New TV...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New TV...

Post by kb4yrc on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new idiot box. My 20 year old Sony CRT gave up the ghost ! What brand do youall recomend? I'm leaning toward another Sony, or Panosonic. Something in the 32 inch range . ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New TV...

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:33 pm

I bought the most vivid and bright picture after looking for a long time. A Samsung smart tv in the 32 inch size. It was a good deal at Costco. It has on board speakers and is wifi ready.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Vizio, Samsung, LG and Sony all make nice TV's. Vizio is likely going to be the cheapest but are good quality TV's. I have a friend that has owned 2 of them for many years with no issues. If you are used to a 32" CRT, a 32" LCD may look and seem a bit small compared to the CRT. You may want to consider a 37" LCD. Most are not much more than a 32", you may even find one in the same price range as a 32". Also one that is 720p only will be considerbly cheaper than one that can do 1080i also and also make sure you choose one that has good sound quality, lots of them have low quality sound and low sound in general.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 pm

That reminds me, my Samsung also is 1080p. Even the good quality black and white films on TCM look has the resolution and quality of a glossy print. Look at the different sets before you buy.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Have you decided yet?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 pm

We have a 55" RCA in AZ.  I know, RCA is supposed to be Chinese junk, and may be.  We have had good service from ours.  If you are interested in good sound, I recommend either a sound bar or a surround system of some kind.  The internal speakers on my flat panel sets are not the best.  Good luck.

We also have a 1971 RCA XL-100, and 1987 RCA 13" cheapie, a RCA 32" Home Theater console from 1992 and an RCA 36" Home Theater console from 1996 that are our daily drivers here.  These were all supposed to be "cheap junk" when we bought them.  The oldest one has run 44 years.  I wonder how long a "good" one would last?

I work part time for a "major retailer" and my experience thru work has been that Element, Vizio in any size and RCA and Emerson in smaller sizes, under 40 inch, have proven pretty good. We get lots of returns on Sony and Samsung. Go figure. Video games are hard on TV's. I would say that if you avoid such contraptions, you might have pretty good luck with almost any brand.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm really surprised Sony and Samsung TV's are being returned often. Both make great electronics of other types. I know Sony used to make great audio equipment and good quality video equipment and Samsung makes the top rated cell phone and I believe they even make IC's for the Apple phones.
My daily driver TV is a Sharp 32" from 2002 and the living room TV is a Phillips Tru Flat 32" from 2004 or 2005, likely one of the last models for a CRT. Both of them are ran 24/7 and have been for a few years. Both have good color and sound, although I don't use the sound on mine often since I use a receiver for sound.
We also have a Sony 27" from 1997, it's OK, the color isn't the sharpest or greatest on it. My oldest TV is a Zenith 19" it's from the early '80's as it still has the dials on the front and isn't cable ready. It was always a great TV and had a very good tuner in it. The picture was always bright and sharp with good color. It hasn't been used in a few years since the 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformers are a bit pricey and I never remember to buy one when I get stuff off eBay.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 am

My guess is that the biggest reason for returning a TV is that there have been too many extra contraptions connected to it, many times improperly, hastening the TV's early demise.

My old XL-100 is connected to a VCR. I use the tuner in the VCR to connect to satellite. The picture on that 44 year old TV is amazing. It has no stereo, no remote, and you have to actually get up to make adjustments. It has the best sound I have ever had in a TV with its four speakers.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:45 am

My guess is that Sony and Samsung have succumbed to market forces, and are being forced to shave cost out of their products in order to remain profitable.  All too often this translates into reduced quality and increased customer dissatisfaction.  Even top tier manufacturers fall prey to stockholder demands for more profits.

A couple of years ago my wife and I bought a new washing machine.  Because Samsung had developed a good reputation we bought one of their mid-tier washers.  She was never so dissatisfied with a washer as she was with that one.  There was nothing "wrong" with it... it just didn't get clothes very clean and it had a VERY annoying little tune it played when the wash cycle was over.  

When we moved into the apartment we are in now, she started singing the praises of the cheap-o GE washing machine in the apartment.  The big difference?  It has an agitator, it allows HER to select the water level (not some built in sensor), and the machine gets clothes cleaner in 40 minutes than the Samsung did in 60 minutes.

So maybe it is all the whiz-bang gadgetry that makes Samsung TVs less reliable.  Or maybe it's just indicative that Samsung is now having to be more competitive with upstarts like Changhong and Insignia that offer really low-end product.  In either case, you need more than a brand name to discern quality these days.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:18 am

The way TVs and everything else is made today its a crapshoot at best. We picked up Magnavox at sams a few years ago and it has been a good set. We got it cheap as it was on sale. I was leary at first as Magnavox sets from the 90s were from my experience nothing but junk. Before that we bought a Vizio that is still working in the basement.

Although I don't own one I like is LG items. The old company called Goldstar hit hard times financially so as a tradition in their culture they added Lucky to the name for good luck. It must have worked because they shortened it to LG and they seem to have done well. I work on computers and a lot of the laptop displays out there are made by them. I see the LG name on displays of many name brand computers. If I am not mistaken they also bought out what use to be Zenith. I had great luck with Zeniths sets, even better than RCA made sets.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 am

I saw a Zenith flat panel the other day.  It was in the waiting room at the hospital.  Most of the TV sets in hospital rooms in our local hospital are Zenith CRT sets.

Greg's point is well taken. Price point plays a part, certainly. Some people could destroy an anvil with a feather duster. Especially some of the knuckle-draggers around here whose only job is to play video games all day. 

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum