Steam Locomotive

Go down

Steam Locomotive

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Today the steam locomotive NKP 765 made a special trip from it's home in Ft. Wayne, Indiana to Cleveland, Ohio. On it's way there it passed through Toledo and surrounding cities. I personally do not have any photos or video since I do not live near anywhere it is going. However a local Toledo news station posted about it on their facebook page and people shared their photos and video on their post and some people in a Railroad group on facebook have photos and video of it also. Everything posted is public, so everyone should be able to see. This is the news stations post: https://www.facebook.com/13abc/posts/10153437185986897?comment_id=10153437197511897&reply_comment_id=10153437717581897&offset=0&total_comments=110&notif_t=share_reply
This is the group: /www.facebook.com/groups/ohiorailroader/ (you may have to copy&paste as it's not showing as a hyperlink) Just scroll and you will see lots of photos and video of it, and other trains too. You can also search NKP 765 on youtube/google and you will find new and old videos of it.
For those who are not familar with this locomotive, it was built in 1944 at Lima Locomotive works in Lima, OH and is a Berkshire 2-8-4. It was used in freight service for many years and was retired. After retirement it sat and was finally restored and then eventually the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Socitety gained ownership of it. They use it for excursions daily during the summer months. It is the second to last built locomotive to come out of Lima and the last one built that is still operational.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Steam Locomotive

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 am

"When That Midnight choo choo leaves for Alabam, I'll be right there! I've got my fare! When I see that rusty haired conductor man, I'll grab him by the collar, then, I'll holler, Alabam! Alabam! Yeah!
And, then we'll stop the train that brings us back again, down home where we'll remain, with my honey lamb. Here I am now. I will be right there with bells, when that old conductor yells all aboard!! All aboard!! All aboard for Alabam!!!!!!!!!!"

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4529
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Here are some of its' videos..

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nkp+765&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=6CD5685815FBD3AE1D906CD5685815FBD3AE1D90
75X11

Number of posts : 4581
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:28 pm

This old beast has been sitting for decades at the entrance of Central City Park in Macon.  It was fully restored just before it was left to rot back in the 80's.  About a year ago, they covered the boiler with a tarp to help prevent further rust.  There are plans to do another restoration and bring it back on line to be used as an excursion train.  I'd love to see it back on the rails.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

That unit looks like it is missing the sheet metal that covers the rear of the boiler. I'd love to see that one running up the north south line into Jonesboro.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:00 pm

The works.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lima+locomotive+works&qpvt=lima+locomotive+works&qpvt=lima+locomotive+works&FORM=IGRE
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm

From what I've been told (by a railroad employee in the know), it doesn't need much to get it rail worthy again. A fresh coat of paint, new seals, bearings and such.

75, have you been down to Cordele and ridden the Sam's short line? We did it a few years ago & had a good time. I'd like to go again at Christmas, they do a special event for the holidays.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks, I'll have to look it up!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Sam's doesn't have a steam engine, but they do have restored passenger cars. Spend the extra for the first class tickets, it's a much nicer experience. If there are little ones in your life, they bring in Thomas The Tank Engine once a year.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Benjamin, I see you are located in Lima Ohio. This is the place where most of the steam engines for the C&O Railroad were built.

There is a lot of red tape to go through to get an old steam engine up and running. You have to have a licensed high pressure boiler technician repair and inspect the boiler. Another big obstacle will be permission to run on the rails. These old engines are very hard on the rails.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:10 am

We used to see a lot of C&O, New York Central and Pennsylvania R.R. trains run through our town. The P.R.R. set our town up.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:05 am

And, I used to complain at all the diesel locomotives that came by at ten mph loaded with cars stopping traffic forever..........
I Have the entire series of Petticoat junction. They used a privately owned wood burning train on that series. It was an authentic train owned by a private collector.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:57 am

It was.  It was given to the California parks department and has been fully restored...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmS8gCnqRF8
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for all the wonderful footage of trains.
I truly enjoyed it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:08 am

I had no clue I had this many replies, as I only got one email when Bill first replied. Yeah, we built LOTS of Steam and a few Diesel Locomotives, mostly switchers from what I've been told. I am pretty certain ALL Steam Loco's have to be fully rebuilt every 15 years, however I'm not 100% on that. We still have at least 2 other Steam Locomotives out and about running, but one just went down for a rebuild. We have the Perre Marquette 1225 in Michigan and the Southern Pacific 4449, I believe out West. The 4449 is getting rebuilt currently. The very last Steam Locomotive to come out of here was the 779, it is sitting at a park here on static display.
The sad thing is 765 will never get to come back to Lima since 95% of the rails belong to CSX. As they do not allow Steam on their railroad. Although the funny thing is Steam used to run on the CSX main tracks years ago when it was B&O and when Norfolk Southen was Nickel Plate since the rails from the NS yard have to go on CSX to get to the other section of NS rails. We do have the I&O but those rails are in no condition for a big Steam Locomotive.
We built two types of Steam Locomotives here, The Berkshire and the Shay. I believe we did the Shay first. They were made for working super heavy loads. The one left here worked in a rock quary hauling limestone and similar. That sits inside our museum on display. The Shay is ugly compared to a Berkshire but both are very well built Locomotives. I'm not certain what 765 and 779 did but i'm sure it was not an easy task. Lima has quite a history but now you would barely know we built Steam Locomotives here. Most people probably don't even know we build tanks here currently.

Last edited by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit of information.)
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:24 am

If you like trains and ever get to Chattanooga go see the Tennessee Valley Railroad museum. Not only do they have restored locomotives but they restore them as well. I have been through their repair building and its well worth seeing.
Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum

willy3486

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 am

Neat. I wish I could go................

Admin
Admin