How Did You Get Your Very First Transistor Radio?

Go down

How Did You Get Your Very First Transistor Radio?

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:12 am

I was about 11 years old when I saw one of these "contests" in the mail;

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vintage_1960s_Punch_Card_with_a_2-Transistor_Radio_as_the_Prize_(8530209482).jpg

My Grandmother took this to work and made it happen for me.

Last edited by MEZLAW on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)

Back to top Go down

Re: How Did You Get Your Very First Transistor Radio?

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 am

Over my early years my mother gave me several "pocket " Boys' transistor radios. Two I wish I had again. Plus, an uncle gave me an early high voltage transistor radio first which worked on an earphone only. I believe it worked on a 45 volt battery. It fell out of my lap in the car on the ride home with it. It never played again, and, hit the trash can. Wish I had it now. It was large, and, had a maroon plastic case. It had rf tunning.
I think it had two transistors which for a relatively small shirt pocket radio were large diameter. I believe the battery was round with a snap at both ends.
Maybe the battery died.
My mother didn't want to buy a new battery, though..
The antenna was a whip antenna.
My favorite boys' radios were both blue. One a small shirt pocket, and, the other, a large shirt pocket. I dare you to find a pocket to fit that one in. They were both made in Japan. Wish I had them now.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:01 am

I don't remember how I got my first, but I do remember being enthralled by the pocket sized radios at an early age. Fond memories of riding in the back of the station wagon with an earphone in one ear, searching for signals while driving to Florida.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:49 pm

I asked for one for my 13th birthday, and my dad got it for me. It was like this one, only in white. Funny thing, he got a shortwave portable not too long after, and I used it so much he got me a S/W and he took the pocket edition to work with him to listen to.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ge+pocket+transistor+radio&view=detailv2&&id=3CC62179C1752F4C26D487B58D8FF6B12B7C8B22&selectedIndex=190&ccid=r8lY%2bV1j&simid=608011316434372302&thid=JN.IHExZGejEdq3%2fpd3byp9eA&ajaxhist=0
75X11

Number of posts : 4581
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 pm

1969 - I was 11 years old. My great uncle (he raised my mother) gave me one of these Koyo's. I still have it. It still works. I sort of abused it for many years and the housing is badly cracked, but a few years ago at a club auction I bought the identical unit but with a cheap faux leather case and a mint housing. I'll swap in the good housing and use the guts and real leather case that mine came with.
(photo credit - off the web ... not mine)

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Greg Davis wrote:I don't remember how I got my first, but I do remember being enthralled by the pocket sized radios at an early age.  Fond memories of riding in the back of the station wagon with an earphone in one ear, searching for signals while driving to Florida.

So, when are you coming back to Florida????

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:57 am

My first transistor radio was an Airline in a leather case. I think I still have it somewhere.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:08 am

My aunt got me one for Christmas when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. It's around here somewhere.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:43 pm

about 1975 or 76. I saved up $10 from chores and a shared paper route and walked or rode my bike up to a tiny, neighborhood, family owned department store (Remember those?) and bought it. I had been looking at it under the counter for a couple months.
AM only. Speaker plus the ubiquitous beige earphone. I want to say it was a GE. Maybe an RCA...but it was a major "American" brand, probably made in Japan.
There was still top 40 rock and roll on AM then.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:33 pm

I don't remember my first transistor radio. I think I bought one at a yard sale for a quarter, that may have been my first. Long gone. I do remember getting my first tube radio, I was about 12 and I still have it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1411
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:03 am

My first tube radio was a Westinghouse refrigerator radio (little jewel) when I was 10 or 12. Still have it. As I remember It needed a tube the filament was open. Dad got me the tube, I think he wanted it to work as much as I did.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down