Rediscovering what I already own

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rediscovering what I already own

Post by Greg Davis on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

Some of you know I recently moved from WA to TX.  The process of moving is never easy or particularly kind to the things we own.  This is particularly true when we take it upon ourselves to pack up our collections, as I did, in advance of the arrival of the movers (in an attempt to reduce the "clutter" in the house for the purpose of staging and selling the house).

You may also remember that before moving I sold off some of the lower end pieces in my collection of plastic shelled tube radios prior to the move.  And I am sure it comes as no real surprise that upon arrival in our new home in TX, unpacking the radios was not my first priority.

Now that all my first priorities are addressed, I have begun to rediscover my packed away treasures.  So far I have only unboxed a few, and so far only one was badly damaged (the shell being smashed).  I attribute the damage to the fact that too many boxes got stacked on top of the one containing that radio.  No great loss, of course.  Plastic shelled tubers are a dime a dozen now, and you can't give them away at swap meets any more.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing all of my old RF sets again.  Having solid wooden cases, I doubt they came to any harm, but am anxious to see for myself.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Rediscovering what I already own

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am

I know exactly what you are saying, between moving and now having two homes there is always a pleasant discovery. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:24 am

Moving is on my "to do" list in a couple years. I don't look forward to it. Outside of some tubes I have sold on TRF and a little crystal radio, I haven't gotten rid of a thing. That may come back to bite me in the butt someday. An "expert" on ARF calls the refusal to get rid of possessions a mental illness. I'm guilty, I reckon. Rolling Eyes

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Or, a hoarder. Same difference.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm not a hoarder. I just make the optimal use of any available space. Very Happy
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:26 pm

I like that explanation, Greg. I prefer to call myself a "stacker." Stack little ones on top of medium size ones on top of big ones. A hoarder is somebody who accumulates stuff and never uses it. I use my stuff. Whatever, I'm not getting rid of anything just yet.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Not moving yet, but slowing moving stuff from one place to another.  The "other" place is much smaller.  The larger console pieces have to go.  Only two left now, a Philco 111 and a Philco 112.  I have found a home for my Scott 800B and a very early console Monarch TRF.  The few smaller radio, about 5, I can make room for.  I never was a collector or hoarder but just enjoyed repairing old radios, most for friends.  
I hope all your radios come out of the move in good shape!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Can someone find me a complete ,at least, phonograph wise Edison radio phonograph model C4? I have a repairable, partially rebuilt power supply. It works, but, driver transformer is open. If your power supply is fried, I don't care. I'll put my good parts on it.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I packed up two households' worth of stuff and moved it from Michigan to Georgia in 1997. The next move I make I want to be with the baggage a trip to the pearly gates will allow.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:28 pm

One time I saw a really neat RCA radio I thought I would like to have. I wanted to find one at a meet to add to my RCA radios. I couldn't find one and one day I was cleaning out my workshop and ran across one of that model I couldn't find. I didn't remember where I got it or even that I already had one. I need to clean up more so I can find radios I have been looking at meet for.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm

When you find you have two, then you know you have a spare. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down