OBD I

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OBD I

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Here in Georgia, plates are renewed each year on ones' birthday. I am trying to get my emissions tested. My Mustang GT is a '94 with OBD I protocol. My '96 F-150 is an OBD II vehicle. So the Mustang must have an actual test, while the truck just has a diagnostic readout. I went to my usual emissions station and a lady had a wreck on the dynamometer so they couldn't do it. I tried 5 other places and all of their dyno's are bad. I finally got to one that was good and the exhaust analyzer crapped out during the test. I think I may have found a place out in the country that has a functioning tester. At least it was when I called and asked. 3 more years of this circle jerk 'til it needs no more.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: OBD I

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:45 pm

We go thru that in AZ as well. A complete circle jerk, as you say. The Tahoe gets a plug in its OBD 2 connector, but the truck gets the dyno. The Buick is exempt. Those silly, jacked up diesel pickups with no muffler get the dyno. They pull the "smoke" chip for smog testing, put it back in before they leave the parking lot. $27.00 for two years. I have to change the valve covers and air cleaner on my 454 Chevy because it won't pass emissions without the stock steel valve covers. Something about the way the PCV system is routed. I put my "Tonawanda" valve covers and air cleaner back on and drive.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:52 pm

WC, not all of AZ requires smog testing. In Sedona for 15 years and no, they don't require it. In CA of course, now as we go back and forth. I hate to register the vehicles here and go through the headaches. I must admit it does get the really bad smokers off the road or fixed. I wonder how many states require "smog checks"?
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Usually it is the larger urban areas within each and every state that requires them. I would there is an online source for the locations. we also have a outdoor burning ban May thru September.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Northern Virginia aka NOVA, requires smog testing but not in the rural farm area where I live.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:53 am

Our crummy governor stopped smog testing years ago in the entire state. Now, pollution is getting very bad. People are driving around smog mobiles........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:52 pm

The county I live in requires it. You're right, Jerry, not all AZ counties require it.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:13 pm

No smog testing here and that is a good thing. It's a good thing because people like to cut off the Catalytic Converters and re-route belts to skip over smog pumps on vehicles that have them. They cut the converters because most of the time when a vehicle isn't running properly they automatically assume it is plugged or bad. Sometimes they even go with no mufflers. If there were smog testing likely 70% of older vehicles would not be on the road and in the scrap or junk yards because they don't want to cough up the cost for a new cat converter. It also doesn't help that there was some idiot advertising on CL to buy them, likely thinking he would extract the platnium and make money off of it. Which I know there is only a very very small amount of it in them.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Usually the converters fail and clog because the air pump goes or the air injection tubes fall off and it just loads up.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Anyone who has lived in the So. CA area back in the late 60s would appreciate the introduction of smog testing on cars. I can remember many times I couldn't see three blocks away due to air pollution. Now back again the the change is dramatic in comparison, more cars and less smog. No more going for inhalation therapy every couple days. Clean running cars are great. Now if you live in an area with few cars and not valleys that trap the air, you might not notice the difference. Remember the pollutants are going somewhere! I'm not feeling bad with my cars, both will pass any smog test but it is nice to know in Northern AZ I don't have to go to the time required to having them checked.
No, I will not pull off a smog pump, let's face it, they haven't used those in years. If you have a car that old it might be time to replace it. Cat converters are yes expensive, if bad, replace it! Keep the air kind for all around you.
My rant!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:42 pm

I worked on vehicles for years, but never did much with emission controls. Maybe replaced an O2 sensor once or twice but that is about it. I used to hear people say that if your vehicle sounded like a street sweeper that your converter was likely plugged up. Then that is when people would cut them off and straight pipe it instead of replacing it.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:49 pm

When mine sounded like that, the air pump was failing.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Well, the car failed. The truck passed handily.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:43 pm

took the car to my favorite (honest) mechanic shop. They ran it on a another station's tester that had different averaging than the one I used. they said mine failed because there was a lag in the electronic shift that gave higher hydrocarbon emissions during the low speed test. It has now passed. (the test) Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum