O.K. Give me the bad news...............

Go down

O.K. Give me the bad news...............

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:43 pm

As some of you know, the picture tube in my old Japanese stereo tv is dying.
So, I've been used tv haunting. Don't like flat screen.
Found, and, bought a used 27" stereo Insignia tv today for thirty bucks, plus, tax.
Yah, I know.. Made in China..
So, what's the bad news?????

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4529
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: O.K. Give me the bad news...............

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Remember picture tube "Rejuvenation"?
terrydec

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 pm

My old rejuvenator won't rejuvenate this modern tube.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Of course not- It was used in the days when the service man came out with a tube caddy.  Didn't it 'jolt' the tube to refresh the phosphor coating on the tube when it got dim.  However it was a bandaid and a new picture tube was in the near future.  This was back when TV's cost as much as a used car and had 20 tubes.

How many remember going to the store with your dad and a sack full of TV tubes to be tested?  Remember the "Pin straightener"?
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:03 pm

NO. Not the phosphor. It gave a jolt to the gun. In particular, the cathode.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Right.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm

There should be no problem finding another good CRT television set. Nobody wants them and they are literally given away every day. I still use and prefer CRT sets, but you and I are in the minority these days. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 pm

I have a 27" in the living room and a 25" in the bedroom, Both free on Craigslist
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 pm

I dare you to find them free here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Bill, flat screen TVs are really cheap, OK, kill me, or throw me off the forum! I'm glad people like you wish to maintain these sets but I will stick with old radios and flat screen TVs. Despite the complaints they may be only good for maybe 5 years due to crappy components, they give great pictures and when dead, you toss them and buy a new one. They give great pictures! No tube TVs for me, I have fixed enough in my youth and don't want to see any more.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I wish our places were closer in distance, Bill.  CRT sets are a dime a dozen around here.  I was at an auction this morning and a Sanyo 32" CRT set with remote sold for $2.  That is kind of a shame.  Most end up in the landfill or recycled.  Most are still working great.  Next to "Cash For Clunkers" digital TV was the biggest waste of perfectly good equipment in history.  I have both and the only advantage I see to flat panels is that the screens are typically larger.  The sound is lousy, you need to be a computer guru to run one, and their long-term reliability is still in question.  No way will a flat panel set run 25 years like my old CRT sets do.  I like to keep stuff forever.  I don't like buying new just for the sake of having something new.  If something works satisfactorily to me, I could care less how old it is.  We enjoy our flat panel set, but like the older ones, too.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Did I forget to mention mine are CRT'? I also get over the air signal so my HD is crisp and sharp. And free!
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:30 pm

I think Bill prefers CRT sets because he can see them better. With the way they are beginning to dry up, this might be a good time to lay aside one or two for the future.
75X11

Number of posts : 4581
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I have a 32" flat screen and surround in the living room.  I took the speakers out of two consoles on each side and put the front speakers in there.  That room is for nothing but watching movies.  I have a 27" with a digital tuner in the bedroom.  That's the one I watch the most.  I also have a 13" with a digital converter in the kitchen.

Oh yeah, I also have a 10" DVD player next to the bed with a decent computer sound system.  That's really the one I watch the most.   Set it up on the bed, fluff the pillows and it looks like a 32".  I love it.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 pm

WC, yes the sound is crappy on large flat screens but a sound bar takes care of that. Will they last 25 years, absolutely not. Neither will a tube TV, I found that close to a year and there was a tube or something that needed replacement. There was a heck of a business back in the days repairing them because they were unreliable but on the plus side, fairly easy to repair. Old radios are a whole different situation as you know, once restored or when new they ran a long time, seldom tube problems. The very HV in tube TVs offered lots of opportunities for failure.
The fact that many of you can bring those old beasts back to living is great and I appreciate it just for the history. Some talented people are actually repairing flat screens, typically cheap bad caps. Heck, I can't even figure out how to get the backs off!
Just Please don't tell me how "reliable" old tube TVs are!
Best Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Not once have you heard me say tube type TV's are reliable. But, in most cases, they ARE repairable!!!
Let me give you a little FYI. In two manufacturers, RCA and, Zenith, they both learned very early on how to get the best performance possible. Sock it to the tubes with higher than spec voltages. That got better performance with less tubes. It didn't matter that it made the sets eat the tubes even faster.
Compannies like Admiral, in early days new how to beat the system, starting with the front end. The tuner. They used a high quality tuner nin them so they had to use less tubes, with lower voltages, so, they ate less tubes. Too bad they eventually went the cheap way, and, quality crashed...
Philco had it made in the sun with TV's until the invented the predicta. The predicta destroyed their reputation permanently.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:41 pm

And, by the way. My eyes don't work well with flat screen, and, obviously, I can't repair them.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

In WA, where I lived before, the "free" TVs tended to be the gigantic DLP sets or the tiny 12" B&W sets. People started clicking to the fact that collectors were starting to claim the more "normal" console sets. Really collectible sets were going for moon money.

But yes, bargains could still be found at garage sales... especially those of women whose husbands had recently offended them or passed away. Guy stuff like TV sets were often seen on the curb with "FREE" signs taped to them.

I haven't really done much looking here in TX, but I suspect the only freebies here will be the 52" DLP type sets.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Here they have one thrift store chain that accepts, cleans up and sells CRT's. they are only located in GA, AL and LA. Sorry Bill, I tried.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Nothing wrong with DLP sets, as long as they are working. Sure you might have to replace the bulb every so often but besides that they aren't bad looking TV's. If I could get my hands on a nice DLP for free or super cheap I'd take it. LCD's are nice but one minor mistake or fall and it could be history. I still own CRT's and will continue to keep them as a back up if I ever get an LCD. The only drawback to a CRT is if you have cable or possible even satellite they are phasing out SD channels and making all of them HD. I have Time Warner and they completely phased out SD channels. So they now squeeze a 16:9 signal into a 4:3 format when you view on a CRT, that means it is almost impossible to see the edges of the show.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 am

Well, like it, or, not, I have the set up, and, running. new batteries for remote, and, it works. A little touchy on the on- off button on remote, but, otherwise, fine. Minor adjustments, and, the set's got decent color, and, black and, white is totally grey, as it should be.
Reception on antenna isn't bad. Not great fidelity, but, listenable.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:16 pm

I recently gifted of a 50" DLP set to a friend.  Like many it suffered from the common failure of one or many of the little mirrors on a chip that will freeze in place.  It started with a couple pixels on the screen and went up to a bunch.  Changing the chip is not difficult and not overly expensive.  That chip appears to be the weak aspect of DLP TVs.  I never had a bulb problem and ran the set for 10 years.  It was a great idea for the time in providing a large viewing screen and nice picture.  Now the flat screens have replaced them.  At least you can still get the chip which to me was an amazing invention.  The web site "gojimmy" offers the chip and instructions for installation.
Jerry

Edit: Sorry the web site is "shopjimmy"

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong info)

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Bill, you might try at the thrift stores for another remote. They usually have baskets full.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down