Repairing newer fans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repairing newer fans

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 pm

I just grabbed a nice looking pedestal stool fan off my neighbors curb and it doesn't turn on. I've tinkered with non working fans in the past with no success but I'd really like to see if I could get this one operational. I know they are simple motors and they have a small capacitor on them and usually it is not bad. So besides a bad control or bad motor, what else are likely issues to cause a fan to stop working? I know most are cheaply made but they are becoming expensive now days. A simple 3 speed box fan will run you almost 20.00 now and a nice pedestal fan will run you 30.00 and up.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Repairing newer fans

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:33 pm

I would start with a voltmeter and make the usual checks.

If your fixing it for the challenge have fun, but if your doing if for the economy I don't see it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Well, I ohmed out the switch and voltage checked it. It was operational and had voltage. I even bypassed it with a jumper and screws since it's push button(just to be certain). Still did not power on. So I unplugged it and cut the capacitor wires to check that, it checked within tolenance (I have a cap setting on my meter). Then I pulled the motor apart and inspected the windings and control wires and they were all just fine. The windings looked perfect and the shaft spun freely. I looked for a thermal fuse like i seen online earlier, but did not see one. It did not even smell burnt. I don't know what else there is to check on it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Check the windings, you may find one open!

What about the slip rings?

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:15 pm

I've seen little thermal circuit breakers secreted within fan motors also. You may have one popped.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 pm

What make is the fan?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm

I have no clue of the make of it right now. I'll look tomorrow, but the fan does not look to even be 2 or 3 years old, if that. I looked for hidden things in the windings and there was nothing but copper wire. I had it out in my hand. As it was not very difficult to remove.
I couldn't see one broken wire in the windings. Not sure about the slip rings, as I am not familar with what they are. If I can't fix it, then so be it but if I can't it will eventually be scrapped when prices go back up.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:10 am

If there is no brand on it, here are a few examples. They are called hassock fans. I don't know why.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hassock%20fans&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=hassock%20fans&sc=8-12&sp=-1&sk=
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 am

It was on the curb for a reason.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Yeah, it was but I figured I'd try to figure out what the reason it was. My guess is the motor was shot and I just couldn't tell by looking at it. Which means I was not successful so it will be scrapped eventually. ALL metals are super low right now and was informed some are going to continue to go down.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 pm

I have a little plastic fan I got in a box of junk at an auction. It did not work when I got it. It had a bad switch. I jumpered the terminals so it would work on high only. Off and high are your choices. It was cute and I hated to junk it, so I see your motivation. Sorry your efforts were unsuccessful.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:57 pm

I had one of those fans, a Fresh'nd Aire, I think. The motor was shot and I found another fan with the same sice motor driving the same size blade and traded out the motors. I used it for 5years til I gave it away.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm

I have a Fresh'nd Aire fan that is all chrome. It has a huge motor on it, made by GE IIRC. It may be older than the one you referenced, though.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I think WC is right that some motors have a cut off in the winding.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:49 pm

This fan was all copper wire for the windings. It is a small motor and I pulled it right out and looked at it. It's just a cheap Chinese made piece of junk. I'll eventually get me some older fans that will last a long time.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top