Ah, phooey!!!! RANT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ah, phooey!!!! RANT

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 am

In January I spent a lot of money replacing parts on my twenty four year old Briggs and, Stranton lawn mower.
It worked great!
This week I started mowing the front lawn. I ran into something that apparently did major damage. I was able to get it working, again, and, finished my job in main part of front.
Yesterday I dragged it out of my garage where I keep it safely stored, finished a patch of weeds in front, then, proceeded to start the back yard. I got one mess cleaned up, and, figured I'd start with some walking isles for the dog. I got partly though it, and, heard clunk, and, it quit.
At first, engine was locked, then, started working. I heard a racket, and, it stopped, again. I turned it sideways. Didn't see anything wrong. Turned it back over, tried again. wouldn't start, and, kept making a clanking noise. I turned it over again, and, this time, saw a mangled up piece of steel that had a label that read before replacing blade unplug spark plug. Oh, oh. I took steel piece off the ground, and, turned mover back upright. Started it, and, it made a clacking noise. Shut it down, and, turned it sideways, again. Saw a piece of jagged steel hanging out that was catching the blade. I tried kicking it in with my foot. I tried ita gain, and, for a moment, it worked fine. I finished mowing a small patch, and, went to do another. Suddenly, it started making a racket again, and, I shut it off.. I pushed it back to the garage with the broken bracket laying on top of it. Was having a terrible time because I found out one side of the back of body of mower was laying on the ground. Apparently, the bracket was a support bracket. The lawn mower is obviously junk.

I bought it at Walmart. It's a Briggs and, stranton engine. It has two features I like. One, a bar across the handeld that you release to shut off the engine. The other is the pull rope comes up half way up the handle to make starting easier. Can anyone find me a good condition chassis with a junk motor? If so, you can have the motor. I need a good chassis. In the meantime, here I am, poor, no lawn mower, and, sol.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Ah, phooey!!!! RANT

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:33 am

Bill, if your thrift stores are like the ones here, they usually have at least 1 or 2 mowers there that are crapped out for whatever reason. Also there usually seems to be a number of individuals that repair mowers to resell them. Maybe you could work out a deal with one of them. Lastly you need to work out something with someone who can do the mowing for you. Not being able to see obstacles is a dangerous proposition and the mower alone took the brunt of it this time.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:18 am

I agree with 75. Mowing is not safe if there are unseen hazards present. Stay safe.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Ditto on the above Bill. Lawn mower blade+raw metal parts=disasterours consequences some times.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:24 am

Like 75x11 said check your local thrift stores and shade tree lawnmower mechanics. don't forget places like craigslist as well and scrapyards. I saw a really nice looking riding mower at the scrapyard on Friday when I hauled a load of scrap metal. A frame for a lawnmower shouldn't be too hard to find. I see a lot more mowers with blown engines than bad frames. My riding mower was in bad shape, at least 10 years old. It was one of the green craftsman that has issues with level cutting and engine smoking. It has smoked since it was new. I also mow my MILs yard next door so I wanted a better one. I watched the local craigslist type website and saw a snapper rear engine drive like Forrest Gump had. I was able to get a really nice one made in the 90s that runs great for less than half of a new walmart special. This is in such good shape and made good I hope to use it many years if not until I get too old to mow. I told my wife I plan to find a second one of these that needs work and have it fixed. So that way I will have a spare.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:07 am

Just how blind do you think I am??? I've been mowing lawns most of my life. You know, when grass gets really long, as it did here, you'd have a hard time seeing things, also.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:04 am

I have a Briggs deck and handle I took a junk engine off of. However I'm going to put an engine off another deck on it. I could likely get one from my scrap metal dealer but it wouldn't be practical to ship it from Ohio to Florida.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:31 am

I've got a friend who helped me repair it before. He said he'd come Saturday to see if it's repairable. I'll let you know. Thanks, radio geek.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:48 pm

My neighbor has been mowing my back yard as he has a riding mower and 2 people to do it. they silently quit about 4 weeks ago. I had to mow the tall wet stuff with my electric. It did so with less trouble than the operator did.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top