Bob Fisher

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bob Fisher

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 pm

My wife went to an auction this morning by herself (I had to work) and came home with a box of CD's. She is in them a whole $4. Several old country CD's, the usual big band collection, Boxcar Willie, Bob Wills, that kind of thing. There is a CD that I found interesting. "Good Music for Hard Times" by Bob Fisher and the Coffee Club Orchestra. Kind of a mix of 1920's sounding material, mixed in with Dixieland and who knows what else. Hard to describe, really. One could envision a group of flappers climbing out of their Packard, tommy gun in tow, for a night out on the town. This particular CD was recorded in 1992. Apparently, Bob Fisher is musical director of "American Radio Company." It seems that maybe I have heard 75X11 mention this program on radio. Very interesting CD.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Bob Fisher

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 am

I'd not heard of it. Apparently it was connected with Garrison Keillor. He and his program I would not touch with someone elses' 10 foot pole. The reason is a subject not discussed on this site.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:06 am

Garrison Keillor wrote the liner notes for the CD. I'm sorry if this was a taboo subject. I didn't know......

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:48 am

It isn't. Write on about it. Fisher has a few albums and projects out. You can find write ups about the group on Bing.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 am

Gee. I didn't know Garrison Keelor was taboo... I used to listen to him on radio.
I liked his fake commercials.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 am

I said I don't listen to him. That was all. Everyone resume normal programming. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:45 am

I sure like this CD. I reckon ignorance is bliss, in my case. I had heard the name Garrison Keillor, but know nothing about him, nor do I remember hearing his voice.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am

Give it a good writeup. You do good work sharing your finds with the other lovers of recorded music on the site. It's just another touch of class and is informative.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Finding recordings that I have never heard of is fun for the frau and myself. We have a lot of music and finding something different is a good thing.

The Coffee Club Orchestra reminds me a little of the New Red Onion Jazz Babies out of Kansas City. The Jazz Babies are more Dixieland jazz than the Coffee Club is. I'm not sure how I would classify the Coffee Club Orchestra. They play saxaphones so they sound "old" like they were played in the 1920's. The giveaway that their material is fairly recent is the electric bass guitar they use. And the "DDD" coding on the CD which indicates that this CD was recorded, edited and printed in digital. There are 21 selections on the CD with nary a dud in the bunch in my opinion. I like "Tishomingo Blues" which gives credit to Garrison Keillor as vocalist. "Lady of The Nile", "Stampede", "Confessin' That I Love You" would all be standouts. This CD is on the Angel record label, a division of EMI Records, LTD, Hayes, Middlesex England from 1992. So this would be the English version of Capitol/EMI records, which may be considered a major record label. Worth giving a listen to should you run across it.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top