"Everything I Love"........

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Everything I Love"........

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Alan Jackson recorded this song, apparently now my new theme song. It used to be "Mr-In-between", until I went to the doctor recently for my yearly "wellness" physical.

Medicare requires a yearly wellness physical. I guess I could refuse to participate. I just found out that everything I love is killing me. According to the medical profession, that is.

This is getting silly. I have good blood pressure, good cholesterol readings, almost low blood sugar. I can walk, talk, see, hear, and do almost everything I ever could. The doc griped about corn sugar in Pepsi, so I started drinking Pepsi with sugar instead. Now sugar is the enemy. I ain't giving up Pepsi. I already gave up King Edwards, Salem, Strohs, trucking, and chasing the girls who work at the pork plant, now she wants me to give up Pepsi as well? She wants me to get some of those old guy shoes to support my ankles, she says. I refuse. I don't have foot trouble. She wants me to quit going barefoot. I have gone barefoot for over 60 years. I don't have pain, neuropathy, tingling, plantar fasciitis, none of that. I have good circulation in my legs and feet. I get a pedicure once a month, and do not have ingrown nails, foot fungus or athletes' foot. She wants me to give up my "kid" shoes. I wear Converse, DC and stuff like that because they are squishy. I wear athletic socks. I hate those hard, clunky old guys shoes. I have a friend, two years younger than myself, who wears old guy shoes, takes a handful of pills in the morning, another handful at noon, and another handful at suppertime to counteract the two handfuls he took earlier and the guy is always sick, always running to the doctor. Outside of the normal aches and pains and occasionally some tinnitus, I have really nothing to complain about. I take one pill a day, and a baby aspirin. I take thyroid medication. And I'm a 12 year Stage Four throat cancer survivor. I quit smoking in 1988 cold turkey. I do not have a gut, nor do I let the crack of my butt show like most older men. I refuse to grow up and I refuse to act my age. I like to cuss and don't care if women are around or not. I like loud country music. I walk our overweight dogs twice a day unless the pavement is too hot. I quit riding my bicycle because I refuse to pay the price they want for 24" tires. And those new Chinese bicycles. I have been blessed way beyond my due, yet this silly doctor wants me to be an invalid like most of the other guys my age. I refuse to sit in the doctor's waiting room every week with the Medicaid patients and gripe about every little ache and pain. I weigh 175 pounds, which is exactly what I weighed in high school. I can still wear my senior cords.

"Everything I love is killin' me,
Cigarettes, Jack Daniels and caffeine,
That don't seem like the way it oughta be,
But everything I love, I'm gonna have to give up.
Everything I love is killin' me......."

I already quit going to Sonic for a foot long chili dog with extra onion, extra cheese and extra grease every week. If you drove an old car, you got a discount. Now that my Buick is not here, I have to pay full price. I'm cheap, so we only go once a month now. I get a normal dog, steamed, and hold the extra cheese and extra grease. I am down from three 12 packs of Pepsi a week to just two a day. And I drink the kind with sugar, not corn syrup. Corn is good for you, but corn syrup is not? Makes no sense, but whatever. I quit salting as heavy, less black pepper, not as heavy on the Texas Pete on my grits and scrambled eggs. I refuse to eat that stupid gravy that comes in those little packs with no sausage. That stuff is gross. I have to die of something, and I am NOT going to eat unauthorized, fake gravy. I will agree to grill that nice fat hamburger I get at the Amish meat market. No turkey bacon or fake meat, however. I will fry my potatoes in peanut oil, not lard. I will limit my grease intake. I will not gripe when the frau wants me to eat Brussels sprouts and eat my veggies. I will eat fruit for breakfast, and drink Boost for a late night snack. The dogs and I will only have cheese and weenies a couple times a week, rather than every day. The vet says that ain't good for them. I will make my concessions to old age, but will not yield to it. I will eat authorized gravy, drink Pepsi in moderation, wear my skate tennies, and may buy a little zippy car to thumb my nose at convention. I will take a flu shot, a pneumonia shot, and a shingles shot. They say 60 is the new 40, so here I come, 50. Wish me luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Everything I Love"........

