Time marches on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Time marches on

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 22, 2015 10:37 pm

I learned today that you cannot buy an "incandescent" #6014 headlamp bulb anymore. All I could get was halogen. I had to change both headlamp bulbs, because the truck would not pass inspection with one headlamp brighter than the other. GM does not make an oil filter for a 454 Chevrolet V-8. You gotta buy a Wix. I can still buy a Delco battery for it, but my local dealer has to order it in, they don't stock it. Fel-Pro still makes the good rubber valve cover gaskets, though. Those need changed every five years or so. I can't get Type A transmission fluid for it. I have to use Dexron/Mercon 3 or some such sauce. Shell Rotella oil now comes in gallon containers for the same price that five quarts used to cost. My old faithful pickup and I are going to wear out about the same time. We have both been in the family since we were babies. It is getting a little rough around the edges, like me.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Time marches on

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 pm

I always get the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 to do my changes. They only seem to sell them at the chain autoparts stores and Walmart. One other nice thing about those halogen headlamps, if your headlamp wiring doesn't have a relay cutout, they cause heat buildup at any switch or connector in the circuit due to the higher bulb wattage. They burned the connections and light switch and multifunction (dimmer) switch on my Bronco II.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 23, 2015 12:16 am

I'm hoping the Chevy has more robust wiring. I have halogens in my old Buick with no problems so far.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 am

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 am

Thank you. That is not in Bugtussle, USA, on the last day of getting the truck inspected. Nor was that available in the shop doing the inspection that day. We had to get these from Walmart, since NAPA did not carry them in any description. We have an O'Reilly's, a brand new whiz bang NAPA, a Parts Plus and an independent parts store in this little town. Walmart was the only place that had a headlamp for a 1973 Chevrolet truck. Personnel at each of those parts stores told the inspection shop that 6014's were no longer available. The last common application for this headlamp in Chevrolet trucks was 1980.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top