Are these clothes and shoes 1960's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are these clothes and shoes 1960's?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 pm

I bought these three items off eBay a couple years ago because I like that type of stuff but I'm not certain exactly what period they are from. The reason I am now curious is because my city has put together a series of commercials that are 60's themed about shopping in downtown. Well this Saturday they are filming the last installment of the series and it is going to be a group dance and I'd like to be in it and be able to wear period correct or close to period correct clothing in it. The pants are Farah brand and just barely flare out at the bottom of the leg and are made of a soft denim. I actually kinda sorta "fought" for them.. The shoes are Pedwin brand, a loafer style made of leather. The tie is made of knit or a similar material, I like to call it a "power tie". With all that said, I'm just not certain what color shirt to wear with all that. I've only worn the tie once with a black shirt. I just don't have a period correct or close to period correct shirt or I'd wear it.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Are these clothes and shoes 1960's?

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 pm

The tie, 1969 to about 72 or 3, The shoes about 1973 to 78  and the jeans 1969 to 79.  That is from a young man squarely in the era of questionable taste.  Very Happy

For a 60's look, wingtip brown shoes.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:24 pm

That is what I kinda thought on the shoes, but I was thinking they could pass for 60's. I was thinking the tie was a bit earlier, but not surprised it's as late as it is. The jeans, I figured were late 60's to early 70's but wasn't 100% sure since that style was around for sometime. I bought those three things a few years apart. I probably had the shoes 6 or 7 years, the tie 5 or 6 years and the pants 4 or 5 years. I do have one other pair of shoes I bought before the the white ones. They are Good Year brand, and do need some shorter laces in them. I'm thinking these are late 60's but not certain.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:16 am

Actually, when you think of the sixties as a decade you need to think more along the lines of Mad Men. Suits and ties, wingtip shoes, very little flash, slicked back hair. It was a very conservative time right up to the point where the Vietnam War triggered the peace movement.

Pictures of me from the 60s show a young boy that looks like he wants to be a tax accountant.

Your clothing items are more specific to the 70s, where many of the conventions had been relaxed or dropped. The 70s was the era of bell bottom jeans, loud print shirts of polyester, bold ugly ties (if ties were worn at all) ranging from excessively wide to tiny and narrow. Shoes came out in all sorts of colors and styles, then late in the 70s heels got ridiculously large and "stacked".

Personally, I wouldn't try to pass off your vintage finds as 60s wear. You'll stand out as an anachronism.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 am

Those shoes makes me think you need this music to listen to.

How many got that reference?

I am with Greg on this, the outfit looks to be from the 70s. Check this clip out from Lawrence Welk. Notice the white shoes and ties. I was 10 in 1974 and I remember these outfits everywhere then.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

tuberadiogeek wrote:That is what I kinda thought on the shoes, but I was thinking they could pass for 60's. I was thinking the tie was a bit earlier, but not surprised it's as late as it is. The jeans, I figured were late 60's to early 70's but wasn't 100% sure since that style was around for sometime. I bought those three things a few years apart. I probably had the shoes 6 or 7 years, the tie 5 or 6 years and the pants 4 or 5 years. I do have one other pair of shoes I bought before the the white ones. They are Good Year brand, and do need some shorter laces in them. I'm thinking these are late 60's but not certain.

Those shoes should do it.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:14 am

Your first post is of the 1970's and those white shoes would work well with a leisure suit!

In the 1960's guy (in high school) wore tight (pegged) pants. These pants were called "continental" , they had no belt loops or cuffs. Many of the shoes were black leather and had pointed toes.
There was also the college look; Penny loafers with khaki pants and madras shirt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:39 am

I have a picture of my wife and I, standing in from of Bob Catterson Buick in Indianapolis. We are standing in by the front fender of our new 1974 Buick Electra 225 Limited. I have an afro, and am wearing a burgundy leisure suit with a pink ruffled shirt with wide lapels, burgundy tie and red patent leather boots. The wife has a burgundy mini-skirt with white knee-high boots. We look like a couple of drug dealers. This was our finest duds. Those shoes look like what the salesman was wearing. That is an era of dress that I certainly do not miss. My wife keeps that picture in case we ever get divorced. She says she is going to use that picture to show my mental stability. We have the picture hanging on the wall of a back bedroom. I am always amazed at what we went thru when we were younger. I actually liked double-knot leisure suits. I liked those red patent leather Dingo boots, too. Jimmy Dean had a pair like them. I was cutting a pretty wide swath when I wore those boots and drove that old Buick.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

