their way.  I got out of them for about 20 years.  

Now on to the reason to take a break besides burning out. I picked up this 9x571 radio from a collector/repairman like myself. He had tried to fix it but looks like it never worked for him. I found out he had put a few wires in the wrong place. I figured out where they went and put them back. It still didn't work. I used my signal tracer and found out I could tune and the signal got to the 50L6 sound amp tube  that had the bad wiring. I looked at it and he had replaced a resistor. I checked the resistance and it was open. From its location I figured it had burned out due to the misplaced wiring. So I figured he fixed a few things and the resistor burned out and he replaced it. Then it burned out again and he gave up due to frustration.  I have done similar things and got frustrated. I have learned when I get frustrated to walk away and take a break. I do this at work, I get up go outside a few minutes and come back . Then I figure out in minutes the issue instead of spending hours due to frustration to find the issue. Here is the end result. It plays really well, these are really nice playing radios.

And a picture.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Take a break folks!!

Post by 75X11 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 am

Nice combination. Most units of that model I have seen lately have the horn or the logo damaged. It sounds good with good quieting. How is the changer doing?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:40 am

I have one of these models with a damaged horn. If you have a spare, I might be interested. They are good radios. Good job, Willy.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:09 am

I just brought the Record player in today, I haven't looked at it yet. It doesn't seem to need much. I think just a cleaning and maybe a new output cable. I don't have spare parts but the Nashville meet is in a few weeks. I will keep an eye open for a horn.
This one looks really good, almost like new.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:22 am

I have this same radio, except mine is blonde/ivory color. I statred the recapping of the filters and got stuck after doing them because I don't have the correct voltages. I haven't touched it in almost 6 months. It was a great sounding radio before the recap. I may take another crack at it some time. I also have that same 45 rpm record player, it was with a radio my mom bought. It is missing the needle/cartridge, so I never messed with it.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Very nice.
I have always like the look of that model.

Rob
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top