Bet You Didn't Know!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bet You Didn't Know!

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm

In addition to the "mouse" for your computer there was also a "cat."

http://cuecat.com/

The :CueCat was a barcode scanner manufactured by vendors of RadioShack Corporation in the early 2000's. The product and associated intellectual property would instantly and directly link product UPC, EAN, ISBN as well as the unique :CRQ Cue codes to their appropriate web sites. Usually these were to links buried deeply within a site which could be further targeted demographically or geographically. The unique Cue code The unique Cue codes were placed within traditional media content and some advertisements in publications like Wired Magazine, Forbes and its specialty magazines, Parade Magazine and several daily newspapers. Product Cues were also placed in many catalogs to facilitate instant e-commerce shopping and the automation of wish lists. As you can imagine, this technology could eliminate search with "laser beam" accuracy.

Back to top Go down

Re: Bet You Didn't Know!

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:45 pm

I did not know that.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:29 pm

I see them brought up on occasion. Those are the only times I remember them.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Knew about it? I lived it!

I was 20 years old and walked into my favorite local Radio Shack and got one just for a "time capsule" (I previously got one earlier). They were free "give-aways" that came in a package. This was Pre-9/11 when the Tech boom and .com boom were still surging away.

I dug it out to share with you what you got originally. I have the complete un-opened kit.

Custom Give-Away bag

CueCat scanner and CueTv connection cable kit

CueTV? NBC network was a partner. The idea was that audio "cues" sent from the network would automatically open your web browser to the product being advertised's page.

Informational brochure

Info inside...

Ooh! A contest to generate even more excitement!

Years later, my Bro-n-law (the computer guru) spotted the now defunct cat in my pile of PC "stuff" and mentioned how these actually were the very first 3rd party "cookie" device basically invading your privacy keeping track of your interests/"scans"/purchases etc. and sending them to "Big Brother Cat".

For me, it's an interesting piece of technohistory that never left the launch pad so-to-speak like so many other ideas."
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:33 am

I have two of them with one being unopened and for the same reason as you.

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:06 pm

I don't have a cat and never wanted one, evil little creatures. I have had dogs and well several mice (mouses?), track balls etc. No cats for me. Smile Smile
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum