These, these, or these......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

These, these, or these......

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:23 pm

If you were going to replace the speakers in your old console stereo which of these would you choose?  Or none of the above?  These will work with a 50 watt tube stereo amplifier in sealed enclosures.  The goal is enhanced bass output without being obnoxious.

These:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-A-T1525E

Or these:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-A-LEGEND-1518-8

Or these:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-A-DELTA-15LFA-8

Or maybe something else? Thanks.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: These, these, or these......

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 pm

None of the above. First, I can guarantee that they won't match the impedence of originals. Further, Better speakers don't guarantee better sound.
And, if originals are good, why ruinne the originality???

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:13 pm

If you need to replace speakers don't forget to check out MCM Electronics and Allied. I need to order caps for wither projects and I have been buying from Allied. I have also ordered from MCM Electronics but I usually can get all the parts I need from Allied. I do order tubes from AES but for most of the time thats all I get other than clearance from them.

If you have speakers that are good except for the foam surround you can replace the foam. I picked up a set of infinity speakers at goodwill for 6.99 each and got the foam surrounds from ebay. It was easier than I thought and worked really well. I have a set of speakers that cost 1k new for less than 50 bucks. I got them from Geoall and he is out of Nashville. The kit even had the glue and spacers. I followed the instructions and they worked great.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:28 pm

The problem is not foam surrounds. I believe the problem to be just tired old speakers. Another problem is that people who sell speakers don't know anything about stereo. They are only interested in selling musical instrument speakers. I never thought about those two places. Thank you, I'll check them also.

Originality is not my concern as far as speakers go. I am not satisfied with the performance of the originals and want to find suitable replacements without having to change anything else, not even the speaker connections. I will keep the originals in case somebody after I'm gone should want them. I try to keep things as original as I can. If something does not work, why keep it just because it's original. We change the tubes, wiring, caps, resistors and that anyway. They are no longer original. These are 8 ohm speakers, so they should not be exotic as far as an impedance match goes.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:39 pm

MCM has 15", 8 ohm speakers with 67 ounce magnet, 3" voice coil, 97 db sensitivity, Xmax at 4mm, rated at 200 watts for $31.49. They seem to have a five star review rating. How could a person go wrong at that money? If these hold up for the "twang and bang" crowd, they should work in an old stereo. I can do a lot of tinkering for a third the money that AES wants. I had never gotten onto the MCM site before. It may merit a closer look. Thanks, Willy. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:00 pm

MCM is good to deal with and they have been around about 40 years. We use to buy from them at a electronics repair shop I worked at back in the mid 80s. I like AES as they have most tubes I need but the rest seems way too high.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:01 am

I like the JJ filter caps AES sells. I buy stuff there, but not many tubes. Thanks for the tip on MCM, Willy.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Be sure to call in your order and take advantage of their first time discounts, usually 10%.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum