Am I too cheap??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Am I too cheap??

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 31, 2015 12:43 am

Am I too cheap or are folks asking way too much? I got contacted by someone who has a Magnavox astrosonic  stereo. After doing some searching online it looks to be a solid state stereo. It looks to be similar to this one.

Magnavox stereo

Here is the info she sent me on the records and stereo. She said there is 89 records.

"There's Ray Charles the supremes Dionne Warwick glen Campbell buck Owens bat king cole etc I know nothing about em.? I've looked thru them there are a lot of 33 1/3 RPM a lot of stereo and I know those are worth more and I also have mono and monaural then some high fidelity I'm not sure if that's mono/monaural? I've seen identical record players sell for between $125-$275 and some of these records I looked up and saw them priced from $27 and up so I really don't know."

This is my take. I get most of my radio/stereo stuff at radio meets,antique stores and junk stores. I also get most of my records at Goodwill for 99 cents. I have found a lot of records over the last year, probably 100. To me the stereo is useless. I have no room for such a large radio. Then 27 is way out of my price range for records I won't use. I am not into country, most of the time I play a record its something like Dean Martin, Percy Faith,etc. the easy listening of the late 50s/early 60s. The most I have paid for a record has been two bucks for a Dottie West album and the only reason I gave that was that she was my dad's cousin and I had nothing of hers. I got it at a antique store.

Considering all of that to me I wouldn't want to pay more than 20 to 30 bucks. This stuff she listed is worthless to me. If I was a flipper I don't think I would offer more than 50 bucks, hoping to get a buck apiece and maybe 25 to 50 for the stereo. Its to the point all I hear from folks where I post is folks who have no idea what stuff goes for and then tells me all these prices. There are a few pickers in my area that post on the sales site and now all I hear from are folks quoting these prices.

So is the huge solid state stuff getting pricey now? Should I buy every record I see now? So am I too cheap or are most folks expecting too much for stuff?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Am I too cheap??

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 31, 2015 1:03 am

You are not too cheap.  People watch these silly picker shows and think they have a gold mine if they own some old dog-eared solid state particle board POS.  The things are nearly worthless.  Buying a new needle for the phono would in many cases exceed the worth of the instrument.  If someone gives you one for, say, ten bucks and throws in a pile of records, you could enjoy the records or trade them off, or get your ten bucks from the records.  Most stacks of records are typically half Christmas records, which are incredibly worthless.  REALLY CHEAP solid state stereos may be desirable to some kid just getting "into vinyl."  Most discriminating and knowledgable stereo afficiandos want a component system with a modern turntable with lightweight cartridge.  I can still buy tube console stereos around here for under $100.  Nice ones.  Magnavox or Motorola.  If someone GAVE me an Astro-Sonic, depending on age, I would remove the changer and speakers and put the rest on the burn pile.  My. $02.  Good luck.

I've noticed records starting to increase in value.  I have had to step up to the plate occasionally when I wanted a record in a stack to complete my collection.  I'd say if the price of a record was acceptable to you, then that is what it was worth when you bought it.  Prices are all over the place on records.  I think $27 might be a tad steep, typically, but I sold a Bruce Springsteen album a couple years ago for $70 shipped.  That is the exception rather than the rule.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 31, 2015 1:45 am

It use to be that Yard sales and individuals would sell items at decent prices Then antique stores/flea markets were overpriced. I think now I have better luck at antique stores/flea markets and just shake my head at yard sales/individual folks. Yesterday I went to a small flea market on my way home from town. I picked up some aluminum siding coil for 3 bucks, a weller soldering gun that works and looks almost new for 5, a total of 7 CDs for a buck a piece,and a box for a buck.

The box was a interesting story. As you know I have started to try to wean myself to just RCA stuff. That is unless its a good deal. Anyway I was talking to this fellow I just bought the CDs from and asked about tube stuff. I looked at this box of vintage clothing patterns. He goes into the selling of the patterns and I said I like this box. He still goes on about making a deal of the patterns. I asked him if he would just sell the box and he said yes. I asked if he would take a buck for it and he said yes. It is a small box that the RCA C2E clock radio came it. It looks good enough to display. I want to find one of these and put with it. I will find one someday locally. I don't buy on ebay or stuff that needs to be shipped. Too much can go wrong in shipping and the thrill is in the hunt.

