String trimmer spool bearings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

String trimmer spool bearings?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:55 pm

I have a Ryobi 31 cc String trimmer from 2002 that uses EZ-LINK shafts. I bought it 2 years ago at the pawn shop and ever since I had it, it has sounded like the spool bearings were always a bit sluggish and has always had like a rubbing sound while spinning. It would also start spinning as soon as it was running without revving it up and would keep spinning after it was shut off for a few seconds. Today I was just using it and all was "normal" until after knocking down some high grass it suddenly stopped spinning. I shut it off and remove my Pivotrim spool(the original was replaced when I bought it) and it would spin but when I put it back on it wouldn't spin unless I helped it and only at low RPM. So knowing the background of it, does it sound like bearings that went bad or does it sound like another issue? If it is the bearings, can it be fixed easily? Maybe time for a new trimmer??
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: String trimmer spool bearings?

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Try this place. They have exploded diagrams and stock parts for most models.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:36 pm

I don't have a Ryobi brand but I do have a weedeater brand. I worked on mine and put a different cutting head on it yesterday. It sounds like the way mine did. the way mine is it has a spiral coil shaft that has the ends squared off. That goes into a tube that clamps into the motor case. The issue I was having with mine was that the threads were stripped that old the string head on with. I had some junk ones I used. I put it in and it would spin but then stop. I looked inside the motor housing and the tube. I saw that on the tube the notch for the spline was cut on the top and the motor had the spline on the bottom inside the hole. To fix it I cut a new notch on the bottom. I then was able to slide it down more.

The main thing is the tube has to slide down and the 4 sided areas of the cable has to be inside the area inside the motor and the head. If it is not in it good but barely in the head will spin but then under pressure of cutting will pop out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:04 pm

75, they have the part I need but it is 84.07. For that price I can get another good used trimmer. I took the trimmer head off and opened it up. It is a 2 piece design inside that connect with gears. The splines on the gears are worn out. The drive cable that goes from the engine to the trimmer head is fine. I'm probably just going to eventually find another good used trimmer, but not as old as this one was. When I bought it I didn't realize it was so old.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:44 pm

You might go on Ebay and look up another EZ link head. There are usually a few available new and used. I use an EZ link trimmer with an electric motor.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:04 am

I just looked, and there are only 1 or 2 new ones listed at 70.00 each. I could probably have it rebuilt as we have a place here that does that kind of stuff but it would probably cost even more to get that done. I could also try the 2 local lawn mower repair shops, but I have feeling they probably won't have that part used.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top