Way off topic, snapper mower

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Way off topic, snapper mower

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 am

I know its way off topic but I wonder if anyone here has ever had a snapper rear engine mower? I picked up one like this one
snapper mower

I got it from a guy that tinkers with mowers on the side. I really like it but it has a couple of small issues. One I found out was the belt seems to be too long. It has a 73 inch on it like it is suppose to and I have adjusted it out like it says to. This is the one with shims so it needs a little over 1 inch of shims. So one thing I plan to do is look for a belt a couple of inches shorter. The other issue is sometimes it will "chatter" when cutting high grass. If you are not cutting you never hear the chatter. I took off the belt cover and the idler pulley seems to have a little wobble in it. It wobbles up and down a little less than a pencil lead width. It sounds similar to the chatter a idler pulley on a car or a alternator bearing going out sounds like.

If you have ever had one of these and it chattered while cutting grass did you replace the pulley and did it fix the chatter?  So far even with this small issue I think I am really going to like it. I got tired of spending half my time mowing fixing the mower I had. I heard good things about these mowers so I thought I would try it out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Way off topic, snapper mower

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 am

I mowed cemeteries with two new Snapper Comets in the 1970's. I believe they had 6 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engines on them. I never had a lick of trouble with either of them. I ran them five years and sold them for almost what I gave for them new. They have a friction drive setup that was fairly fragile, but I never pulled anything with one, so never had a problem. I remember that they are fairly finicky on parts. You had to have the right stuff. Belts and blades are all I really had to buy for mine.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 am

I loved have a couple of those mowers. Mine was the Comet 30.  The chatter usually comes from the "tire" on the speed changing wheel being worn.  It it's not worn it will also "chatter"  when it (the "tire") gets wet.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 am

The mower only chatters when it is cutting. It doesn't do it constantly just enough times to be annoying. It has a new speed changing wheel on it. When it is just running or driving there is no issues. Its just when it is cutting and hits higher grass. Since the last time I mowed it has rained a lot and the grass is about twice as high as it usually is.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:11 am

If you are having wobble at the pulley then you need to replace the spindle shaft bearing.(s)

I have a 1977 and a 2001 comet.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:05 pm

The one that is chattering and has wobble is the idler pulley. The main pulley that has the blade has no play in the bearings at all.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 pm

It might be a good investment to replace that bearing.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:10 pm

I got all that replaced this afternoon. I went by and got the parts and a extra belt. I mowed about 30 minutes and it did great. I have wanted one of these for years but never found one. I seriously got to looking for a good used one as my craftsman needs a ton of work and the most I could hope to get new is a low end riding mower. After having to get a newer vehicle and other bills a new one was going to hit hard. But this one is great and should last a while. I have seen you can get a new motor made just for it. Down the road I probably will put a new one on it.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:38 pm

That's great, the mower should last a long while. No need suffering that bearing and belt problem.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top