How do you guys keep your bench neat?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How do you guys keep your bench neat?

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

I know, your all laughing! Mad   I need to bring out a few more tools but all the test equipment I need is hidden.  The radio shown on the bench is a Crosley loaned to me to do a cap and carb from a friend in AZ.  The bench worked well.  The shelving up above will hold some of my few table top radios when I bring them out to CA from AZ.  It is an eco shop and will keep me from storing a lot of stuff (like in AZ) that I don't need.  A challenge for a radio shop in a small bedroom with both the wife's and my computer station and trying to look neat (which I'm not).
Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm not laughing, my bench is a heavy 4'X 2-1/2' folding table and my parts and tool storage are multi drawer plastic units that can be and were gotten at Big Lots. I store my radios in plastic bins with snap on lids that keep them dry and clean even if I need to store them in the attic. That's what I meant, Jerry by saying that when you work with less space you have to think more. Very Happy You have a regular workshop there.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:34 pm

I've been thinking about setting up one or two of these to brighten things up, too.  

http://www.sciplus.com/p/120VAC-18-INCH-LED-FIXTURE_56172
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:23 pm

I admire your ability to keep your workplace neat. That ability is not in my genes, I reckon. The frau and I have been talking about downsizing, and I have been somewhat doing that lately. It is not gonna happen. I will downsize when I'm dead. I have two friends who have downsized in the last three years or so, and both are regretting doing it. I believe it depends upon how you feel, whether or not you are able to manage everything. Jerry, I'm glad it is working out well for you.

Willy nailed it. Being rich has nothing to do with money. Still being on the right side of the grass is a blessing I count every day.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:55 pm

75, I do need a lot more light over the little work station. When renovating the condo I didn't think a lot about lighting over the radio work station and well it sucks. We are thinking about having the contractor come out and adding a couple pot lights on the ceiling but perhaps one or two of those mounted on the pegboard might work. Have you tried them? No idea how much light they put out and of course RF? Cheap enough to give them a try.
WC, downsizing after you are going to the great radio in the sky, puts a lot of pressure to the frau. My downsizing which is a lot of stuff, not all radio is just to get back to what we really need and to get the frau closer to where she is comfortable to live closer to the kids. I will have to get rid of a lot of stuff to downsize over the next couple of years. We really don't need two houses and I'm getting tired of going back and forth. No room but may be able to work a small wood finishing area if I pull the car out of the garage!
Best , Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:03 pm

I've not tried those specific ones, but I do use other led lights in the house and have not had any noise problems yet. The thing I like about them is the brilliant white light they put out with not much heat, which allows for many areas to install.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:31 pm

You make good points, Jerry. That will give me ideas when the time comes. It's coming. I'm being hard-headed, I know.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:33 am

75, I may try a couple of those and thanks for the link.
WC, your still a young puppy but do have to think about getting older!
Best to all, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 pm

As rare as a solar eclipse........

Smile

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:40 pm

75, I ordered one of those LED light strips and see how they do over my little bench. I shall report back!
Best, Jerry

PS: Dr. Radio, that bench is just tooooo neat. I love it.

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

I could not begin to work in an area that neat. I would be afraid to move, for fear I would disturb something. I've never seen a bench that neat, Doc. Ever.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:02 pm

WHOA!

I want to stress, again, this is a once a solar eclipse type "sighting" Very Happy

Do you honestly think my bench looks like that day in and day out??!!

I did a "photo shoot" before one of my online projects Smile Had to tidy-up, but at any given time, there's parts to about 3 different projects scattered across it.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Still nice Dr. My secret is to clean it up and have nothing to work on. This approach seems to work well for the last couple of months after fixing my last!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Here is another thing that is very handy.  I use it at my bench and it puts put a very bright light.  When I drop a part on the floor, I shine this parallel to the floor and anything on the floor casts a long shadow and is easier to see.  This flashlight is bright and runs on 3 AA batteries.  It has magnets in one side so it will stick in place and light from metal surfaces.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/29-5620
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:18 pm

I've got two projects on the bench. My un finished RCA Victor radio tv chassis, and, the nearly finished amplifier to my RCA Victor record Demonstrator.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top