Today I was in the antique shop/estate resale shop and they lady had a b514 radio for 10 bucks. I picked it up. Anymore folks who have yard sales or individually want to sell ask way too much. There is a similar RCA tube radio someone locally has on craigslist and they want 40 bucks for. I have bought these similar radios from anywhere a buck to 15 at meets. And these people with the highest prices will not come down.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 31, 2015 10:22 am

Another factor that should be mentioned is the individual interpretation of what is a "reasonable" price. You and I are on the same page as far as that goes. But I have paid more than I wanted to get a specific item. Part of the fun for me is beating somebody up on price. I used to buy restored cars from heirs who had no interest or no knowledge of the car they were selling. I would use this against them and fairly steal the car. I do the same with electronic stuff I buy now. As my collection is really full, what I buy from now on has to be REALLY cheap, or free. It seem that I actually have more fun with cheap items. I avoid ebay and paying shipping. Shipping is in many cases more than I paid for the item. I'm too cheap to pay that money when I can't put my hand on what I paid my money for.

I have the best luck on Craigslist or at auctions. Antique stores around here just want too much for most anything. I have been wanting a Crosley 66TA for years. There is one in a local antique shop, missing a knob, but very nice otherwise. They want $110. I offered $40, which is over my limit. It is still there. It does not work. It will never sell at that money and the seller will not come down. I even stood there with folding money in my hand, still no deal. That situation is what frustrates me.

The guys on ARF gush about "a deal" on an old Zenith radio for $1500. Now this is for an 80 year old AM radio that sounds like an 80 year old AM radio after you replace all the wiring and restore it. That, to me, is ridiculous. Crazy money. So I guess you name your poison and roll the dice. And pay your money. I'm sure not smart enough to figure out folks sometimes.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am

I have so many radios that if I never bought another one in my life I would have enough to keep me going. What I would really like to find is an old storage building or place full of junk parts, tubes,parts , junk chassis, radios not restorable. But all I get contacted with is mint condition or newer stuff they want a lot for.

As far as ARF goes it sometimes cracks me up the attitudes there. I could get into it but we all know how they are. Anyway its funny how this stuff changes. 20 years ago when I repaired a tube radio it was lucky if I broke even while if I worked on a computer I could charge 50 bucks a repair and the people were happy. Now I would be lucky if I broke even working on a computer and if I fix a tube item the folks are tickled pink if I charge 50 bucks for a repair.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:37 am

A person can ask anything they want. Are they going to get it? It's up to you. You know you aren't going to sell it at a reasonable profit. That's the way it should come. You can explain it to them in a tactful manner. And that's all it should take. Resign yourself that their stuff is unobtainable.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:47 am

I quit working on other people's electronic items, partly due to a deal I got into on a guitar amp, and partly because people do not want to pay what it costs.  This is not 1935 anymore when it comes to parts prices.  They go up every time I have to restock, it seems.  And then the lifetime guarantee.  These old things broke all the time when they were newer.  How am I going to guarantee they won't break down 80 years down the road?  So now I fix my own stuff and everybody else can make other arrangements.  

I understand that people can ask any price they'd like. My frustration comes from finding an item I desperately want, only to have the seller price it unrealistically (to my way of thinking). People should research values and be reasonable. "First money is best money" is what my grandpa always told me. A man with cash money in his hand is a serious buyer. Not anymore, though.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:59 am

I have to give credit where it is due. There is a Magnavox stereo on Craigslist not too far from me. Two months ago, it was priced at $450. Then $400. I sent the seller an email stating my interest, but only if he would move the decimal point a couple notches to the left. He thanked me, politely, and that was that. The price continued to drop a little each week. It is now $50, ten dollars off my original offer. My offer is now $20. The seller seems reasonable and wants it to "go to a good home." We'll see. (My wife will nail my butt to the barn door, but that won't be the first time!)

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 31, 2015 6:15 pm

I don't see too many SS consoles around here anymore. However if I came across something like that Magnavox and it was in 100% working order, I'd pay up to 50.00. I know some have decent to nice 12" woofers in them and even sometimes 8" mid ranges paired with 2" or 3" tweeters and those kind of units sound really good for what they are. Now if I seen something like that at my local Goodwill, they would likely price it at anywhere from 60-80.00. The sad thing is that it would likely sell at that price.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun May 31, 2015 6:38 pm

You guys may not know this, but, when they went SS they crashed in quality. They were junk, and, broke down considerably often... It was the last gasp of breath for Magnavox.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 31, 2015 8:16 pm

It was the twilight of people wanting "nice things".
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top