Thrift store finds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thrift store finds

Post by willy3486 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:34 pm

It has been a busy last few weeks.  After I got my late 50s Zenith record player going last year I got into looking for old records. In the last couple of weeks I probably have found 100 or more. I have always liked the big band stuff so it was only natural to get into the easy listening music of the 50s and 60s. I also got into jazz. This year for vacation the wife and I decided to stay home but go out and hit thrift stores. We went to one a couple of weekends ago just before I went on vactation. I hit the record jackpot. They had LPs for 25 cents each. I was able to get 40 records.

We went to one city and hit a Thrift store,book store and a antique mall. That was the first day I was off. Then this past Monday we went to a city just past Lynchburg TN. You may have heard of that place or at least a person famous there and the product it is known for. My wife went to a fabric store and I took a walk around town for a while. Then we came back towards home and stopped at two Goodwills. Then on Wednesday we went to another area and went to two Goodwills and a antique store.

Here are a few of the items I picked up.
Sony cassette player, I wanted one to replace the one I have.
Sound design am/fm 8 track for 6 bucks. I may use this out in my shop or my inside workshop.
3 packages of 45s , there were probably 20 or more 45s in each bag. 99 cents a bag and there are some nice records for my jukeboxes.
2 albums of Jonah Jones. I will take chances on LPs to see if I like them. I picked up one his a while back and really got into him.
A Chet Akins at home LP
A few comedy albums, Bob Newhart,Brother Dave Gardener,
Big Band albums
Percy Faith albums
A few soundtracks such as the Glen Miller story with Jimmy Stewart, Oklahoma.
A couple of a relatives records. Shelly West was Dotties daughter and Dottie was my Dads cousin.
I also found a original Judy in Disguise by John Fred and his playboy band. I have been looking for one of these since the 80s to go along with the original Gold Record of this song I have.
I also bought roughly 10 to 15 records that were 78s. I bought two or three sets of them in record holders. There were some well known songs in these. Sadly there is one Mills brothers record that is cracked. Its all together so I may super glue it to see if it will hold together to play.

I think I did fairly well. The first group I got I paid 10 bucks for 40 records.
I bought the 45s in 3 bags for 99 cents each bag with the exception of the Judy in Diguise that was a buck.
The 78s I think mostly were in the record books. . These books were in the 5 to 6 bucks range each
the Soundesign was 6 bucks and the Sony was 10 bucks. It looked new.
I also bought a lot of records at one antique store for a quarter each.  
With the exception of a Mills brothers,3 bucks I think, a couple of Linda Rhonstat for a couple bucks each , and a Gary Lewis LP about 3 bucks I bought to go along with the 45 and gold record I never paid more than 99 cents for a lp.

With all the stuff I got I don't think I spent more than 150 bucks. My plans are to set me up a record player to use in my hobby room with a small realistic amp and the tape player as well. It has outputs I plan to put into a computer to make files of my records. I want play the records and save them to the computer while I am fixing stuff in the winter. Then I will use a program to clean up and cut each song into a seperate file. So that way I can turn them into CDs I can listen to while driving.

All in all I had a good time this vacation. Sadly its back to work on Monday.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrift store finds

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:17 am

Sounds pretty good. The pickings are mighty slim at our area thrift stores. You can usually only find broken CD players, broken Cable and dish TV converters and broken printers and all in ones.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 am

I wish I had known you needed a Sony cassette player. I have one in the original packaging. I don't think it has ever been used.

The only records in thrift stores around here are Christmas albums by the semi load and old rock and roll records. KISS, ZZ Top and that. You did well, Willy.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 am

75X11 wrote:Sounds pretty good.  The pickings are mighty slim at our area thrift stores.  You can usually only find broken CD players, broken Cable and dish TV converters and broken printers and all in ones.

Thrift stores in my area are hit or miss, you never know what you will find. But any more I can't find anything at yard sales in my area. The closest goodwill to my house I hardly ever go in. Its overpriced and usually never has anything. I think I have bought one item. There was a new thrift store open in that area and that is where I got 40 records for 10 bucks. There are a couple close to Nashville that are the best. One is across the road from a huge area with all kinds of stores. They get a lot of new clothes because of it. That area is also a very affluent area. I got a set of infinity speakers for 14 bucks that were 1000 when new. A 30 dollar refoam kit and they were good as new. The big reason I think I got such good deals is because of going to so many places. We would hit 4 to 7 stores a day on 3 different days. I have cut back on tube radios as I have so many to fix and I usually just get them at the radio meets. If you see tube stuff at a goodwill its usually 10 to 20 times actual value. Its old, antique and priceless, so lets mark it high seems to be the attitude.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I wish I had known you needed a Sony cassette player.  I have one in the original packaging.  I don't think it has ever been used.

The only records in thrift stores around here are Christmas albums by the semi load and old rock and roll records. KISS, ZZ Top and that.  You did well, Willy.  

WC

No problem. I just got it because I ran across it. Shipping to here would have probably ran more than this one. I thought if I ever ran across a nice tape player I would get it. As far as records goes here most of what I see are ones that look like a child has tried to recreate a Picasso on it using a straight pin. How they get so scratched is beyond me. In goodwills here I don't see a lot of KISS,ZZtop and stuff like that. I think what is going on is a lot of folks who bought the 40s to 50s stuff are passing away and now their relatives are donating a lot to thrift stores to get it gone. The big enjoyment of this is the hunt.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top