Cat Scratch with swollen finger

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cat Scratch with swollen finger

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 pm

I had my female cat scratch the crap out of me the other night since a friend had to bring their dog down here. She was a stray that showed up knocked up a few months ago. She is usually friendly, but hates dogs. She's took a few swipes at my dog in the past, and my dog doesn't mind cats at all. Now my pointer finger is swollen and doesn't seem to want to reduce with ice and a warm compress. Not certain if I should keep trying to reduce the swelling or get it looked at. I have no symptoms of cat scratch fever, my finger just hurts like hell. Just thought I'd get some input from here.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Cat Scratch with swollen finger

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Get it looked at. Now. There is too much risk in leaving it go. My sister had to spend a night at the hospital after doing so. A cat is one of those animals that looks and acts neat but unfortunately is not.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 pm

There has never been a point in my life when I haven't had a cat in my life. Many were strays and rescues. Needless to say, I've had my fair share of kitty induced scars, and I've learned a thing or two about treating them. There's no telling what kind of germs could be hanging around on those claws. Cats are known to carry ringworm (which is a fungus) as well as various nasty bacteria. Clean your wounds with peroxide & alcohol. If it doesn't look better soon, see a doctor. If you ever get bitten by a cat, go to the doctor as soon as possible. Bacteria gets deep into the skin & the skin closes up and traps it in there, causing a VERY painful infection. Cipro or Augminton are the best antibiotics to treat a cat bite.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:15 pm

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:47 am

No joking. Go to your doctor fast. You have some serious infection, and, will likely need anti biotics. It won't be fun, but, the flip can be a lot more serious. Can you say Rabies???

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I went at 10 pm last night, shortly after I posted this. Was in the E.R until about 2:30 am. Lots of it was wait time but it is good I went. The tendon in my finger is infected. So I have antibiotics and pain medication. Had a round of drip antibiotics to get me started and they are slowly starting to help. I'll be starting my oral antibiotics this afternoon.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm so glad you got it treated. Those things are scary and people don't take them seriously.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Never take signs of an infection lightly, especially from an animal injury. You were smart to go to the ER.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:59 pm

I was hoping it wasn't nothing serious, but when it didn't improve on its own I knew something wasn't right. My finger is improving slowly, I can click my mouse and type with it now but sure couldn't the past two days.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:51 am

It is good that you are on the mend.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:17 am

Thats the way cats are. They try their best to do you in. If I get scratched or something I usually clean it then with Hydrogen peroxide and then wash it with alcohol. I rarely get any infections. Cats are demons in fur coats. They play mind games, don't believe me? There is a new TV show on about these folks who get cats out of trees. I have cut many of a tree down and I have never found a dead cat skeleton in the trees limbs.

I have come to the conclusion that cats are nothing more than Satans Furballs. I tell them that often. Mine are useless, they won't work,I.E. kill mice in my workshop. I have had two big rats that I found dead in my shop. I have trapoed many mice as well. They won't do the work they need to do and all they want to do is lay around at my place and wait for me to feed them, they sound like some of my relatives. My wife and I have decided when these worthless flesh bags filled with cat chow go to the great beyond we won't be getting any more.

Seriously though I wouldn't do anything to harm my cats but after these are gone no more cats. Too much trouble to take care of. I have too many relatives with the same personality to have to deal with.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:06 am

Well, it's healing up and the swelling has reduced to minimal. I almost have full movement back in it. It's still sore, and I imagine it will be for a little while. They put me on an antibiotic call Z-pack, which are 250 mg and you take them for only 5 days but are supposed to stay in your system for an additional 6-10 days. They also put me on a good pain pill, but I haven't used but one. I'm not the type to take pain medication unless I absolutely need it. I also got 3 nice bruises from the IV and blood drawn twice, the largest bruise was one from the needle that was in the shortest amount of time.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 am

That is good news.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 am

It's good you are better.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:35 am

Welcome back. I'm glad you are better...............
Antibiotics are no fun, I know. I've had enough of them. I get quite sick from them..........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 pm

Well after about 11 days, my wounds are almost healed up. I still have a little swelling and a bit of pain in my finger but am able to use it for the most part and fully bend it at both joints. So it's still healing but much much better than it was. I imagine it will take a little more time to fully heal, which is fine by me.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:42 am

I have taken the Z-pack for an inner ear infection a few years ago.
The generic name for it is azithromycin.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top