EXIT sign

Go down

EXIT sign

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 3:50 pm

I picked up a nice LED lit EXIT sign today from a thrift store. They wanted 5.00 for it, but I talked them down to 3.00. I was willing to take a chance on it being operational for 3.00 since it uses a small step-down transformer. I know if it needed a transformer it would cost me more than 5.00 to get one. Not certain of the voltage but I'd guess 12, 24 or 48 since it has resistors in series with the LED's. It also has battery back up. That is a 3.6 volt NiCad battery, which is shot since it had corrosion coming out of it. I figured if I wanted to run it on batteries I could easily install a 2 or 4 AA holder in there and use those instead of an probably 10 or 12.00 battery. I have always wanted an exit sign for some odd reason, but an older one with light bulbs in it. But I can't go wrong with this one for the price.

tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: EXIT sign

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 pm

For that price you did really well. I just can't quite figure out where I would post one of those. Perhaps over the back door? alien alien
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 5:09 pm

That's what I thought. The problem with over my back door is there are no plugs near-by and it would be really difficult to wire it in parallel with my back porch light. However that does give me the idea of putting above my front door, except on the outside. I could easily parallel it with the porch light or put a plug adapter in it and plug it in out there. That would confuse lots of people.. lol I'd also be getting lots of people asking me why do you have a flipping exit sign above the front door..
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Are you sure you want a red light on your porch?
75X11

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

75, you are really thinking outside the box! Smile
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Yeah, it is not like having a red light bulb out there. Although most of the people around me probably don't even know what the meaning of a red porch light is. I know the meaning, or at least what used to be said about having a red porch light because I never knew if it was actually true. It likely won't be noticeable until you walk up onto the porch to go inside. Yes, 75 is thinking outside the box for sure!!!
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 29, 2015 6:36 pm

I found out when I put a red bulb in my grandparents' porch light. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri May 29, 2015 8:14 pm

The rail road workers would go into town and hang their red lanterns outside the door of the "establishment," hence the origin. At least that is what I heard and really don't know.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Sounds good to me.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 8:39 pm

I was told about the supposed meaning years ago when I was going to put a red light outside.
N7ZAL, I never heard that but it does make sense. I just always knew what it was supposed to mean and never knew if it was fact or fiction. Usually I won't put a single red bulb outside mainly because I don't like that color. I will always pair it with a green bulb, which is always during the Christmas season. Now earlier I googled the meaning of a red light outside just out of curiosity to see what type of things people come up with. The most popular thing was "the red light district" for the origins of the red light outside. Is that accurate? No idea. Is the railroad origin accurate, No idea. Do both make great stories or conversation? Yup.. Will we ever know the true meaning or origins? Who knows..
Anyways, I got it put up above my door, just hung on a screw with steel wire holding it and plugged in. I'll flip it on when it gets dark and see if it gets noticed. There is still about 2-2.5 hours of daylight left here, so it will be close to 3 hours before it gets turned on.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 pm

It'd be nice if you could get another front panel for it and put your address number on it.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri May 29, 2015 8:52 pm

There may be several explanations for the origin of things and I enjoy the entomology. The reason a barber pole is red and white is supposed to be because they would do surgery in the early days and would wrap the bloody rags around the pole outside.

Regardless, if you have the word "exit" you should be safe and not have a lot of knocks on the door.  Smile
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 pm

75, I thought about that earlier. I'm sure it could be done. I know a guy that does metal fabrication, he could very easily cut numbers out of a thin piece of steel. However it would likely only cost me a little bit more for him to make me a box similar to the size of the exit sign for a lighted address sign. I wouldn't want my address red, it would have to be green or blue.
N7ZAL, I know exactly what you mean. I enjoy it also, or else I wouldn't of looked it up or be discussing it right now.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri May 29, 2015 9:21 pm

You could always print out a decal from a text processing program, and use it as a mask on the inside of a piece of plexiglass...or glass? LED, so no heat would be involved?
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 pm

True, that would be something to think about sometime down the road.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 30, 2015 1:00 am

If you changed the letters from "E-X-I-T" to "B-E-E-R" you might find "friends" you did not know you had. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4996
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 am

Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down