36" CRT TV's

Go down

36" CRT TV's

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:57 pm

I am currently working at my local Habitat For Humanity ReStore a few hours a month (not community service, I stay out of trouble) and they have a crapload of CRT TV's there. Right now some are priced kind of high and some are priced to get rid of. At some point I would like to upgrade to a 36" model if I can get one cheap enough. As my 32" Sharp is still going strong, but the color is getting just a tad funky and once in awhile it will have a purple spot in a corner. It's kinda like someone put a magnet to the screen, but nobody has. So I'd like a replacement before this one decides to fail on me. Right now there is a Sony Triton and a Zenith I have my eye on, and I know both are really good brands but I'm not certain which one I would get or if I should hold out for other brands. So besides those two brands, are there any other brands I should consider? I believe both models I looked at were around 14 or 15 years old, which doesn't bother me since I know they last a very long time usually. It would be nice if I could find one that could do 720p resolution so I can watch widescreen movies without them being cut off, but I know that may be a longshot on a CRT model or is that more common than I'm thinking?
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: 36" CRT TV's

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:57 pm

We have a 1996 RCA 36" Home Theater console that we bought new and use everyday. It may cut off the edge of the picture, but since there is little on TV we really enjoy anymore, it does not really matter. This thing will outlive me. I'd say most any TV of that vintage would be a good one, regardless of brand. I'm partial to RCA, but that is just me.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm

I don't see too many consoles, but the ones I do see are 25 or 27" but most are in good condition. I have nothing against them but they are just too small for me after having a 32". I figured most any brand would be good but was not sure. I really like Zenith and still have a 19" with UHF and VHF dials that should still work if it survived sitting in an inch or two of water a few times in the basement. However I am open to any brand that works, looks good and that I can hook my computer into via S-video. Just right now that Sony is priced at like 75.00, I'm hoping they will mark it down soon like a bunch of other TV's they have.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:36 am

TRG, just go and buy a flat screen TV of the size you like. They are now cheap and run it until it dies and by another! Years ago I gifted a Sony probably 32" with a nice picture to upgrade to a 42" flat screen that I could actually pick up. It took two strong dudes to carry that dang Sony out to their pickup and practically killed them to lift it into the pickup.
Unless you are into B/W ancient technology TVs which is fine, I wouldn't mess with "modern" color CRT TVs. JMHO
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:08 am

I wish I could afford a flat screen, but around here even used they are way too expensive. To buy a good used 37" around here is probably 200.00 and a good new 32" is about the same price. At one time I looked at the super cheap 32" ones Walmart.com that were around 150.00 and all of them had bad reviews and lacked alot of features. I even considered buying a large DLP that was older, but it needed a bulb that was 50-60.00 and would likely need one every 6-8 months. When I buy a 36" CRT it will be for less than 50.00. I know they are heavy suckers and that is what I have friends and brothers for.. When I got my 32" I couldn't move it and it weighs around 110 pounds.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:45 am

That late an RCA was made in China. RCA went out of business in the 70's. On the Sony, do you mean Triniton? If so, these are supposed to be among the best of the modern sets.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 am

I don't care where it was built, it has been a dandy. It has a "Tru-Flat" CRT, and looks like a square flat panel set. It is horrendously heavy, but is on a tilt base. I have to get help to move it to clean under it.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 pm

I'd vote for the Sony.
75X11

Number of posts : 4581
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 am

The Sony is the one I really want, and hopefully it gets marked down by next month. If not I'm hoping to get them to negotiate on price with me since it has been sitting so long. Some of their prices are a bit wonky since they have too many people deciding the prices.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:25 am

Bill Cahill wrote:That late an RCA was made in China. RCA went out of business in the 70's.  On the Sony, do you mean Triniton? If so, these are supposed to be among the best of the modern sets.....
That is exactly what I'm talking about. I obviously did not spell it correctly. I thought they were among the best ever made, but wanted some insight from here since not everything on other websites is always accurate.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:04 am

The last really good RCA's were the Japanese ones in the eighties.
I'd recommend against a 70's to 90's Zenith. However, in the two thousands, China, or, Japan made a good Zenith with a picture tube.
The hospital I've been to used to have a really good 27" stereo Zenith that played very well. Yuck. Now, they have twenty inch flat screens mounted on the walls near the ceiling. Picture isn't good, and, at night, every thirty seconds, on, or, off, the back of the sets have a disturbing white flash for a couple of seconds. Never did like that. I kept a room light on so the constant flashing wouldn't disturb me....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Here are two photos of my Gmail inbox. One is from my monitor and one is from my TV. The first one is my monitor and the second one from my TV. You can clearly see why I's like to replace my TV soon. I believe I bought my current TV close to 5 years ago for like 10.00 off of Craigslist. It's been a great TV, but in the last year the color has been going out.

tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 pm

I FINALLY purchased a TV, settled for another 32" since it was the right price. Got a Sony WEGA KV32FS120 from 2005. I only paid 6.67 for it since it was on clearance. It has Composite, S-Video 4 pin and Componet Video inputs along with audio output. The audio out is a nice feature that will allow me to only use 1 input on my receiver for my Roku and VCR instead of constantly switching inputs for each device. Now I just gotta get it home in the next couple days.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Good luck with it. Looks like it was time for one.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Congrats trg, it should provide you a great picture and at a great price. Please get some help moving it as they are heavy.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks. Yes, it is time for a new one. My Sharp is slowly failing, but will stick around for a back up. I almost bought a 1998 Mitsubishi 32" for about 25.00, but it was just a little too old for that price and for a daily driver. Although I'm sure it was a good TV but I liked the Sony better. I also know that line was Sony's highend model.I know they are super heavy and I will have help getting and moving it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:04 am

Well I got the monster today, and a monster it is. It weighs in at 165 pounds and took my brother and I to get it out of his car and to carry it into the house. He drives a 1998 Cavalier and this TV was so large it would only fit in his front seat. I even think this 32" weighs more than his 36" Sharp TV because he was able to his TV by himself, but didn't even attempt to try that with my Sony. Once I got it in and all my stuff hooked up the picture was crisp and clear with great color. Now if TimeWarner just wouldn't choke down there HD programming to less than 4:3 on certain programs, I'd be able to see my entire screen while watching TV.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Good luck with it. Be careful not to get stuck for disposal on your failing unit. It having some function might earn it admission to a thrift store, with the tax benefits.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum