General Electric model 50 TRF clock radio

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Electric model 50 TRF clock radio

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Hey Wildcat,

I checked my Beitman's on my computer and it shows the exact dimensions in which the pully system needs to be set-up. If you were to find a radio in which the tuner was damaged, you'd simply need a ruler and cut some dial cordage appropriately and "restring".

Maybe I'm looking at the schematic incorrectly, but there are (2) slugs--one appears to be purely apart of the tuner, the other slugs seems to be there to alter the effectiveness of the long-wire antenna--making it more effective at higher or lower frequencies as the tuning is changed by the owner. ?

I checked both of mine (I have them in Brown, not sure what year they are as they are still sealed up for restoration at a later time). Both have what appears to be the factory installed long wire antenna. It's a black wire, about 22 or 24 gauge, and several feet long.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 am

I have several of these and they don't work half bad when gone through concidering what they are. Yes, they are a pain to work on but the space opens up conciderably once the newer and smaller caps go in it. Thankfully I never had to restring any of mine.
Tony V

Number of posts : 582
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:45 pm

I have the specs for the length of the string. Knotting it and getting it all on is the concern I would have. I have never in my life re-strung a dial and had the exact amount specified actually work. I hope to not have to restring one of these radios. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did, considering our area. Even strong radios have a challenge receiving anything here. The tracking adjustment on the tuner is bizarre. I have a couple TRF 9 tube consoles and they work pretty well, but I still need to use a long antenna.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Now my interest is peaked, I need to find one! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:26 pm

The wife broke one of her Fiestaware dishes and the antique store that had the GE 50 also has Fiestaware. We have a trip up there scheduled. She can talk with Juanita about Fiestaware and I can ask Charlie if he still has the radio. IIRC, he had it priced at $50, which I obviously thought was too much at the time. Rolling Eyes

This radio was built before the days when there was an outlet on the radio to power a coffee pot.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 pm

The 1950 models had that outlet.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:06 pm

This has been an interesting topic. Glad you posted it. I had no idea that GE made TRFs that late. I did know there were some cheap import TRFs in that era.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 am

The neighbor lady thinks this little POS is a Hallicrafters. She has strung up an antenna outside among a bunch of oak trees. (She is gonna mess around and get lightning stuck) She comes over almost every day with a big grin on her face. She's having fun remembering her grandpa, so it was worth the effort. Personally, I'm glad to have it gone.......

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am

Long as it makes her happy. You can't ask much more from a collectible. Funny you should mention Hallicrafters. On another site a gent is working with one that uses a pulley string and slug spread tuner. Thought of your project when I saw about it.
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I have a couple Zeniths and one Silvertone that use a guillotine tuner setup. But they are not run by a string like that little GE was. That setup was just plain scary.

I did not charge the neighbor a dime to work on her radio, so she got more than she paid for. I was grateful for the experience, so it was worth it to me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top