Ranger Rumblings

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:48 pm

75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ranger Rumblings

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:21 pm

I heard about the new Ranger the other day. Wonder what power plant they will use? Turbo 4 of some kind maybe?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Hopefully they will offer at least 1 or 2 choices. They sure ****** up a free lunch when they dropped that model.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Too bad Ford doesn't offer a four cylinder turbo diesel in their engine line. It would be a nice albiet expensive option. A lot of torque in a small engine. Diesel out here in CA right now is cheaper than regular. Not so 1 year ago out here when diesel was close to premium gas!. I have never owned a pickup but every couple years I find a need for one to pick something up. That's what friends with pickups are for. Wink
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:42 pm

I purchased a used Ranger a little over 2 months ago.  I love that truck!  Not a "better idea" to get rid of it!   I saw the photo of the new Ranger and don't like it!  In 1997 Ford trucks took a turn for the worst in my opinion.  The newer full size trucks are useless status symbols in my opinion. I never see them at work, just people driving them around all polished up. The full size trucks all have small useless beds on the back that at too high to load comfortably. The new Ranger looks to follow that trend.

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:58 pm

I agree Mez (sorry) but that picture does not represent what I thought was the idea of a small pickup like the earlier rangers. It may be having no real referrence to the actual size but it looks big!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:16 pm

I had a 1995 Ranger It was very reliable and good on gas had the 2.3 liter with a 5 speed No hot rod, but it got you where you wanted to go. Can't figure out why Ford dropped them.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:54 pm

This article confirms it's going to be much bigger;
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-ranger-may-return-to-u-s-by-2018-for-reals/

Of course, the latest Ranger is no compact. Today’s “mid-size” trucks are mere inches away from full-size dimensions and not the lightweight, low-riding Rangers, S10s, Datsun 720s, and “YO” Toyotas that populated American roadways in the ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:46 am

A guy at work recently bought one of those new aluminum Ford trucks. It has a little dinky 2.-something litre engine, a V-6 I believe. He paid $55,000 for a Ford truck. That is crazy money. My '73 Chevrolet C-20 with everything you could get and a 454 was only a little over $6500.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:29 am

Come on WC, why the heck do you need a 454 gas guseler? I mean things have improved a lot since 1973. Heck new V6 engines are putting out very high HP values. Enjoy your 454 and when your taking off to your second home in the midwest, let me know, I will buy some oil futures! Very Happy
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:41 am

That old truck, like my old TV's, has been a member of this family since it was brand new.  It and grandpa's old Ferguson tractor and my black Buick will continue to be valued reminders of gentler times gone by.  My wife and I don't get rid of anything just because it is old, and because something "better" has come along in the intervening years.  If something still serves its purpose, it is good as new to me.  I'd bet that if you suggested that 75 to give up his Ford truck, or Mez his, you might get the same response.  

My BIL has the same opinion as you, Jerry.  Always has to have the latest, greenest, most technologically advanced item there is.  He even went so far as to tell me that vacuum tubes were dangerous.  What is the first thing he wants when he comes to our house?  To hear Farrante &Teicher's "Theme From 'The Apartment'" played on an old Magnavox tube stereo.

Besides the sound of the starter on a Buick V-8, or a 265 Chrysler flathead at full wail in grandpa's combine, there are few sounds as sweet as that old 454 exhausting thru a 2 1/2 inch dual system with Flowmaster mufflers.

That's why.   Very Happy  

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 am

I'll buy the gas for my $3500.00 pickup, You pay the $55K car note. Oh, pay the upkeep on all the supplemental systems that make the 6 seem like a full size powerplant as well, or you lose the value of the payoff. Then save the money on the gas. Let me know when the books balance. Smile
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:05 pm

I work with the guy with the $55,000 Ford.  He is trying to tell me how safe it is, how green it is, how it is environmentally sensitive and how it will pay for itself in fuel savings alone in three years.  He will have to drive it over two million miles, just to break even, by my calculations.  This considers the ridiculous insurance premiums they charge for those vehicles, since nobody within 200 miles of here has the equipment to do body work on them.  The thing has TWO turbochargers, built into the cylinder heads. (This is the owner's claim.  My understanding is that the exhaust manifolds are integral with the heads and the turbos are bolted to those.  Whatever.  It still has two turbochargers on that dinky little engine.)  Can you imagine what even routine maintenance, like a leaky valve cover gasket, can cost?  I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it.  If a guy wants a new truck for the sake of buying a new truck, fine.  But don't try to give me that old bilgewater of how much the savings will be.  As a depreciating asset, that $55,000 truck will be worth $15,000 in five years.  It may likely need big money maintenance by that time.  I hear that short-tripping a direct-injected engine can cause intake system "coking" requiring expensive remedies.  Manufacturers are employing racing technology in passenger vehicles in order to satisfy the governmental regulations on emissions and fuel economy.  They are squeezing 300+ horsepower out of that little 2.7 litre V-6.  The redline on that TRUCK engine is 8000 rpm.  I can remember when the old V-8 Novi Indy engine ran at 7200 rpm and folks wondered how they kept them in one piece.  The Novi used a centrifugal blower that you could still hear for three weeks after they shut the engine down.  It made 850 horsepower out of 288 cubic inches.  

Without hijacking your thread, the 1973 model trucks from Ford and GM were the basis for the luxurious appointments and refinement found in current production trucks.  Ford took a somewhat more subdued approach than GM, but the 1973 GM trucks were as different from the 1972 models as one could imagine.

I have another friend, a farmer, who owns a recent GMC pickup, a dually. He lives on a gravel road. It turns into a pig wallow when it rains. The truck has electric power steering on it. The mud from the roads fouls that electric power steering so it no longer functions. He just paid big money to have his electric power steering system replaced. It is not under warranty, due to "owner neglect" and being "run outside of design parameters." Nice. Now farmers have to remove their power steering systems when it rains, then get to re-install it when the sun shines.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 pm

I'll buy the gas for my $3500.00 pickup, You pay the $55K car note. Oh, pay the upkeep on all the supplemental systems that make the 6 seem like a full size powerplant as well, or you lose the value of the payoff. Then save the money on the gas. Let me know when the books balance. Smile

75, after 22 pages of fixing your Ford pickup which were indeed entertaining and a lovely truck, I'm just too old to go through keeping something like that running. Crying or Very sad
I'm guessing your not adding in your labor or replacement parts? If people are really paying 55K for a new pickup, more power to them. Perhaps should look for one a couple years older?
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I have several old Ford trucks; 1976 F250, 1976 F100, 1977 F150, 1978 Bronco and 1979 Bronco.  They will pass everything except a gas station, but I love them! Now I don't drive them everyday but I don't want to give them up.  The Ranger is a 1996 XLT with a 4cyl and 5 spd manual. 
 It doesn't pass anything except a gas station! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Those don't have to pass up any parking spaces to find one it will fit either. Mighty handy!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Another savings on the old trucks is low property tax.  Virginia is one of the states that charges property tax on the value of your vehicle.  My old Fords are something I can maintain myself.  So in my favor I have; low tax, low insurance rates, and low maintenance costs. As pleasure vehicles the cost of fuel is not too often. Those new vehicles eat at your wallet even while you sleep!

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:46 pm

A number of years back, I was thinking of getting a vehicle to replace my '83 Bronco II. My mother wanted me to get "a nice car". So, I got an '86 Toronado complete with car note. There were only a couple of things one could do with it as far as maintenance went that didn't require the intervention of a mechanic, with some functions that only could be performed at the dealership. Every trip to the shop started at 200 bucks and went up from there. I couldn't even access the spark plugs on the transverse mounted engine. The electronic ignition system started failing regularly after I moved down here and the last repair performed on it cost eight hundred bucks. The fancy VFD instrument cluster then failed. I found a dim one at a junk yard and installed it then sold the car, swearing I: A: would not own another GM product, B: would not purchase another vehicle on time payment and C: I would locate and secure a vehicle that was within my capability to repair, researching them prior to purchasing. I then found my next car, a 1979 Ford Ranchero GT and paid 2100.00 cash for it. I maintained the vehicle from 1996 on, using it as my daily driver. I sold it 3 years ago for 2100.00, no questions asked. This system has worked for me pretty well and also allows me to keep up my mortgage payments and home expenses as well.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Taxes are better on the older units. The Ad Valorem tax on the P/U is $24 and the Mustang is $52.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Love it Mez, I guess it comes down to what you want to pass! Smile
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:54 am

Payments and depreciation never end. If you have an older, paid for vehicle and cash gets short, you park it until the situation improves if need be. If you have a note or have every dime you own invested in a vehicle and you become cash strapped, you can lose all you have gained. No question paid for is more economical per mile. There is a trade-off in aggravation. I like older vehicles and have had good service and a minimum of hassle with one. Not everybody has the same results, naturally. I have been hashing around for at least a year on whether to buy a new or newer car. I just have not convinced myself to let go of that much money, then watch depreciation eat it up. Even a cheap car is $25,000 or better. That is a lot of money to me. Those more fortunate have my eternal respect.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top