Laughing
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I have a picture of my wife and I, standing in from of Bob Catterson Buick in Indianapolis.  We are standing in by the front fender of our new 1974 Buick Electra 225 Limited.  I have an afro, and am wearing a burgundy leisure suit with a pink ruffled shirt with wide lapels, burgundy tie and red patent leather boots.  The wife has a burgundy mini-skirt with white knee-high boots.  We look like a couple of drug dealers.  This was our finest duds.  Those shoes look like what the salesman was wearing.  That is an era of dress that I certainly do not miss.  My wife keeps that picture in case we ever get divorced.  She says she is going to use that picture to show my mental stability. We have the picture hanging on the wall of a back bedroom.  I am always amazed at what we went thru when we were younger.  I actually liked double-knot leisure suits.  I liked those red patent leather Dingo boots, too.  Jimmy Dean had a pair like them.  I was cutting a pretty wide swath when I wore those boots and drove that old Buick.

WC

It didn't happen without the picture being posted. Seriously post the picture! Show this young man what the hip styles were in the 70s. All he has to go on is that 70s show.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Greg, I actually bought that stuff for a 70's look. I think I watched Satuday Night Fever one too many times.. LOL.. I think I could pass off the pants and black shoes though, plus I will probably be the only one in period or close to period correct clothing. I know the 70's had some crazy looks and crazy high shoes. At one time I had a pair of costume Platform shoes, they had like a 3 or 4" heel on them. They were not very good quality and broke after wearing a few times. I eventually plan to get a real pair with 2-3" heels, they just don't come cheap.
I see exactly what you mean Willy.
75, I figured those would be closer to that era but wasn't certain.
Mezlaw, I know. It's too bad I don't have one. I used to have a walking suit from the 70's. Not certain whatever happened to it though. Wouldn't "continential" pants be very similar to "high waters"? Or would those be more 70's? However you'd never catch me in tight legged pants. That is because i'm just a bit too large for that look and my knees would stick out quite a bit since both are larger than softballs. I wish I could find some black pointed toe shoes but the closest thing I have are round toe zipper boots, which are likely vintage, but not old enough to pass for 60's. I used to have some Penny loafers, but just not vintage. I'd like to find some though.
WC, that is along the lines of the look I hope to achive at some point. Not for every day but on occasion because there is just something about that look I like. Plus I like to dress differently from everybody else once in awhile. Just here recently I have been dressing in the early 90's style since I recently got some clothing from that time, which is when I was a teenager.
75, I agree that he should post that photo, it would be interesting to see. I never watched "that 70's show" to see the 70's look. I just watched Saturday Night Fever quite a bit.. LOL
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:41 pm

There is NO way I"m posting that picture!  My wife was so mad at me when I bought that car.  She wanted a Bonneville convertible.  No way would a Buick guy drive a Pontiac!  That '74 Buick was the biggest pile of junk GM ever put on wheels.  I could write a book on just the stuff that went wrong in the first 5000 miles.  It was my last new Buick.  I traded it in on a '77 GMC pickup with a 454, which may have been the best vehicle I ever owned.  

My wife informs me that my old burgundy leisure suit is still wrapped in plastic, hanging in the closet of the back bedroom.  She still has part of her outfit in that picture.  I would not be caught dead wearing that get-up nowadays.  I wish you the best, though.  You will definitely impress your friends if you go out in public wearing clothes like that.   Very Happy

You need to find a Village People eight track tape and a Donna Summer as well.  Get into the spirit.  Grow some mutton-chop sideburns.

And just for the record, what do I drive right now? A 2004 Pontiac Grand Am with almost 180,000 miles on it. The second best vehicle I ever owned.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top