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

It does seem like there is something new, to give up or to start with each doctor's visit. I always try the alternatives and some are a pleasant surprise, some I wouldn't touch with someone else's 10 foot pole. You might try a visit to a foot doctor. They make shoes that can be ordered through the doctor that are a pretty nice compromise between good construction and comfort and if you qualify, the medical can take up some or most of the cost. I can't stand diet drinks with aspartame. they taste like sweet medicine. I do like soft drinks with splenda. They taste more like sugar with no aftertaste. my butter is smart balance, it melts like butter and tastes good. They also make regular and buttered microwave popcorn that also tastes good. I can eat turkey sausage and bacon and egg whites instead of whole. It helps to do without a while prior to starting them. I like beer and to that end I have non alcoholic beer. It even has less calories. I also use sucralose instead of sugar. It comes less expensively at wal mart. I don't want to do without, so I look for and try the alternatives. Good luck!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:26 pm

The point I was trying to make was this. I am being forced into a medical visit to test for the possibility of maybe having something more wrong with me. The two things I mentioned in my visit, tinnitus and muscle cramps were not addressed. In fact, I was told there is nothing that can be done for either condition. Physical therapy has pretty much gotten the tinnitus under control and tonic water with quinine will take care of the cramps. Staying hydrated also helps with cramps.

I told the doc during my "interview" that I would occasionally feel especially tired after I got off work. She asked if my feet hurt, and I replied, honestly, that, yes, on occasion they did. That was when she got onto the "old guys" shoe kick. You see, the medical clinic has started handling a line of personal aid items like adult diapers, walkers, wheelchairs, shoes that sort of thing. Since she could find nothing wrong with me otherwise, my comment about occasional sore feet put her into "sell mode" and she tried to upsell me on some clunky old man's shoes. When my wife went for her physical, they tried to sell her a line of adult diapers, since one of her complaints was the urgent need to go. It appears that, thanks to the Affordable Care Act, the payments from Medicare and Medicaid to clinics has decreased to the point that they have to resort to selling "accessories", often unneeded and at high prices, to offset the shortage of income. Kinda like the "closer" goons in an auto dealership, selling you undercoating and floor mats to upsell you as you go out the door.

I also feel bad about being in a doctor's office, perfectly healthy and feeling fine, and taking up their time better utilized to treat those truly in need. If I should get really suddenly sick, I would have to travel 120 miles to Kansas City to the emergency room. The local clinics are so booked up with Medicaid patients that a sick person can't get a doctor's appointment for six weeks sometimes. You can walk into that clinic almost anytime and see the same people in the waiting room.

My wife has started making me sun tea, sweetened with Splenda. The doctor tells me that is as bad as sugar. She can't tell me WHY sugar or corn sweetener is bad, just that "studies" show they are. To hell with studies, I want a good reason, or she can shut up and I'll enjoy my sweeteners. I have a fairly stout constitution and a family history of longetivity. I feel like if I enjoy about anything I want in moderation, there is no need to subscribe to the "everything I love is killin' me" theory.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:28 pm

How about this for a "theme"? I bet your Doc wouldn't appreciate me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1b68vx38Y&sns=em

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 pm

I had a doctor that also sold a line of dietary supplements. I don't now. I am not going to have a doctor trying to serve me and a dollar both. Splenda is alleged to increase the potential for stones So is tea. So is anything else your body can extract limestone from. I told my doctor I stopped using sugar. He is happy, the blood glucose levels proves it. I just haven't told him about the splenda and he hasn't found any of that in my blood either. Razz
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:17 pm

"Live Fast, Love Hard And Die Young" was one of Faron Young's biggest hits and one of my favorites. I actually had that saying printed on the tailgate of a semi trailer I once owned. Thanks for the memories, Doc. Very Happy

Here is rural Bugtussle, there is little choice of doctors. The doctor I go to is also the doctor for the company I work part time for. She's not a bad doctor really, but I feel she is overbooked. I'm not sure what choice she has in a rural area. There are many truly sick people here, but also some who milk the system pretty hard. That is why it takes so long to get an appointment. I'm sure there are some who have appointments a couple years in advance. Dentists around here do the upsell, too. Teeth whitening is a big deal. Too many opportunities to make a buck that takes time away from doctoring to my way of thinking.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:21 pm

If ones' doctor isn't overbooked now, they will be. They have big bills to pay.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 pm

I had to go as far as changing medical providers. My blood pressure since I was 16 has ranged from 126-130 over 76 to 82. Dr says things have changed and it is to high and I need to be on blood pressure medication. My glucose level has always been about 97, never changed. Well I was put on all these meds, and I could not function. Anytime I stood up or turned my head, I felt like I was going to pass out.
600 dollars worth of tests and DR visits, I was told my blood pressure was 110 over 70 which was perfect, so I just had to live with the side effects. Around the same time, my mailbox was filling up with blood pressure monitors and test kits for diabeties along with e-mails and phone calls. Although they denied it , they sold my medical info!!!! How else would these bottom feeder sales people know??
I finally changed clinics and had a very young DR. tell me to stop all meds. After looking at my records, he stated my normal body temp has always been 97.8 and that all bodies are different. I am now off all meds and feel great.

scottb

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 pm

If you should ever need blood pressure medication, remember there are effective medications that do not cause drowsiness. I had to try 2 to find out about a better medicine.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top